Guide price for Abbey Ybarra handwound '1960 Relic' Strat pickups?

What's Hot
WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 168
Anyone got a rough idea how much a used set of these is worth please?
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    £250 ish on a private sale - I've seen some asking more than that, so your shout
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 168
    @guitars4you ok thanks, good to know

• andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1155
    from what I've seen, the ones with her full signature are the ones she wound herself - they seem to command big money.............the ones which just have her initials are the ones she "overseen" when they were being wound., they don't seem to get as much.
    from what I've seen, the ones with her full signature are the ones she wound herself - they seem to command big money.............the ones which just have her initials are the ones she "overseen" when they were being wound., they don't seem to get as much.
    Ok I'll have to take them out and check them at some point.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    I must say, I thought this was all cack, until I bought a MB with a set in and they sound and feel, superb.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    if they just say AY on them, then they are hand wound by Abby's team but not by Abby - all those personally wound by Abby are signed Abby - generally a gold felt tip pen and yes this will have an impact on the price
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    You might have a point @Loobs but the signed Abby Ybarra pickups on my CS Strat sound great and the guitar is a keeper.  Whatever the winding method or how it is done, the sound is top notch IMHO.  Whatever, if anything, the pickups are adding to the mix, I cannot say but they are staying where they are.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    I'm sure they sound good and she's a great pickup winder, but this is Fender marketing spiel in the extreme.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Probably best to sell them separately as they don't seem to add any value when sold with the guitar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WillEdmunds. If you decide to sell let me know!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    WillEdmunds. If you decide to sell let me know!

Probably will do. Will keep you posted. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Loobs said:
    Where can I get some of this from? I've a vintage bass that I'd like to sound awesome....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fenderman1fenderman1 Frets: 24
    edited March 2017
    Thanks I really like the Abby's I've had a few sets in the past.
  • jimificationjimification Frets: 161
    edited March 2017
    Loobs said:
    I'm sure they sound good and she's a great pickup winder, but this is Fender marketing spiel in the extreme.

Given that in the same factory (ie: Fender CS), presumably, the pickup body would be the same / standardised, the wire used would be the same and the number of turns would be the same, what would the difference be between one person winding the pickup over another person who has watched her and done it a few times? Also, you could, technically, do this "moving the wire from one side to the other" bit with a machine in an emergency, surely?... perhaps there is more to it?

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Utter snake oil, any hand wound pickup wound by a competent maker will be just as good, its copper wire wound around magnets it's not magic. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

For balance, I didn't like the handwounds in my Strat. She must have had an off day.

They seem to be worth a fair bit now though, so I kind of wish I still had them so I could sell them.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Anyone got a rough idea how much a used set of these is worth please?

Everyone knows she has magic fingers!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I heard that it was the gossip about last night's TV shows that happened on the factory floor that gave it the real magic. If the shows the night before were particularly good, then the winding was tighter and a bit more scattered - thus making the tone amazing.

Try and pick a set that have the date as the day after Bobby came out of the shower on Dallas..
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1155
    Conversely avoid the ones dated the day after Daphne died in Neighbours
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom