(Now with GAS) More acoustic navel-gazing from me...

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
edited April 2017 in Acoustics
You're safe, my actual navel will be making an appearance. 

It was a very helpful experience when I had my mega-thread on choosing an acoustic - both the various views and experiences you folks expressed and my own resulting digging around and testing.

Having lived for a while now with my 000-28EC, and *then* tried more other things too, I've learned even more - mostly about what tickles my pickle. 

I need to do more testing, but I seem to be really drawn to a slightly more strident sound than a 000 serves up. This kind of makes sense as the 000 was the wildcard on purchase day - I'd gone looking for OM-type instruments, but coming across this that played so easily and looked so cool, and sounded outstanding knocked me for 6 and hence the buy. And I love it. It has spurred me on and I reckon my virgin-open-mic appearance is looming on the horizon as a result. 

Going back out and trying Dreads and OMs though has been a new experience in light of now being very familiar with a great guitar - there is something else which appeals that the beefier sound that revels in a plectrum delivers.

As my ear has tuned in it has also kind of had a bit of Emperor's new soundboard when it omes to Martin dreadnaughts : they are starting to sound a bit woofy and flat compared to the smaller-brand stuff (that I can't and won't afford - Collings, Kronbauer.
I tried a used D-41 in Ivor Mairants - put it straight back on the wall.)

I had a brief play on an OM-28 in Andertons and it was fucking marvellous - really very different. Although logic tells me having a 000 and an OM is... I don't know, not the best mix, but maybe that's flawed thinking? 

I also played a Yamaha LL-16 in Yamaha Music the other day - it was a really nice balanced sound that I think I *prefer* to the D-18, D28 thing.

I don't want to get in to having to turn over the one acoustic I own to experience new things, so I think I'm going to get the 000 a stable-mate.

My binge-selling (originally to fund a Helix, which it did) leaves me with about a further £1100 (!) 

I'd rather buy used for obvious reasons (the day will come when I have learned enough about my own preferences to not be so concerned with depreciation but that day is not here yet) 

Feel free to point me at any instruments/brands/types you think may float my boat. Again :-) 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    How about a Yamaha LL-16?

:)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    How about a Yamaha LL-16?

:)
    Show me a used one, I may well buy it! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 289
    I tried out various acoustics and discovered that I needed to try a range of makes/body sizes to determine what best fitted my taste and playing style. I couldn't justify the cost of a Taylor 614CE, and ended up buying a Faith Venus High Gloss which I'm pleased with. If I hadn't bought the Faith, I'd have bought a Sigma.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    The one important thing I've learnt from this thread is the expression 'tickle my pickle'.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    It's interesting that you felt such a night and day difference between your 00028 and the OM28 you tried when the scale length is the only structural difference (obviously there's always variance in set up, state of the strings even humidity) - 24.9" on the 000, 25.4" on the OM......and then you liked the LL-16 which has a longer scale length again (25 9/16") ....

You, sir, are sensitive to scale length - if not from a playability perspective, then from a sonic one.

I've put a best offer in - fingers crossed! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Oh just buy something, will ya :)
    I did.

This is a new something. :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    Keep saving, and buy a Turnstone.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    I'm feeling like I'm on a similar acoustic (mental) merry-go-round of late, currently settled on the HD28.

FWIW I don't think an OM and 000 would be unreasonable at the same time, though I suspect you'd find you turned to one over the other quite reliably after a few weeks. In my head, at least, the OM is the Paul Simon thing, while the 000 is the bluesy Clapton unplugged thing, which is quite a big difference within a similar theme.

What I've learned so far from my own dread-flavoured navel-gazing is that, much like with electrics, no one acoustic does everything, so it's absolutely ok to aim for a couple of instruments that do different things really well. With that in mind, I reckon get an OM, then sell whichever you find yourself gravitating away and get a dread instead :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Keep saving, and buy a Turnstone.
    I'm a *very* long way from knowing what I'd want to spec on a custom build of any price.

Also, I no longer have an income, so my funding pool is limited to cash at hand or sellable stuff - I don't see a purchase like that on the horizon. 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited March 2017
    I'm feeling like I'm on a similar acoustic (mental) merry-go-round of late, currently settled on the HD28.

FWIW I don't think an OM and 000 would be unreasonable at the same time, though I suspect you'd find you turned to one over the other quite reliably after a few weeks. In my head, at least, the OM is the Paul Simon thing, while the 000 is the bluesy Clapton unplugged thing, which is quite a big difference within a similar theme.

What I've learned so far from my own dread-flavoured navel-gazing is that, much like with electrics, no one acoustic does everything, so it's absolutely ok to aim for a couple of instruments that do different things really well. With that in mind, I reckon get an OM, then sell whichever you find yourself gravitating away and get a dread instead
    Yeah, I think I would do that if I could afford an OM-28 but I won't be able to in the foreseeable  (without selling the 000) 
    Red ones are better. 
    <double post>
    Red ones are better. 
    I've just agreed to buy a used Yamaha LL-16 - fingers crossed it comes off. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Personally I can't get on with dreadnoughts and I find 000/OMs a bit uninspiring. I don't use a plectrum though, and prefer parlour sized guitars, 0 and 00.
    mellowsun said:
    Personally I can't get on with dreadnoughts and I find 000/OMs a bit uninspiring. I don't use a plectrum though, and prefer parlour sized guitars, 0 and 00.
    I always think they sound like they need to blow their nose lol 

Maybe I just haven't tried the right ones 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    TimmyO said:
    mellowsun said:
    I always think they sound like they need to blow their nose lol 

Maybe I just haven't tried the right ones 
    I know what you mean. They can be very midrange heavy and boxy sounding. I never wanted one until I was handed a 1904 Martin 0 in Gruhns ,Nashville. It was mindblowingly good tone wise and was loud as hell, even though it had to be strung with silk and steel extra lights. I had that sound in my head for the next 10 years and nothing I tried got close. Eventually I found a  guitar built by John McQuarrire in Canada. It has an engleman top / Brazilian r/w back and sides and thinks it's an OM on steroids
    I navel gazed.

I tried out.

I Googled.

I purchased.

Yamaha LL-16 with replacement bone nut, saddle and pins.

My mate met the seller for me (central London) and I will get it from him in a weeks time when I'm down there. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    Nice. Do you get the shoes too?

i hope it suits you otherwise you have two choices: keep buying and selling till you get what you want or collecting loads so you have a guitar for every occasion. 

I had a dread for 30 years and just got a 314ce intending to get rid if my older inferior dread. I've found I like them both for different reasons so I'm keeping the dread too. 

BTW despite having a guitar for years, I'm still not very good but I do appreciate what both are good for.