What pups have you got in your 335's

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 914
Bought a mint used Gibson es335 on Sunday. Not over keen on the classic 57 pups in the guitar. Was thinking of changing to a set of Monty's classic PAF,s. They're expensive but sound superb on the demos. Anybody else have experience of these pickups?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14234
    tFB Trader
    Fancy trying some Monty's as I've heard so much about them - but not got round to it - I don't have a Gibson 335, but use a Collings i35LC, so pretty similar - Have Lollar low wind Imperials in them - Tried Throbak's which are 'thicker and throatier' so might suit Clapton/Cream and Bonamassa styles, but not me - I like the clarity of the Lollar Imperials as I want a full/fat humbucker with 'single coil' clarity 
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Fancy trying some Monty's as I've heard so much about them - but not got round to it - I don't have a Gibson 335, but use a Collings i35LC, so pretty similar - Have Lollar low wind Imperials in them - Tried Throbak's which are 'thicker and throatier' so might suit Clapton/Cream and Bonamassa styles, but not me - I like the clarity of the Lollar Imperials as I want a full/fat humbucker with 'single coil' clarity 
    The Throbaks sound what I'm after but they're very expensive.
    tFB Trader
    markj said:
    The Throbaks sound what I'm after but they're very expensive.
    http://www.guitars4you.co.uk/oddsnsods/throbak-sle101-mxv-pick-ups-new-set/ - I've got 1 new set left at this price from when I could acquire them via the UK distributors for Collings Guitars as they acted as UK agents - not the case any more - so at these prices they are similar to Monty's
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I found the Classic 57's to be very good on a 335, they have that right level of "fruitiness" that some other pickups lack 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    sweepy said:
    I found the Classic 57's to be very good on a 335, they have that right level of "fruitiness" that some other pickups lack 
    weird how they sound right in a 335 and less so in an LP - yet Burst Buckers to me sound to mushy in a 335 but many find them ok in an LP
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Deacci LP-Zero set in my mind are about the best PAF coppies you can get... And they aren't priced bad either :)
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Many people seem to love the 57s in semi-solids. I only have them in my LP so not sure in a 335 but would have thought they were a good match.

Used to own a Tokai ES120 335 copy and had some SD Seth Lovers installed - they sounded very good (although not too different to the stock Gotohs!). They seemed quite "open" and articulate to me. Would expect the Antiquities to be even more so.

Maybe it would help if you could say what you're not keen on with the 57s? Are they too muddy? Do you want more or less midrange "honk"? More or less bass?

@shugz is Mr 33x on here and has loads of knowledge about the pickups and wiring (he used to sell looms). 
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Apparently my 2015 es has burstbuckers in it. I think it sounds great! 

When I had a Les Paul with burstbuckers I thought it sounded like mush so fitted some Bare Knuckle Mules. A definite improvement, though that guitar gave way for my es.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited March 2017
    Classic 57's are meant to suit the 335, but Gibson have used BurstBuckers in them too. 

I'm about to put a set of BB Pro's in mine because I like to experiment and some people really like that setup.

If they really don't suit then I will go for a set of Bulldog Cool PAF's.

Here's that German bloke with BB Pro's

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited March 2017
    I don't have a 335 but I do have a 1989 Epi Sheraton II which is very closely based on a 335. I put in a set of Seymour Duncan SH1 59's which are based on the 1959 PAFs used in 335's.  It now sounds as close to a 335 as you can get without dropping £2500 plus! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5261
    i had a set of OX4 hbuckers low wind and they were very nice indeed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    THe MHS (Memphis Historic Spec) that Gibson do now are very good.
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Basher said:
    Many people seem to love the 57s in semi-solids. I only have them in my LP so not sure in a 335 but would have thought they were a good match.

Used to own a Tokai ES120 335 copy and had some SD Seth Lovers installed - they sounded very good (although not too different to the stock Gotohs!). They seemed quite "open" and articulate to me. Would expect the Antiquities to be even more so.

Maybe it would help if you could say what you're not keen on with the 57s? Are they too muddy? Do you want more or less midrange "honk"? More or less bass?

@shugz is Mr 33x on here and has loads of knowledge about the pickups and wiring (he used to sell looms). 
    He might still sell those said looms..... ;) :)

I really like a 'good' set of 57s. I might be wrong but not all 57 Classics are born equal in my opinion. I have a great set in my 63 reissue 335. That guitar is totally stock as well. One of the few I've left alone!

Really depends what you are playing and amp setup I think. Big loud Marshalls for EC tone then 57s (or a good set at least) are usually fine. Lighter jazzier stuff might benefit from Seth Lovers or something akin to those. Id contact a good UK maker and discuss. If the 57s aren't hitting it then tell them exactly what you need and they'll match the magnets and wire to suit.

Oh and while you're in there change out the harness....! :)

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    My Heritage H535 came from the factory with a set of SD59's in it.
    Wasn't over keen on them.
    Stuck a set of Wolfetone Dr Vintages in it.
    Now it sounds utterly amazing !
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    My 345 has factory fitted MHS and I have to say I like them. 
    I have a box of expensive Humbuckers collected over the years but the MHS seems to suit.

My old semi the Washburn had the Timbuckers in and they are wonderful classic PAF but again they sit in the tin as the MHS seem to do the job fine. 
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    '64 345 with genuine old patent numbers:

'63 reissue 335 with standard 57s:

Both same amp setup, just guitar, lead and amp. The '64 does have some reverb obviously added. 

Just rough 'tales from the front room' fone clips but might give some comparison with older vintage pickups and their modern repros.

Go easy on the shonky playing please!

Cheers 
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Bare Knuckle Dicksmasher and Cuntpuncher set.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited March 2017
    shugz said:
    '64 345 with genuine old patent numbers:

'63 reissue 335 with standard 57s:

Both same amp setup, just guitar, lead and amp. The '64 does have some reverb obviously added. 

Just rough 'tales from the front room' fone clips but might give some comparison with older vintage pickups and their modern repros.

Go easy on the shonky playing please!

Cheers 
    Hugh
    Nice idea, but impossible to compare because there's so much reverb on the 345 '64 clip its complete;y drowning out the tone.  Nice guitars though - is the 345 '64 original or a reissue?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Bucket said:
    Bare Knuckle Dicksmasher and Cuntpuncher set.
    Just stuck a set of BK Chimpkickers in my Harley Benton. Best sounding LP I've ever owned. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom