Expression/volume pedals?

zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
edited March 2017 in FX
I've recently bought an overdrive pedal (Bogner La Grange) that has the option to use an expression/volume pedal to vary the gain. The problem I have is the vast choice of pedals available has left me a bit confused! Could you good people advise/suggest a straight forward no thrills pedal to do the job please?
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Moog EP-3 should get the job done for not a lot of cash.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    As above - I've just bought a Moog EP-3 to use with an AX8 and really like it. Cracking value for money. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Unless you want a mini sized one or a programmable one or a very heavy duty one then the Moog EP3 is the schizzle. I've got one and a Roland one which is more expensive but I prefer the Moog. 
    I'm tempted by the new Boss one because it can work on two pedals but it's £85 which, for me, would be a lot of money for a tiny improvement in functionality. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    I just bought an M-Audio EX-P.

It's not going to be my weapon of choice if I'm ever called upon to beat a man to death with one of my pedals (I reckon a wah pedal would be best), but it only cost £14.

Worth confirming with Bogner and/or interwebs forums that whatever you plan to choose will definitely work with your pedal- I don't think expression pedals are all exactly the same- I had to mod mine to work with my M5.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Bogner say you need a volume pedal with 25k ohm resistance which is what the Moog EP3 has. Line 6 products (like the M5) don't work with standard expression pedals, quick google says they need 10k ohm and a mono connector whereas a trs connector is pretty much the standard for everyone else. The La Grange manual doesn't specify trs but it says trs on their other pedals and it is pretty standard. 
    Quick google suggests the M audio is 10k ohm, if that's right it wouldn't meet Bogner's spec which, as I understand it,  doesn't mean it won't work, just means it might not work. 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited March 2017
    Thank you everyone, once again you've been a great help. @EricTheWeary  so would you recommend I get a TRS cable just in case? I need to get one anyway for my Malekko so it won't go to waste if it's not needed.

EDIT: scrap that question it seems the pedal comes with a TRS cable anyway.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Wish I had known about that Moog before I splurged on my Dunlop Volume X mini. That being said, it's excellent, flexible and small too.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    The Moog comes with a TRS cable... 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    I ordered an M-Audio EX-P yesterday. I'm not expecting it to blow my mind but for £14 brand new I suspect it will do nicely for messing about at home. Will report back when I get it.
    The cable on the Roland and, I think, on the M Audio are wired in whereas on the Moog it plugs in. Somewhere in my brain it occurred to me that if I damaged the cable with the Moog I'd just have to buy another one whereas with my Roland I'd have to rewire stuff. The M Audio pedal can't cost much more than just a cable though so that's forgiven! 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    I ordered an M-Audio EX-P yesterday. I'm not expecting it to blow my mind but for £14 brand new I suspect it will do nicely for messing about at home. Will report back when I get it.
    What are you going to be using it with?

I had to mod mine to work with the Line 6 M5- there's a resistor in series with the pot in the pedal, so when it's at maximum it's not *really* at the maximum value of the pot. You need to cut one end of the resistor and bridge the connections with another wire. It's a five minute job.

Build quality is maybe slightly better than I expected- it doesn't feel quite as flimsy as the Bespeco volume pedal I bought years back to control my DL-4 but it's certainly not something you'd describe as "heavy duty". 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• I would recommend Dunlop Volume X or Volume X Mini. Doubles as a Volume pedal, and you can actually use them simultaneously. Stick the volume bit in a loop switcher and you have an expression pedal and switchable volume pedal. Boom.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    What are you going to be using it with?
    Boss RE-20. I'm not sure how much I'll actually use it and it certainly won't get gigged so that's why I went for a cheapy.