Decent tonebender MKII clones

What's Hot
elmsyelmsy Frets: 1
Looking for a decent clone, has anyone had any experience with any and what would you recommend?
Budget is £150
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    I'd suggest dropping Jimmy Behan a line over in Ireland. I had a Vox Tonebender off him and it was immaculately done and sounded really fab. He's got a great rep in the fuzz community.

https://reverb.com/uk/shop/super-electric-effects
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    The guitarist in my band has a clone he's selling - I think it was a BYOC kit that he had professionally assembled, but I'm not sure. I'll ask...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I was looking around for one for quite a while, and almost ordered a Britbender. But I came across a Retro Channel 'The Fuzz' for about 8000 yen (that's less than 60 quid) in a second-hand shop, and that seems to do the trick for me. It is based on the Mk II, though it's actually silicon not germanium (which can be an advantage in terms of stability). Some complain that the volume has to be dimed to get unity, though I haven't found that.

That would be a relatively cheap option for this sort of pedal if you could find one (they're about a hundred quid to order, I think): whether it would work for you depends on how authentic and boutiquey you want to get. I'm sure Jimmy Behan's work would be better, but it's likely to be pushing your budget.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited March 2017
    @juansolo does a Tonebender clone.  I can guarantee the parts and build quality will be excellent.  

http://juansolo.co.uk/stompage/std-fuzz.html
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    I don't do a MkII as getting good transistors is a nightmare. I do a 1976 Jumbo Tonebender/B&M Fuzz Unit clone currently which is a bit different and IMO the best fuzz ever.
  • jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    Check out the hudson electronics, stroll on, great tonebender clone for reasonable money, but most importantly sounds great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    juansolo said:
    I don't do a MkII as getting good transistors is a nightmare. I do a 1976 Jumbo Tonebender/B&M Fuzz Unit clone currently which is a bit different and IMO the best fuzz ever.

--- how do you use your 76JTB by the way? I like mine a lot but was wondering how you set yours. 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    This does not help you but a had a marvellous one bought off eBay .. sounded perfect, gritty, powerful, the only thing was it wouldn't power well in my daisy chain, it would work fine on batteries, so i sent it back and regretted it ever since .. it would have been a pain unplugging cables each time to stop battery draining but it sounded so good .. wonderful cowgirl graphic too
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    juansolo said:
    Well that'll teach me to read the thread title properly. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Just watched the Ramble twin tone bender video with Pete Thorn...wow, what a cool great sounding pedal!

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigRedOneBigRedOne Frets: 67
    +1 for the Ramble - it's the closest I've heard to my old DAM tonebender
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641
    juansolo said:

--- how do you use your 76JTB by the way? I like mine a lot but was wondering how you set yours. 

Finally got mine back the other day after a long loan out (the other guitarist in our band loves it).   I normally just set it as I go, however I feel at the time, but had good fun the other day with vol on full and gain on minimum.  Tone was about 3/4.

There's still some fuzz, but it's more like a woman tone, almost cocked wah esque.  Definitely not transparent but a nice thick sustaining boost.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Any good?

PM me if you're interested and I'll pass on your details to him.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Check out the hudson electronics, stroll on, great tonebender clone for reasonable money, but most importantly sounds great.
    Yes! Agreed.

https://hudsonelectronicsuk.com/stroll-on/
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    juansolo said:

Generally with the vol and gain on about 3 o'clock in full stoner mode ;) Tone adjusted to taste.

...and after discovering a bag of Ge trannies we totally forgot we had, we'll make a mkII out of it and see how it turns out ;)