Guitars - when they're not being used.....

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5616
How do you feel about your guitars and amps and other stuff when you're not using them?

I love guitars, playing guitar has been a huge part of my life even as crap as I am.  I have enough of them and gain great satisfaction from playing and being creative.

But when I'm not using them I don't want to look at them.  If I sit down in an evening to watch a film, say, it makes me feel uncomfortable if they're visible in the room.  Even if they're in their case it still bothers me that I know they're there.  I feel like I can't relax if guitars are out - I definitely feel the need to keep my non-guitar life separate from my guitar playing life.

Is that weird or does anyone else feel the same?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16654
    It's weird.  See a professional. ;)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    When they aren't used, guitars cry the tears of baby Jesus
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Haych said:
    How do you feel about your guitars and amps and other stuff when you're not using them?

I love guitars, playing guitar has been a huge part of my life even as crap as I am.  I have enough of them and gain great satisfaction from playing and being creative.

But when I'm not using them I don't want to look at them.  If I sit down in an evening to watch a film, say, it makes me feel uncomfortable if they're visible in the room.  Even if they're in their case it still bothers me that I know they're there.  I feel like I can't relax if guitars are out - I definitely feel the need to keep my non-guitar life separate from my guitar playing life.

Is that weird or does anyone else feel the same?
    I think you're over-thinking it. Unless they're Steinbergers, they're pieces of wood. Don't feel guilty. You CAN get beyond this....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    Fair enough. I guess I'm a bit more odd than I thought then lol. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't have a choice but to look at mine- they're hung from the picture rail in my livingroom. 
    My Les Paul is right next to the TV. 

I like having them out, they're nice to look at & being on the wall means i can grab one whenever i feel like playing. 

It's also the safest place for them- out of reach of my children. I caught my two year old attempting to open a hardcase she'd found under my bed. Glad the guitar was elsewhere. 

The only downside is that MrsLostSon likes some input on any guitars i buy as they're on display all the time. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I love having mine out - they are some of my favourite things and would hate to hide them away. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    I got to the point where i sold all those that were not getting used regularly, taking me down to 3 electrics from 12, 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    WezV said:
    It's weird.  See a professional. ;)

He can't, his local Physician is called Dr Gibson. It'll just make things worse ;)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I'll make you the same offer I made in the thread about storing guitars: I'll 'look after' them for you.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    rico said:
    I love having mine out - they are some of my favourite things and would hate to hide them away. 
    This.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    If a guitar is in a room on its own, does it make a sound?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    Sassafras said:
    I'll make you the same offer I made in the thread about storing guitars: I'll 'look after' them for you.
    Yeah I might accept that offer but you'd have to let me 'look after' some of your cash ;)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Weird.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    rico said:
    Yep, beautiful objects, whether they're being played or not.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    rico said:
    Are you still talking about guitars?
    Previously known as stevebrum
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Five of mine are out in easy reach in my living room most of the time, the rest are in cases in a closet.  I rotate them regularly....maybe it's me that needs professional help....  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited March 2017
    WezV said:
    It's weird.  See a professional.
    Not sure seeing a hooker will help, but definitely should see a psychiatrist! Lol  3

Gotta go now...my guitars and amps are getting lonely without me, and my compressor is distraught that I've not trod on it for weeks!  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2347
    Yeah I like seeing my guitars. I mean, I might feel a little guilty if I feel I'm not practising enough, but other than that, no problem.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    I sleep with a different guitar every night  ;)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Freebird said:
    I sleep with a different guitar every night  ;)
    Slut.