Earplugs for Gigs

What's Hot
andypandyp Frets: 332
Hi folks.

Maybe a bit of an odd request, but I've found myself with mild tinnitus in my left ear that seems to have gotten progressively worse over the past year or so. It initially happened after a Mogwai gig a few years ago that was insanely loud but things recovered ok after a couple of weeks, but a spate of gigs close together in 2016 seems to have sent it over the edge so now I have the mild kind of "whooshing" noise when the ambient noise is absolutely silent. It's not really bothering me but I don't want it to get any worse and still really want to go out and see bands. So I'm thinking it's earplug time. :(

I'm looking for some cheap-ish gig friendly earplugs and was hoping someone here may be a sound engineer or musician who could offer some advice. I've used earplugs on motorbikes for 18 years but they are pretty crude and even trying my custom fitted bike ones at a gig didn't work very well - it muffled everything and it basically sounded crap. I've had a look around online but it's hard to tell what's what. A mate has some he got from amazon for something like £15 and reckons they're fine, I've also got a heap of disposable foam ones already... these may be all I need but any advice would help. I just want to reduce the dB level but still be able to hear what they're playing properly. Is this a can't have your cake and eat it job?

Cheers.

Andy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited April 2017
    The ER-20 are good "one size fits all". I used those before getting custom moulds. Miles better than the industrial foam plugs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Thanks man, I'll check those out. Cheers!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30824
    I'm off to see Lady Gaga in October so I'll probably get some of these.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    The ER-20 are good "one size fits all". I used those before getting custom moulds. Miles better than the industrial foam plugs. 
    I couldn't use ER20's because the fit is for an ear canal size that is smaller than mine.
    I've gone back to foam plugs for drumming- the moulded ones block out too much of the band and I can't hear what they are doing.
    Hopefully we are going to all more to IEM's soon.
  • ER20s are decent for the money.

Always wear earplugs at rock band gigs. Almost every gig is loud enough to need them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    I use an ER 20 in my left ear for fiddle practise which seems OK to me, I don't notice any loss in tone per se, or have any trouble with intonation (well, I do but I can hear when I'm out of tune). I'm an old folky, we don't got to loud gigs so not tried em at a gig.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    ACS also do some called Pacato which come with a couple of different sized rubber moulds. I bought some as a back-up to keep in my gig bag just incase i forget my mounded ones (as i use those at gigs I go to not just the ones I play). 
    edited April 2017
    Really useful guys, thanks. The ER-20 are £12 on Amazon so I think I'll get some. Maybe I'm getting old at 37, but the last few gigs I've been at have been just that bit too loud. Especially Mercury Rev (who I'm not really a huge fan of but fancied seeing them)... they were insanely loud. So much so that I couldn't hear anything they were doing. Seemed all wrong to me as it's kind of ambient style music.

I decided I better do something now, so the options were quit going to gigs or get earplugs.
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 274
    I bought some ACS Pro17's and my only regret is that I didn't buy them sooner. I have some ER20's which work well for lower volume gigs, but don't cut enough decibels at loud gigs. I used to use foam ones but they cut out too much top end for me.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    andyp said:
    Maybe I'm getting old at 37 ...
    Bloody youngster
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sorry @Roland ;. Somehow 37 does feel old these days though.

I'll take a look at those Pro 17s too, thanks @CarpeDiem ;
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    octatonic said:
    I couldn't use ER20's because the fit is for an ear canal size that is smaller than mine.

ER-20 s have a small size too (blue).  I got some for my gf a few years back.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    CarpeDiem said:
    I bought some ACS Pro17's and my only regret is that I didn't buy them sooner. I have some ER20's which work well for lower volume gigs, but don't cut enough decibels at loud gigs. I used to use foam ones but they cut out too much top end for me.
    I got my ears done at the Birmingham show for some Pro17s after @not_the_dj et al recommended them. I too wish I'd had em done sooner - I can't recommend them highly enough - the roll off is flat as far as I can tell. Rehearsals are basically at TV volume with them in. Just get em done lads. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    ER20s for me too. Band rehearsals and gigs (playing and watching). Don't care if mates take the piss - i had a scary incident a few years ago like you. Took a week for my ears to stop ringing after a loud gig.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    I use earpeace, slightly more expensive than the er20s but much more comfortable and equally as (if not more) effective. 
    edited April 2017
    @Lebarque ;;;

Yeah, to be honest pisstaking or feeling like I have to explain wearing plugs at a gig are two main reasons why I've not done it before. I often had a slight ringing for 24-48hrs but the last couple of loud ones I was at the ringing stretched to a week - or more even. My right ear is totally fine but my left is definitely affected now. It's not really bothering me as it is mild, but I'm pretty sure my hearing is worse than it was and I just don't want to make it any worse and wake up one day with it at an intolerable level.

It's probably as much mental as anything, but when it is completely silent (like lying in bed or something) I find myself noticing it and then wondering if it's all in my head. It's not though as my right ear is completely silent so I know something is wrong with my left as it's not like that.

Nearly 20 years on motorbikes and 12-15 years working in construction mean I'm well aware of tinnitus and always wore earplugs, yet here I am with it anyway...!
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Got some 'Thunderplugs' for a fiver at the guitar show in Birmingham and wore them at the last gig I went to. Complete revelation for me, beforehand I was concerned that it would sound odd, maybe certain frequencies would be cut out more or something like that, but I didn't notice anything detrimental.  No ringing in my ears, no headache.  I'm actually convinced that I enjoyed it more as it was at a comfortable volume. It still sounded loud though, maybe a bit higher than the loudest I ever have my earphones set if I'm listening to music. 
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I use ER20s and can hear all the instruments and can chat with my mate at conversation level. Good for gigs too as you can still hear the others. I got some Flare Isolate and they really do block everything out and you can really only hear yourself - only use them for the proper loud gigs now. They Attenuate more than filter I think - ER20 is a great cheap option.
    The ER20s arrived today from Amazon so I'll test them for fit etc. when I get home this weekend. I saw the Flare ones on Facebook I think, they look cool but think they're around £40 a pair and I'll probably only be going to 3 or 4 gigs this year.
  • A wise purchase!
    I have some I got from Amazon, around the 15-20 quid mark. Pefectly good, save damaging my hearing any further and if anything improve my gig enjoyment as they remove any annoying harsh attack (which my ears really cannot take these days)

For my own gigs I use in-ears and wouldn't dream of gigging without something in my ears to protect them from the reality of a live drum kit and a cranked guitar amp.