Are my tyres illegal ?

What's Hot

Comments

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1559
    1.6mm is the absolute limit legally, but it's advised to change them at 3mm.

I would have changed those tyres before they got to that state...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I would not be driving on those dude. How many miles did you do to get them in that state? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    ICBM said:
    Emp_Fab said:

It is the nearside front.  As for the cracking - I'm pretty sure that's the rubber starting to come away from the underlying cord rather than stress cracks - the pattern is too even.  Either way, I'm not aware of driving like a maniac around roundabouts.  The car is RWD if it makes any difference - a rarity these days.
    Is it a BMW? If so, you may well not be aware - you've got to manually disengage DLAT mode, which you can be forgiven for since it's not a standard thing to do and it's quite hard to find. It's the unmarked button alongside the one that enables the indicators and mirrors.

;)

I think you may be right about the cord, but whether or not it is that, if that was my car I probably wouldn't want to drive any further than to Kwik Fit with it, even if I had to pay for it. The tyre looks quite weakened and I wouldn't want it coming apart there.
    Yes, it is a BMW.  A 116d to be precise.  I know not of this DLAT mode you speak of.  I don't think I have any button that I don't already know the function of though.  Certainly nothing unmarked.  What is it supposed to do and when am I supposed to use it / not use it ?  I've googled and found nothing for DLAT.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Evilmags said:
    I would not be driving on those dude. How many miles did you do to get them in that state? 
    Just shy of 49,000.  They're the original ones from the factory.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27470
    49000 miles from a set of tyres ?????

that is some careful driving.  I'm almost surprised that your fleet management company hasn't been sending you replacement tyres to get fitted.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    49000? I get about half that. 
    I don't remember having the fronts changed before.... but.... that does seem bonkers...  especially as they're Dunlops.  I must have had them changed once.  In any case, the central two thirds of the tread has a good 3mm left, it's just the outer edges that are wearing excessively.  (Assuming these are now the second set), I didn't have this problem on the previous set (not that I can remember them !).  The car hasn't had a shunt so the steering geometry won't have been knocked out.

I've never had a good experience with Dunlops - they have always broken traction, squealed and worn out faster than Michelins.

I really don't have the time in the morning as I've got a busy day up in Worcessessterssshire, but I'll go as soon as they open regardless.  I'm not picking up any more points...  my licence is on course to be completely clean by October, for the first time since I had it !
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Having thought at great length I think Are my tyres legal is a great name for band.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    are they intermediates or worn out wets?
    play every note as if it were your first
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    They're abused... that's what they are.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11893
    Go and do some emergency stops, make sure you skid, that should finish them off, then go back to the tyre fitters
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11893
    or just stick a nail in one. Seriously, they are too dangerous
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    They'd pass an mot although you'd probably get an advise.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Emp_Fab said:

Yes, it is a BMW.  A 116d to be precise.  I know not of this DLAT mode you speak of.  I don't think I have any button that I don't already know the function of though.  Certainly nothing unmarked.  What is it supposed to do and when am I supposed to use it / not use it ?  I've googled and found nothing for DLAT.
    Drive Like A Tit

BMWs come with it engaged as standard… along with the non-functioning indicators and mirrors.

Surprised you didn't work that out yourself!

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    I agree with @ToneControl fight fire with fire nail in them. As the driver you are solely responsible for the vehicle you drive unless you prove conspiracy which ain't going to help you.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    • Wish the police would crack down on tyres with hefty fines and ruined families, the amount of death machines with no tread left on fairly expensive cars that their drivers cane offends me.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited March 2017
    As mentioned, they'd probably just pass an MoT as is. The 'cracks' on the outer edge look like feathering to me, from a poorly aligned fwd setup. I don't think your that close to getting through to the tyres inner casing.

Many fleet operators in my experience will be ok with changing at 2mm. I'd take it to kwik fit and let them get approval from the fleet co, which I'm 100% sure they'll be happy to do....

Those look like Contis, quite long lasting but nearly 50k is pretty good going.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746

Have they been run at the correct pressure?

Under inflation if it's like that on both sides of the tyre

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Emp_Fab said:
    Drive Like A Twonk .....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Yes.  Very funny.  I almost went looking for the button ! :-)

Sat in Kwik-e-fit at the moment.