NGD - OMG!!!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Nice tunes and nice playing @AliGorie. ; Will try the DR and Newtones. Cheers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Congratulation and heres to a long and happy relationship. There is something magical about playing and growing into a bond with a great acoustic guitar. As for strings, I've tried everything over the years and still come back to the simplicity of good old D'addario's. 
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    jellyroll said:
    Nice tunes and nice playing @AliGorie. ;; Will try the DR and Newtones. Cheers.
      didn'tmean to crash u'r NGD with the vids but I put the two links and it's 'embedding' one ???.

I've writen bout (my) experiences of wire on guitars somewhere on here - the better the guitar the more it highlights the strings - if u've an ear to hear, cheaper strings are, just that - made to a cost and made to last fairly well deliberately so, because of the alloys employed, they know people are 'driven' by price. Whereas manufacturers that use quality raw materials - obviously will cost more and is reflected in the retail price. If you have 'killer sweat' quality strings die more quickly.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    AliGorie said:
    jellyroll said:
    Nice tunes and nice playing @AliGorie. ;; Will try the DR and Newtones. Cheers.
      didn'tmean to crash u'r NGD with the vids but I put the two links and it's 'embedding' one ???.

I've writen bout (my) experiences of wire on guitars somewhere on here - the better the guitar the more it highlights the strings - if u've an ear to hear, cheaper strings are, just that - made to a cost and made to last fairly well deliberately so, because of the alloys employed, they know people are 'driven' by price. Whereas manufacturers that use quality raw materials - obviously will cost more and is reflected in the retail price. If you have 'killer sweat' quality strings die more quickly.

Agreed. I'm not interested in the cheapest strings. As I've got a top drawer guitar, I want the best strings. And, I will pay £18 for the SC strings if they are indeed "better" than the other brands.  So it comes down to experimentation, comparing them with the DRs, etc.

There's a psychological aspect too. (Which cynics might say is what SC are preying on). There's a voice in my head saying I should buy the strings that are "designed" for the guitar.

I suppose, it also comes down to how often I find myself changing strings. If the SC strings last a week, then 18 quid a pop will get annoying quickly. If they last 3 months, it's not such a biggie.   

• LozboyLozboy Frets: 80
    Lovely guitar what a great treat.Enjoy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    Beautiful. Enjoy!

I've just got a parlour guitar for my 50th - not that standard though! But apart from checking that it had arrived in one piece I'm not allowed to even strum it until "the day". I'm looking forward to it though...
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Happy birthday and congratulations. 3 of the top 5 acoustics I've played were SCGCs. The other two were old, well played Martins.

IMO SCs are the best of the best.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Parabolic strings?
    Sounds like a very important scientific breakthrough and not a moment too soon.
    At long last strings will no longer hamper my playing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    AliGorie said:

yeah JR, quality engorged 'OM's' are super versatile - delicate fingerpicking to strident session / jam playing, all the dynamics are there. I got a Bourgie JOM in the '90's mainly for gigging though it can be subtle as well.
    What depth is the grand ? the JOM is Dread size - 4 7/8.
    Good instruments should be having the effect  -"come on big boy - is that all u can do - cause I can do a lot more"  stretching u as a player  =).
    give it a few years of good playing (all over the neck) and u'll pick it up one day and it'll hit u - sonic fulfillment <3
    happy pickin
    I measured the lower bout last night - it's 4 1/8 ......so you've got 3/4 of an inch on me.....
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited March 2017
    jellyroll said:
    AliGorie said:

yeah JR, quality engorged 'OM's' are super versatile - delicate fingerpicking to strident session / jam playing, all the dynamics are there. I got a Bourgie JOM in the '90's mainly for gigging though it can be subtle as well.
    Good instruments should be having the effect  -"come on big boy - is that all u can do - cause I can do a lot more"  stretching u as a player  .
    give it a few years of good playing (all over the neck) and u'll pick it up one day and it'll hit u - sonic fulfillment 3
    happy pickin
    I measured the lower bout last night - it's 4 1/8 ......so you've got 3/4 of an inch on me.....
    Sounds like it's SC's take on Martin's M / 0000 body size. OM depth but with a wider lower bout. That will really give you the best of both worlds, comfy to play, clarity of the OM with a little more air moving, but without getingt boomy on the low end.  One of Martin's most underrated body sizes and it only came about after a C series Martin arch top was effectively turned into a flat top for an artist at which point they discovered a great idea. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    jellyroll said:
    AliGorie said:

Good instruments should be having the effect  -"come on big boy - is that all u can do - cause I can do a lot more"  stretching u as a player  =).
    give it a few years of good playing (all over the neck) and u'll pick it up one day and it'll hit u - sonic fulfillment <3
    happy pickin

that 3/4" can make all the difference to the bottom end.

I know, I know, it was a cheap and easy laugh, but it's my day off today so I'm in a simple mood.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    artiebear said:
    jellyroll said:
    AliGorie said:

Good instruments should be having the effect  -"come on big boy - is that all u can do - cause I can do a lot more"  stretching u as a player  .
    give it a few years of good playing (all over the neck) and u'll pick it up one day and it'll hit u - sonic fulfillment 3
    happy pickin
    Sounds like it's SC's take on Martin's M / 0000 body size. OM depth but with a wider lower bout. That will really give you the best of both worlds, comfy to play, clarity of the OM with a little more air moving, but without getingt boomy on the low end.  One of Martin's most underrated body sizes and it only came about after a C series Martin arch top was effectively turned into a flat top for an artist at which point they discovered a great idea. 

I really liked the M-36 I tried - only did so because I'd never heard of it before and without wanting to sound like a brochure it really did seem to sit right in the middle of the picker/dreadnaught camps. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    VimFuego said:I know, I know, it was a cheap and easy laugh, but it's my day off today so I'm in a simple mood.
    And you saved me from having to do it....