Where to buy pre cut nut

What's Hot
underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
I have a Harley Benton explorer and the nut broke years ago, snapped by the high E string so doesn't hold it in place.

Where is the best place to buy one from that's going to be as close to a drop in and play it fit as it can be? I think it's 43mm in width, have to find my calipers to measure it tonight.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I found that Tusq virtually drop in on the  parts casters  and Fenders I have
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    I would go for Tusq too - it's self-lubricating to some extent, and also tough rather than brittle… two things that matter on an Explorer as you've already found :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    +1 for Tusq too, put one in my old Strat a few years ago and it did a sterling job.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Thank you, I presume just get some accurate measurements of existing nut and order one that matches 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6110
    At a glance the title to this thread looks rather rude B)  
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    underdog said:
    Thank you, I presume just get some accurate measurements of existing nut and order one that matches 
    Make sure you buy one with a flat not curved bottom too (assuming yours had/has flat)
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3452
    I got mine from a local guitar shop.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    robgilmo said:
    I got mine from a local guitar shop.No chance of that around my town, there isn't a guitar shop.
  • HalikusHalikus Frets: 59
    Another +1 for tusq.  I replaced the nut on my Epi LP last night and was pleasantly surprised at the tonal improvment (went from buzzy and thin sounding to thick and smooth) and the ease of cutting the new slots to the correct depth.  You will need to have the nut slots cut as theres not a hope a new nut will just drop in and be correct.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    I can possibly help if I have dimensions as I keep Tusq nuts in stock - you will still have some cutting to do though

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

I can possibly help if I have dimensions as I keep Tusq nuts in stock - you will still have some cutting to do though
    Cool, I will give it a measure when I get home thanks.
  • I've had good results with Graphtec types, but there's always some sanding on the bottom to be done to bring the height down. I normally do this with sand paper, placing a builders rule on the paper to provide a 90 degree guide to keep the bottom of the nut square with the front face. Mark the height you need to go down to from the old nut, then as you get close, keep trying the new nut in place, rather than just relying on the mark you made.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Do you guys know anything about Graphtech NuBone? I have one on my Vintage which sort of needs a new nut. I'm just curious as to how it compares to TUSQ. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7030
    tFB Trader
    It's the cheaper end of the Graphtech range, but still okay.
  • doogz84doogz84 Frets: 206
    Many have said so already, but I replaced the broken nut on the Epi Explorer I acquired a few years ago with a "Black Tusq XL"

Dead easy, almost perfect fit, very easy to sand, self lubricating, and cost me about 7 quid to buy.
    doogz84 said:
    Many have said so already, but I replaced the broken nut on the Epi Explorer I acquired a few years ago with a "Black Tusq XL"

Dead easy, almost perfect fit, very easy to sand, self lubricating, and cost me about 7 quid to buy.

I just have to remember to measure the old nut at some point :D