Strings - what do you use, where do you get yours and how much do you pay?

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26461
    I've always used Elixirs since they came out - happy to pay £15 for a pack of strings if they last twice as long as normal (and they last at least three times as long) because I hate changing them.

However, currently got a set of NYXLs on my main guitar, and I'm definitely preferring them. Time will tell in terms of how long they last...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23964
    D'addario Pro Steels or Thomastik Flats.

Amazon usually for the D'addario's, but sometimes String Busters. Bass strings seem to vary in price a lot.

Thomann are usually cheapest for the TI flats even with £10 delivery. But they last an easy 5 years so it's not really an issue!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I tend to buy bulk packs of 10 from however has the best price when I need them, change all my guitars in one night and have a couple of sets left over.

Back in my youth when I was gigging a lot, I would change my main guitar and clean it after every gig!
    Was often 3 times a week.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    VimFuego said:
    I steal them from floppy haired youths at the local college. You know the sort, are doing some sort of arts course, go around with a guitar in a gig bag on their shoulders thinking it makes them look all cool and interesting.
    I used to be one of those, although I was doing music, ahhhh back when I was skinny, mind you I couldn't afford to eat, some bastard kept nicking my strings!!!!!
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I've always used Elixirs since they came out - happy to pay £15 for a pack of strings if they last twice as long as normal (and they last at least three times as long) because I hate changing them.

However, currently got a set of NYXLs on my main guitar, and I'm definitely preferring them. Time will tell in terms of how long they last...
    I would like an update on this, I'm an Elixir guy too. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26461

I would like an update on this, I'm an Elixir guy too. 
    That was my update ;)

They definitely feel like they're lower-tension than Elixirs at the same gauge (to the point where I had to adjust the truss rod to compensate), and it's much easier to pull squealies out of them than with Elixirs. I haven't been playing a huge amount since I put them on - probably about 5 hours or so - but they're not showing any signs of gumming up like normal D'Addarios would've by now.
    <space for hire>
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Another NYXL fan here. Awesome strings and so bendy.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    crunchman said:
    @guitars4you had a good deal at the Guitar show in Birmingham so I bought some there.

I did this too. I've done the Strings Direct/Stringbusters thing but their prices seem to be creeping up a bit. I've stopped using Ebay because I had some very stale d'addarios that I couldn't say weren't fake. I use EB Super Slinky's on my LP and D'addario EXL120s on my Strats and pointys. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14036
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    @guitars4you had a good deal at the Guitar show in Birmingham so I bought some there.

I did this too. I've done the Strings Direct/Stringbusters thing but their prices seem to be creeping up a bit. I've stopped using Ebay because I had some very stale d'addarios that I couldn't say weren't fake. I use EB Super Slinky's on my LP and D'addario EXL120s on my Strats and pointys. 
    I've heard of a few D'addario fakes on e-bay and I believe this is why D'addario have changed the packaging a few times over recent years
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Am I having dejavu or didn't we have a similar thread on this a couple of months ago?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7745
    Dr Pure Blues 11's...Skinky Cobalt 11's, and Tomastik flats 11's.  I usually buy in bulk when I'm in the USA.  They tend to be a lot cheaper there.  
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    Voxman said:
    Am I having dejavu or didn't we have a similar thread on this a couple of months ago?
    You could probably say that about 95% of the topics on the forum.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    I use Elixirs. Expensive in general, but i've always found last ages. Especially if you've got a few guitars that you dont necessarily play all the time. They'll still feel and sound nice even after a few gigs, then a week or 2 in the case. I always found that most strings would go grubby / rusty after a few gigs or if they sat in a case for long. But I've probably got pretty acidic sweat or something haha.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • £43 delivered is still pretty good.
    I've always bought bulk loads d'addarios.
    I'd rather paid £35-odd for 10 sets than £5-£7 for when I need them.
    I dread to think how much they've gone up now, but I bought 20 sets before and 20 more after Brexit. Should last me a couple of years. Hopefully.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9552
    edited March 2017
    D'addarios for me from wherever is nearest. Trouble with the sets though is that if you break a string, you need to change two thanks to their ridiculous two per envelope packaging.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15477
    BTW, no one is allowed to complain about strings until the play the violin, or even worse the cello.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    ash96 said:
    But I've probably got pretty acidic sweat or something haha.
    You are the Alien and I claim my five pounds :)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    octatonic said:
    And yet I never see threads that really interest - like what strings people use - and where to buy them cheaply.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom