Unusual electricial problem

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4982
Only the second time I ever found this type of fault. My golf trolley stopped working on the golf course yesterday. No choice but to push it all the way back to my car in the car park. The problem was the copper wires inside the cable insulation corroded away and a short piece of "good" looking cable had to be replaced. Finding this fault took some time, fixing it was easy enough. I found a similar problem on a Honda 50 motorcycle over 40 years ago. On the Honda, the cable between the battery terminal and the inline fuse holder was corroded and open circuit as a result. An easy fix. One thing is that you can never take anything for granted when looking for a fault. A seemingly good cable can be the culprit. Good outcome in my case, the trolley got a reprieve from the bin and might give another season or two service.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Must have had water seeping inside the insulation, can't imagine how copper wire would corrode any other way.  Where do you store the trolley? 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    I keep the trolley in my dry garage. TBH I don't know why this happened but the cable was completely corroded through. It must be a manufacturing fault or problem as the insulation was perfectly intact. Oddly the copper wired were a blue grey colour and most strands had turned to metallic dust like consistency. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

The problem was your electricity wasn't clean enough. Have you thought about investing in a Barry Noggins Premium Electricity Scrubbing Filter:

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    @Rocker is brave starting a thread about cables.  People are slipping though.  3 posts and nothing about Russ Andrews.  I'm sure he would sell you a replacement cable (at a price).
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10406
    I think the problem is caused by the cable not being pure enough copper to begin with and thus you get a electrolysis effect which corrodes the cable ... as I said I think I'm not certain but I see this on mobility scooters which need extremely low resistiance paths from battery to Triac board to motor
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Did it smell burnt? If the copper has gone a different colour could be it's been overloaded.  
    :) The cable did not look damaged and it did not smell burnt.  In fact it looked perfect except that my voltmeter displayed zero volts and vigorous shaking did not do anything so it was apparent that something was wrong between the battery and the control box [about 40 cms].

I was thinking that the sealed motor control box was blown.  I first checked the speed control on the handle of the trolley.  It looked OK.  If the motor control box was blown, the trolley was destined for the recycling depot.  The battery, a Lithium unit, is very expensive [€250 three years ago] so it could be used in a new trolley.

As I wrote in the first post above, I only encountered this type of fault once before.  Keep it and the solution at the back of your mind, you might come across something similar in the years to come.  And you will know what to do.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Has it been squashed at some point, this happens to golf trolley cables a lot....the pvc insulation tends to return to its shape but the copper doesnt 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    Good question @spark240 but no. The cable was secured to the motor housing with 2 factory fitted cable ties. It is almost impossible to crush the cable where it was fitted.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    The electrolysys idea is a good one. Sometimes the crimped on connectors at the end are enough so that over time the copper will degrade and fail to conduct. Even BT made the mistake of using ali wire against copper when it seemed a cheap alternative 40 years ago, the ongoing repair costs since suggest it was a false economy.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Danny1969 said:
    I think the problem is caused by the cable not being pure enough copper to begin with and thus you get a electrolysis effect which corrodes the cable ... as I said I think I'm not certain but I see this on mobility scooters which need extremely low resistiance paths from battery to Triac board to motor
    Aha! Finally a worthwhile use for giant oxygen-free-copper speaker cables :).

ESBlonde said:
    The electrolysys idea is a good one. Sometimes the crimped on connectors at the end are enough so that over time the copper will degrade and fail to conduct.
    I see this quite a lot with the speaker connections in old amps too - it's one of the main reasons crimp connectors are less reliable than soldered joints.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

The problem was not the connectors failing, it was in the cable itself. The insulation looked fine, the wires inside the insulation were corroded and like a grey blue metallic dust

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Rocker said:
    The problem was not the connectors failing, it was in the cable itself. The insulation looked fine, the wires inside the insulation were corroded and like a grey blue metallic dust

When people are talking about electroloysis in this context, I they mean galvanic corrosion due to ion migration. I think! They could be talking about hair removal!