Making my MJT look a bit more authentic?

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
edited March 2017 in Guitar
So, some of you may remember my MJT Strat, in Candy Green.

My idea was to have an early-60s style Strat with supercharged performance - quite a fat neck, but a flatter fretboard, and 22 biggish frets. It worked, playability-wise at least. Foolishly, I let my undying love for the CBS headstock get the better of me and ordered the neck with one, and it looks decidedly incongruous. The neck is also totally the wrong colour - they sent me all the finish samples and I chose what I thought was a cool one, but I made the wrong decision - it's very dark, smoky orange and just looks weird. Also, I'm not entirely convinced the profile is right, and I think the frets are too big. All of these are my fault btw, and no reflection on MJT or USACG - they built me exactly what I ordered, it's just that I didn't order the right thing.

So I'm going to get a new neck made at some point, not for a while probably. Money is tight at the minute and I have other things to prioritise - but a mate is interested in the neck, so I could sell it to him and use the money to get a new neck made. Anyway...

The main issue bugging me at the minute is the overall aesthetic of the guitar. I love the Candy Green, still, and I was adamant it had to be that colour. To me, it's the best of the modern Fender custom colours that could, and should, have existed in the early 60s alongside Lake Placid Blue and Shoreline Gold etc. But there's other stuff about the look that just... somehow doesn't look quite right. Almost all the MJTs I've seen have resided in this strange uncanny valley of looking so, so close to a CS or even vintage Fender, but are just short of pulling it off entirely. Which I'm sure suits them just fine from a legal point of view, but hey.

I can never put my finger on exactly what it is - I'm pretty sure the body shape is exact, the hardware is all the same, the finishes are excellent. The only thing I can think is that it might be the plastics not looking quite right - the scratchplates and pickup covers. But I don't understand how that could be. See if you agree - here are some pics of my guitar:

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af347/ConnorF1995/MJT green light relic Strat/DSCF1989_zps97443f0e.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af347/ConnorF1995/MJT green light relic Strat/DSCF1987_zps3d264e00.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af347/ConnorF1995/MJT green light relic Strat/743c2608-ff97-47cf-b1a9-1b01567f7893_zpsu1amszkv.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af347/ConnorF1995/MJT green light relic Strat/20141028_190616_zpscf17ed05.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af347/ConnorF1995/DSCF1996_zps00f008c0.jpg

Does anyone see what I mean? I hope I'm not the only one who notices this.

Any ideas? What could I do to make my Strat look a little more authentic? Other than the neck, obviously, I know that lol
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I wonder if you're just not used to seeing strats that colour? That alone could be making the difference?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    edited March 2017
    I think it looks pretty good!  I think sometimes when you build something yourself you look at it too hard.Too critically.Focusing on individual parts too much. Leave it a couple days and look at it as a whole thing with fresh eyes. I think it looks right.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited March 2017
    It looks fine. It'd look cooler with black plastics but I think that about most strats!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Actually i like that a lot!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30911
    Now you're being just silly. It's stunning. If you wanted to be really picky you'd maybe say the checking is more than the wear but that's it.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    I think the body end looks great.  Just chuck a more trad-looking neck on it and it'll be perfect. I think any non-traditional-ness coming from the body is purely because it's not a 60's colour, but it's only slightly brighter than some sherwood greens, so it's not a problem. 

In terms of new necks I'm keen to recommend MJT again - get a Musikraft neck with the right headstock (small FTW!! ;) ) and exactly the spec you want. Have it shipped to MJT and show them pictures of similar necks that look how you want and they'll do it perfectly. Never understood why they do that mega-tobacco almost brown thing so often.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16094
    Don't see the issue ........looks great but Tortie guard would look better
    the white is a bit harsh against the green
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2467
    I'm with the others... the body, plastics etc look right to me. The neck would actually look right if you lightly sand with wire wool just the back and leave the headstock front. In the late 60's Fender started using poly on the headstock face to seal the decals and it was nitro elsewhere so they tend to have orange headstocks! I like the big headstock, I went similar spec on my bravewood build.
    https://i.imgur.com/3wXTHhy.jpg
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Bucket said:

I can never put my finger on exactly what it is - I'm pretty sure the body shape is exact, the hardware is all the same, the finishes are excellent. The only thing I can think is that it might be the plastics not looking quite right - the scratchplates and pickup covers. But I don't understand how that could be.
    It's the 'clay' dots. Seriously. Big headstocks go with pearl dots… always. Clay dots look shit anyway and are only acceptable on '59-'64 replicas because that's what Fender used.

Possible to change, but not a DIY job really - unless you get a new neck. But if you don't want to do that, strip the finish from the back and leave the front face, as jimmyguitar said… give it a late-60s/early 70s vibe. Dress the frets lower if you need to.

Gassage said:

If you wanted to be really picky you'd maybe say the checking is more than the wear but that's it.
    That's exactly why it looks right. Real old guitars are almost always like that, rather than the comedy belt-sander jobs you see on most relics.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    You've got a deep underlying obsession which if not treated threatens to send you sliding down a spiral of madness.

I think you just want a Fender.

Or more relicing.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    I agree with you OP,  the headstock does look completely out of place.

You want a supercharged '60's Strat?

Sell what you have and get a Fender Classic Player '60's - it ticks all the boxes and not expensive. How much did that neck cost?

Of course it doesn't come in that green, but then they didn't in the '60's. ;)
    Supercharged 60's Strat = nickle covered bridge humbucker:) ggrrr!
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Time to get the belt sander out and add some "genuine wear".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    Neil said:
    I agree with you OP,  the headstock does look completely out of place.

You want a supercharged '60's Strat?

Sell what you have and get a Fender Classic Player '60's - it ticks all the boxes and not expensive. How much did that neck cost?

Of course it doesn't come in that green, but then they didn't in the '60's. ;)
    Or do what I did and buy a CP60's just for the neck and ebay the rest of it :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    I'm with the others... the body, plastics etc look right to me. The neck would actually look right if you lightly sand with wire wool just the back and leave the headstock front. In the late 60's Fender started using poly on the headstock face to seal the decals and it was nitro elsewhere so they tend to have orange headstocks! I like the big headstock, I went similar spec on my bravewood build.
    Other way around.  :)

I think the OP's strat is very nice btw. Swap the neck with someone else's if you don't think it fits your guitar.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I don't have a problem with that at all, it looks like a very cool strat (other than I'm not keen on the bigger 70s headstock). If I was after a strat and that was for sale I'd be interested. I should clarify though - I don't need one!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited March 2017
    Another +1 for a Classic Player 60's neck. Alternatively, and if you can find one, an MIM Robert Cray neck might suit you more as it's slightly fuller but not a baseball bat.

A more aged pickguard, too, would work on this - it looks too white. Again, look at the Robert Cray one
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    It's hard to stop viewing a bitsa as a collection of parts and I think it takes time even when you're happy with it. I've always thought yours looked killer Bucket. I'd just try some other necks - my MJT is on its third now. 

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2467
    Other way around.  :)

I think the OP's strat is very nice btw. Swap the neck with someone else's if you don't think it fits your guitar.
    Yep, you're right!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    It looks great, and if you go with your hunch that the neck ain't right then change it and jobs a good un. We all tend to over think these things, period correct features etc, but when I get obsessed I always think, Jeff Beck uses a 2-point trem, Eric Johnson puts a single coil sized Dimarzio humbucker in his '57 Strat etc etc. It's whatever works for you, not what other people on forums think.

Yours looks way more like a CS Strat than my own CS Strat, which has all the "wrong" features.