What pups have you got in your 335's

What's Hot

Comments

• shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Bollox to that. I did say it was a ruff couple of clips not a science experiment.

There's always one smart arse isn't there?

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Iron Gear Blies Engines in my Epi 335, I really like them....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    markj said:
    Fancy trying some Monty's as I've heard so much about them - but not got round to it - I don't have a Gibson 335, but use a Collings i35LC, so pretty similar - Have Lollar low wind Imperials in them - Tried Throbak's which are 'thicker and throatier' so might suit Clapton/Cream and Bonamassa styles, but not me - I like the clarity of the Lollar Imperials as I want a full/fat humbucker with 'single coil' clarity 
    The Throbaks sound what I'm after but they're very expensive.
    http://www.guitars4you.co.uk/oddsnsods/throbak-sle101-mxv-pick-ups-new-set/ - I've got 1 new set left at this price from when I could acquire them via the UK distributors for Collings Guitars as they acted as UK agents - not the case any more - so at these prices they are similar to Monty's
    Monty's are £255 for a set are these similar?
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    57's are fantastic in a 335, try adjusting the pickup height as discussed in a recent thread.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    shugz said:He might still sell those said looms.....

Sorry Hugh. Didn't realise you still sold them.

Nice playing on the clips too. If that's "shonky" then I can only aspire to shonk that well.

I hear more top end and quite a  scooped tone in the pat. numbers. The 57s seem to have more midrange "honk". Both sound great and maybe some difference is down to the guitars. I'd choose the originals because that's the kind of sound I love but the 57s do the late-60s/Fillmore/20-minute-wig-out-jam thing very well!

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited March 2017
    shugz said:
    Bollox to that. I did say it was a ruff couple of clips not a science experiment.

Cheers
    Hugh
    Totally uncalled for.  You posted the clips to compare pickup tones. Unfortunately the amount of reverb made that difficult..seemed a reasonable and fair observation. My post was friendly and polite, I was complimentary on your guitars, showed interest in them to promote friendly dialogue, and didn't criticise your playing ( not that there was anything to criticise)

To personally attack me on open forum and call me a smart arse is immature, rude and unfair.  If you can't behave and communicate like an adult, then that's your problem not mine and perhaps you should look at your own antisocial behaviour before flaming someone else.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Voxman said:
    shugz said:

Cheers
    Hugh
    Totally uncalled for.  You posted the clips to compare pickup tones. Unfortunately the amount of reverb made that difficult..seemed a reasonable and fair observation. My post was friendly and polite, I was complimentary on your guitars, showed interest in them to promote friendly dialogue, and didn't criticise your playing ( not that there was anything to criticise)

To personally attack me on open forum and call me a smart arse is immature, rude and unfair.  If you can't behave and communicate like an adult, then that's your problem not mine and perhaps you should look at your own antisocial behaviour before flaming someone else.
    Easy tiger.

Meant with tongue firmly in cheek. Remember I'm Glaswegian....

Much love, no offence meant and an attempt at humour gone wrong. My bad. 

Best wishes
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2017
    shugz said:
    Voxman said:
    shugz said:

Cheers
    Hugh

Easy tiger.

Meant with tongue firmly in cheek. Remember I'm Glaswegian....

Much love, no offence meant and an attempt at humour gone wrong. My bad. 

Best wishes
    Hugh
    Sorry if I didn't pick up that you meant that tongue in cheek Hugh, but as there was no 'lol' or smiley emoticom I hope you can understand why! 

Anyway mate, glad and relieved we got that cleared up and much love back!  . Mind you, if I'd known you were Glaswegian I'd never have messed with you!  3

So Hugh, your 64 is it orig or reissue?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Yeah, I was 'juggling a few balls' (!) at the time so the reply a little quick, again my apologies :)

No, we're a friendly race most of the time promise. We'll put a few doors in the wall when Nicola finally gets it built just to let the odd visitor through....

Anyhoo, glad all ok.

The 345 an old one, 1964. Mostly original as well barring a mono loom install, refret and old Grovers fitted. Genuinely lovely old ES and lucky to have it. 

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

Many thanks :)

The harnesses took a bit of a back seat when the band kicked off a bit but I'll make the odd one or ten for chums now things quiet again on that front.

