Strings - what do you use, where do you get yours and how much do you pay?

What's Hot

Comments

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    DR pure blues (pure nickel) usually buy a few sets from best priced good feedback eBay seller at time.  Usually £6 - £7
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    octatonic said:
    Am I having dejavu or didn't we have a similar thread on this a couple of months ago?
    And yet I never see threads that really interest - like what strings people use - and where to buy them cheaply.
    Really? I think there was one recently..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14195
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    Am I having dejavu or didn't we have a similar thread on this a couple of months ago?
    And yet I never see threads that really interest - like what strings people use - and where to buy them cheaply.
    it is plain to see that you can get wound up quite easily
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14195
    tFB Trader
    I recall a customer coming to the shop once and asking for a set of Dean Martin strings

I'm not sure if he meant Martin or Dean Markley
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    On eBay now you can buy 6 packs of roto pinks (9's) or yellows (10's) for  £19.99 posted....so I just got some. :-)
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    12s for acoustics, archtops, and electrics.

i like the elixir for the acoustic, they actually live up to what it says on the packet.  D'addairo chromes for achtops, and Ernie Balls for electrics (which is out of apathy TBH).
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    I recall a customer coming to the shop once and asking for a set of Dean Martin strings

I'm not sure if he meant Martin or Dean Markley
    You should have sold him some Michael Balls....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LozboyLozboy Frets: 80
    edited March 2017
    jellyroll said:
    Be careful in your quest for the cheapest. I've bought bulk over the internet before in what looked like a good deal...only to discover I've been sent 10 packs of rusty, presumably fake, strings.
     I had the same experience with some d addario electric strings.It can be a real pain if you have a Gig or like me took the tension off a vintage guitar hoping to return it ASAP.
     At least you know when strings & things will arrive&they are normally fresh.  
      They should make manufacturers put "sell by dates" on them like they do with batteries 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    D'Addario 10's at £14.99 for a triple pack from Amazon. Or in single packs whenever I feel like going to a shop. Which is bad because it usually leads to a frivolous gas purchase...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    £35 a set. 

And you only get 4 of the buggers for that.

You lot have it easy. And is it just me or does this thread come up quite regularly.. I'm getting a real...

oh. I see.
    (It's about time we had another Terry Morgan thread - haven't had one of those for aaaaaages)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • im just intrigued to know why they are actually called strings when clearly they are made of wire (or nylon) should we be asking for a set of "wires" or " nylons"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I believe they were originally made from string..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Bax Music seem to be the cheapest around at the moment (£38 for 10). Granted, you do have to pay shipping under £100, but if you are ordering other stuff it's a great price. 

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/electric-guitar-strings/daddario-exl110-10p-string-set-for-electric-guitar-10-sets?q=daddar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    usedtobe said:
    I believe they were originally made from string..
    They were originally made from Gut.

"Hello, Mr Music Shop Owner, I would like a packet of your finest guts please"

"Get out.."
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    im just intrigued to know why they are actually called strings when clearly they are made of wire (or nylon) should we be asking for a set of "wires" or " nylons"
    This rather literal interpretation could be problematic when applied to much guitar terminology.

Bridges aren't made from bridges, necks are not made of necks, tuners aren't made from tuna - and nuts aren't made from nuts....
    im just intrigued to know why they are actually called strings when clearly they are made of wire (or nylon) should we be asking for a set of "wires" or " nylons"
    This rather literal interpretation could be problematic when applied to much guitar terminology.

Bridges aren't made from bridges, necks are not made of necks, tuners aren't made from tuna - and nuts aren't made from nuts....
    Headstocks aren't made from heads, Knobs aren't made from knobs, scratchplates aren't made from plates, jack sockets aren't made from bits of jack..

You're on to something here, @richardhomer - the guitar industry has been fooling us all these years. Goddamit. 

Terry Morgan was right all along.............

And on that bombshell.. (which is made neither of bombs, nor shells..)
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3617
    I just buy whichever good quality brand is on special at the time, using Rotosounds, EB's and D'addarios at the moment.

I remember paying around a fiver for a set of EB's in a music shop around thirty years ago, amazing the price hasn't changed much.
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    Good thread, I need to buy some new strings in bulk.. 

I used to use Curt Mangan, bought from their European website. The first order arrived and I was pretty impressed. Their coated Matt Schofield set seems perfect for me with their slightly heavier wound strings. And they last ages, had 1 set on just over 12 months on my main gigging Tele, that only gets used at gigs.. And that's nearly 60 gigs on that set of strings. 

I bought some more CM strings from the same place and they are rubbish, rust spots all over them.. 

Emailed them, no reply. Tweeted them, nothing for 6 months, then a reply from Curt saying he was going to replace them all.. That was November.

No replacements have arrived. 

Back to Ernie Ball! 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648

Terry Morgan was right all along.............

:lol: