Guitar Strings

What's Hot
smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664

Hey guys,

Is there any UK sites that let you pick/choose a set of guitar strings - as in - I want a set of 11's, but with a 52 low E string instead of a 48 that.

Would save me buying packs of 11's and a bunch of separate 52's which would then leave me with a ton of 48's as well!

Cheers

Keir

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Will a set of 11-52s not do?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I didn't even know this was a thing.  I'm also in the same situation as I buy 11-56s and then a separate 64.  It works out cheaper than doing a whole set of singles.

I use D'Addario for guitar and all their sets are sealed, I think the same goes for several other brands these days.  That'd mean it'd have to be done at the factory
  • Roland said:
    They usually have heavier A and D strings too though, which might not be what OP wants
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    Roland said:
    They usually have heavier A and D strings too though, which might not be what OP wants
    Aye, kinda this. Always happy with the 11's all over but now playing with top string dropped to C# so just need the extra thickness on low E
  • Have you tried the D'Addario balanced tension 11-50 set? 
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    Have you tried the D'Addario balanced tension 11-50 set? 

No, I've only just started looking into this as my guitar was only set up for drop C# at my last setup.

I've checked these out now, seem like a good shout, although I've also found these:

http://www.guitarbitz.com/guitar-strings-c42/electric-guitar-strings-c46/daddario-strings-exl116-xl-electric-guitar-strings-medium-top-heavy-bottom-11-52-p1317

which might suit me better with the lower stings being thicker (the low E is a 52 too!)

Have you tried the balanced tension one's before? Do they offer anything superior to the above set?

Cheers

Keir

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited March 2017
    Yes I used to use the 11-50 set for drop C# and found them a nice tension on my guitars.  There's nothing different about the strings, just the gauges.  Currently I use the 11-56 set and swap the 56 for a 64 as I now tune to drop B.

Check out www.stringtensionpro.com as it allows you to compare tensions across D'Addario strings.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3151
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    Curt Mangan allow you to build your own sets, including half sizes - http://www.curtmangan-eu.com/
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk