Recommendations for blackface-type amp heads - Morgan SW50R / EZG-50 etc.

WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 168
edited March 2017 in Amps
Hi all,

Having sold my Slant 6V combo I'm back looking for the perfect second amp to complement my Rambler.

Tempted as I am by another 1x12 combo like a Skylark or Impala, I'm going to stick with the search for a single channel head and 2x12 cab that does the massive punchy blackface type clean tone thing and has good reverb, and use pedals for overdrive.

The Dr Z EZG-50 sounds like it could be a contender, and Dan Patlansky certainly makes his sound awesome. However, I've heard other people describe them as a bit 'meh' (a good amp but nothing that special in terms of tone/character).

Any opinions on this?

Anyone tried the EZG-50 and the SW50R and if so, how did they compare? I know the Morgan is a bit more Dumble-inspired, but on paper they are both pretty similar spec amps...

I'm also considered getting a Rift PR35 head made, as I've always liked the Princeton thing.... I'm going round in circles with my amp quest. Help!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    The EZG is anything but Meh! Having heard Matt Schofield play through one it is a phenomenal amp rendered ordinary by poor playing and mediocre other gear.

I had one and if I was still gigging I'd still have it. When up to gig volumes it is an excellent amp on its own and it also responds brilliantly to pedals. You need a decent cab, an oversize 2x12 or Z 4x10. 

• WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 168
    edited March 2017
    @hywelg Ok, good to hear an opinion to the contrary! Thanks. Matt makes everything sound great to be fair. He did say it was a cool amp, but very loud! I'd need it to be ok for pub gigs, as that's the average venue size I'm playing with my trio at the moment. As long as I can get it sounding bit, fat and clean (rather than the weedy sound you get from an amp not being turned up enough), then it could be the right one for me!
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited March 2017
    Fat it will be through a decent cab. It has gobs of bass. I usually had it on 2, though my cab is very full in the bass but very articulate as well (Emi Red Fang Alnico and EV). 

You have two options to get the goods at lower volume, a clean boost (in fact two of them is a good idea, one always on, the other for a solo boost) last in the pedal chain just to push the pre-amp, or an attenuator. Now the Hotplate works very well down to -8db with this style of amp. The Z Airbrake I had was also good. 

Lower efficiency speakers would knock some off but I wouldn't recommend it with this amp al the speakers that sound good are quite efficient. 
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 848
    I'm looking for something similar and have been interested in the Suhr Bella.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    I've got a Brunetti Singleman head that gets the job done nicely. It delivers 50 w that can be scaled down to15 w or 2 w, so it works well in a quiet environment too. Sound is very good, very fender-ish but more tweakable than your classic Fender. If turned up, it starts compressing but it's still basically a one-channel clean amp. Takes pedals well too.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Mickeyji said:
    I've got a Brunetti Singleman head that gets the job done nicely. It delivers 50 w that can be scaled down to15 w or 2 w, so it works well in a quiet environment too. Sound is very good, very fender-ish but more tweakable than your classic Fender. If turned up, it starts compressing but it's still basically a one-channel clean amp. Takes pedals well too.
    I'm interested in this quest as well.  It's soon going to be time to retire my ageing JTM30 combo, on the grounds that it's just a matter of time until it blows up at a gig.  But its clean channel is brilliant at gig volumes, just slightly hairy for a 30 watter, and it seems difficult to find anything that stays clean at higher volumes that doesn't either weigh a ton or has loads of knobs that I don't need.

In short, the Brunetti looks very much like the ticket - I'd never come across them before.  Where did you get it from @Mickeyji ;
    ?

• llewllew Frets: 78
    Also have a look at the Dr z jaz 20/40 if you can find one they're fantastic. The new Dr z lux is practically the same amp. 
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    Mickeyji said:
    I'm interested in this quest as well.  It's soon going to be time to retire my ageing JTM30 combo, on the grounds that it's just a matter of time until it blows up at a gig.  But its clean channel is brilliant at gig volumes, just slightly hairy for a 30 watter, and it seems difficult to find anything that stays clean at higher volumes that doesn't either weigh a ton or has loads of knobs that I don't need.

In short, the Brunetti looks very much like the ticket - I'd never come across them before.  Where did you get it from @Mickeyji ;
    ?

I bought it on eBay Germany for a really good price because of a wonky reverb tank. Put in a new one and replaced the power valves, amp's like new now.

Check them out here: https://www.brunettiamps.com and here :https://www.facebook.com/BrunettiAmpsUk/