Yeah there's a difference which maybe doesn't come across on the home clips. The old ones a bit more 'polite' but not by much (they can vary a lot though the older pickups). They sound great clean or heavy amp sound. The 345 also wired out of phase as well as its a (ex) Varitone guitar. 

The 335 a bit more rock n roll not as refined or 'vowel like' compared with the old pickups. Both great guitars. A pleasure to play/ own them.

Cheers
    Hugh

Basher said:
    shugz said:He might still sell those said looms.....

Sorry Hugh. Didn't realise you still sold them.

Nice playing on the clips too. If that's "shonky" then I can only aspire to shonk that well.

I hear more top end and quite a  scooped tone in the pat. numbers. The 57s seem to have more midrange "honk". Both sound great and maybe some difference is down to the guitars. I'd choose the originals because that's the kind of sound I love but the 57s do the late-60s/Fillmore/20-minute-wig-out-jam thing very well!

www.proudhoney.com

edited March 2017
    shugz said:
    Yeah, I was 'juggling a few balls' (!) at the time so the reply a little quick, again my apologies

No probs - we're totally cool!cool

No, we're a friendly race most of the time promise. We'll put a few doors in the wall when Nicola finally gets it built just to let the odd visitor through....

LOL! D

Anyhoo, glad all ok.

Me too! twothumbs

The 345 an old one, 1964. Mostly original as well barring a mono loom install, refret and old Grovers fitted. Genuinely lovely old ES and lucky to have it. 

Very envious! hypnotic  It looked in such great condition on the vid that I wondered if it might be a reissue!  I prefer the 345's because the Varitone wiring just gives some lovely extra tones and versatility that you just can't get with a straight 335.  

Cheers
    Hugh

Great stuff, splendid :)

The 345's Varitone was a bit iffy. Nothing major, it is mostly all original that part of the guitar but I do prefer just a straightforward mono type thing in my ES'. Love the cosmetics of the 345/355s though but do tend to take out the Varitones as they are not much use (to me at least). They certainly have their fans though.

My 345 actually well used so up close it's wearing some nice patina of age. I cleaned it up a bit when I got it. Nothing amiss when I got it though but basically stripped it all down and (sympathetically) cleaned it up and rebuilt it all. Really pleased how it turned out.

Apologies to the OP for the thread hack. Best of luck on the pickup search. A good tip if thinking of swapping out pickups a lot on an ES is joining the wires rather than having to remove the loom every time you want a change. As long as that's done properly there's no shame in doing that. If you do get a set that are 'golden' then the loom can be removed and the pickups fitted direct as normal.

Just a thought.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited March 2017
    @Shugz's comment about old ones being 'polite' vs newer ones is a good description. Not sure it's all about the pick-ups - certainly the regular modern production models seem more heavily built and sound more solid-like, with heavier mids.

Which may well suit a lot of players.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The first 2 335,s  with Original PAF's that's the sound I am after. They play a 335 near the end with classic 57's, you can hear quite a difference.
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited March 2017
    In which case I say again deacci LP-zero set about £130 for a pair or £150ish depending on choice of covers.  Alnico 3 and they are closest thing to a real PAF.  Superb company.  He'll even tweak winding to your requirement if you like.  I have a set in my 335 copy and so far am delighted with the sound :)
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    shugz said:
    . A good tip if thinking of swapping out pickups a lot on an ES is joining the wires rather than having to remove the loom every time you want a change. As long as that's done properly there's no shame in doing that. If you do get a set that are 'golden' then the loom can be removed and the pickups fitted direct as normal.

Just a thought.

Cheers
    Hugh
    Good advice here from the weegie! ;-)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    edited March 2017
    I've got classic 57s in my 335. The naff nitro finish has a bigger effect on the sound imho. It does like a brighter amp in general to get the most versatility (always easier to dull the tone down with the guitar controls).

I did change the pots and loom though, it's way cheaper and gives quite a serious improvement to overall clarity. Also set the PU hight carefully.

Gagaryn said:
    shugz said:
    . A good tip if thinking of swapping out pickups a lot on an ES is joining the wires rather than having to remove the loom every time you want a change. As long as that's done properly there's no shame in doing that. If you do get a set that are 'golden' then the loom can be removed and the pickups fitted direct as normal.

Just a thought.

Cheers
    Hugh
    Good advice here from the weegie! ;-)
    Advice on which graveyard best to drink fortified wine in coming soon........ ;)

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com