Wisdom Teeth

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1746

I've a wisdom tooth that's causing me terrible pain.

Can't see dentist till next week (they cancelled my appointment last week).

Ibuprofen is taking the edge off it a little bit but wow it hurts a lot.

Anyone got any remedies or tips to help with the pain?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Man up! ;-) Is it decayed, partially occluded or is it just crowding? I've had bother with my wisdom teeth over the years and ended up having 3 out so far, I have other teeth behind my wisdom teeth which contributed to the problems. Not much you can do to make the pain go away, I don't find any painkillers particularly effective. Easier said than done but try to distract yourself from thinking about it. And as with most things, alcohol helps! :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Get some codeine and paracetamol tablets over the counter at Boots.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

My dog is teething too, he likes chewing on these

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/merch-groups/nylabone-

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Do you have a cold or bunged up sinuses at the moment? Note sometimes this sort of tooth pain can be caused by sinus pressure... it can feel similar to toothache.

In any case not much you can do until you see the dentist. I have found Ibuprofen helps a bit but it's still a pain.  (In my case it was probably sinus-related as we haven't had to pull any gnashers yet.)

• You might get plenty of good advise over on the PRS forum.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    You might get plenty of good advise over on the PRS forum.

Yeah, those pesky dentists with their PRSs and their ability to spell...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited March 2017
    If it's decayed get the hose on a vacuum cleaner, sellotape it to a small straw and suck the shit out of it. It's the bacteria feasting on the rancid food stuck in the tooth that is giving off gases which expand and press on the nerve.  Gargle saltwater and pick at it with dental tools.  If it's impacted then not much you can do other than chewing cloves and eating Whiskey. These methods have served me well over the years and although I have no molars left anymore save for two, they have saved me weeks of agony, although I do have a high pain threshold anyway.  Currently only have two abscesses, no need to see the dentist yet though.

If it's really knackered you can crack the top off it to get at the top of the root and let it breath and your pain will go away.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Codis work well, and being soluble, work quickly, especially if chewed.

Oil of cloves is pretty good at numbing.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    Mine cause me a bit of bother, but the dentist reckons they are coming through fine without too much crowding.  

so it's just teething and there is bugger all they will do.  
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    gubble said:

I've a wisdom tooth that's causing me terrible pain.

Can't see dentist till next week (they cancelled my appointment last week).

Ibuprofen is taking the edge off it a little bit but wow it hurts a lot.

Anyone got any remedies or tips to help with the pain?

'Wis'd'
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    I've been quite lucky with wisdom teeth - I've had my top ones removed as they were impacting my bottom wisdom teeth and they were becoming infected.  Every now and again one bottom wisdom tooth breaks through the gum and causes much pain and it inevitably gets infected.

When that happens I just use lots of antibacterial mouthwash and often.  It usually brings things under control again within two or three days.

Last time I went to my dentist for it he was on holiday in America (probably selecting timber in the PRS wood library for his new private stock, lol) so had to see the guy upstairs who is, no joke, referred to locally as 'Andy the butcher'.  He took an old needle, ran it against his pneumatic drill/file thing and then used it to inject some gel between the tooth and gum.

I've never had severe dental pain in my life until that moment!

Hope you get it sorted bud, can't be pleasant living with that much discomfort.  If all else fails, get drunk!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    Wisdom Teeth are redundant since we stopped needing to chew grass and cellulose relentlessly. Nature adopts the 'Use it or Lose it' rule... so our jaws have shrunken back = no room for the fuckers.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Wisdom Teeth are redundant since we stopped needing to chew grass and cellulose relentlessly. Nature adopts the 'Use it or Lose it' rule... so our jaws have shrunken back = no room for the fuckers.

stupid evolution. if we were intelligently designed, this wouldn't happen.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    VimFuego said:
    57Deluxe said:
    Incredibly off topic, but very true.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    VimFuego said:
    57Deluxe said:

Shhhhh, you'll wake @siraxeman. :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746

Saw my dentist yesterday.

After asking my opinion on his new PRS he advised my wisdom tooth is impacted and needs to come out. Apparently I need to be referred to the hospital and they're most likely going to be putting me under for it.

A day off work with an enforced nap and some painkillers - that's alright.

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I hate dentists. I had one during my 20s who was a fucking sadist who loved to give me fillings and root canal work. Made a fortune from me and put me off going to the dentists again. Painkillers and Listerine have seen me through since. A lot of my teeth have rotted/worn to stumps
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    Medicine/dentistry has moved on - things aren't as painful or dangerous as they used to be. Wisdom tooth - get it ripped out. Premolars don't get blasé you will miss those, if it means several visits get it done. I had one of mine out because I was off to USA couldn't be doing with health hassles in USA and the flight was the next day (I'd had hassle for months to be fair). I miss that tooth now TBH.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    They keep refusing to remove mine. Fuckers.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Rotten, I've only one left.  I always thought that if I was late to pubity and I couldn't grow my sideburns I would live forever, but alas my wisdom teeth were all through at 18 and rotten by 25 an now I've none left so I suppose my life expectancy is gone.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock