Boss Katana price rise

What's Hot
mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
Just a heads up if anyone's after the katana 50 most shops are now selling for £189 just  a few left selling for £169
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    Was expecting that - a lot of people were out of stock and with the currency situation the new stock was always going to be pricier.

Superb amps for the money (and full stop) even at £189 of course!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • beowulfbeowulf Frets: 44
    edited April 2017
    Wow that's unheard of! I for one blame brexit

edit: Just pulled the trigger on a 100w 1x12 for £249, had been procrastinating on buying this for ages and this certainly spurred me on!
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Was expecting that - a lot of people were out of stock and with the currency situation the new stock was always going to be pricier.

Superb amps for the money (and full stop) even at £189 of course!
    Still a couple of shops doing them for £169 but low on stock so be quick if you are after one !
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326

When they first hit the UK, I knew they would be good sellers and I knew they'd go up quickly...so I jumped and pre-ordered one at £235 as I bartered them down a bit....(K100 1x12) and I absolutely love it. Cheaper than some boutique pedals!

I still think they are a bargain. The 1x12 100W is a perfect little practice/rehearsal/gigging tool.

If you get the 100w combo/head version, pickup the Boss footswitch when you can...about £85 off Amazon.

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited April 2017
    If the put them in a fancier case they could add £150 to the price and still sell loads. My favourite guitar purchase by far.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Bugger!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• quite fancy one of these, the 100 112 combo to replace my laney vc30 212 as im finding it too big and heavy to lug about. just concerned whether its loud enough and will cut through, fairly loud drummer. anyone actually gigging these?
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    quite fancy one of these, the 100 112 combo to replace my laney vc30 212 as im finding it too big and heavy to lug about. just concerned whether its loud enough and will cut through, fairly loud drummer. anyone actually gigging these?
    The 100w was plenty loud enough I thought.  Nice amp too.  I prefer VC30's though, not sure about the modern ones but I had a 2x10 years ago that was ace.  
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Interesting, someone on TGP has hacked the Katana software, turns out there are 27 amps accessible using the software on your computer, not just the 5 options the amp controls give you, nice :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    The pound was overvalued anyway so we should welcome these price rises.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefan said:
    Interesting, someone on TGP has hacked the Katana software, turns out there are 27 amps accessible using the software on your computer, not just the 5 options the amp controls give you, nice :)

Read through that last night. Amazing. Has the tera echo on board too! 

Perhaps boss were planning a series of firmware updates to increase its use? 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    clarkefan said:

Do you have a link? Can't seem to find it. 
    clarkefan said:

Do you have a link? Can't seem to find it. 
    Yes linky please - did they say you need to actually hack it, or can you dial these in with the Tone Studio software?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    It appears to be here on TGP - https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/23886336/

This has just made me even more interested in the Katana than I already was...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Jees so much to play with!
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    edited April 2017
    This probably means the Katana is just a GT100 with a power amp. The GT100 is £350 as well.

Edit:
    From the GT100 Blurb on GuitarGuitar:

In version 2.0, Boss have added new MDP effects powered by innovative BOSS technology - Tera Echo, Overtone, and A-DIST, as well as new Rotary 2 and Acoustic Guitar Simulator effects types.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    This probably means the Katana is just a GT100 with a power amp. The GT100 is £350 as well.

Edit:

In version 2.0, Boss have added new MDP effects powered by innovative BOSS technology - Tera Echo, Overtone, and A-DIST, as well as new Rotary 2 and Acoustic Guitar Simulator effects types.
    Do we know if this hack works on the Katana 50 or is it just on the Katana 100?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited April 2017

Edit:

Boss have been very clever in the preamp and power amp design though.  It's not just a GT100 bolted onto a stock Class D power amp module.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I would be very surprised if the 5 models on the Katana front panel were the same as ones on the GT-100 as I had a GT-100 and found the modelling to be quite poor even when used into the return of a valve amp.

Either that or the Katana has got something clever like the Blackstar TVP circuit to make it sound more realistic.

It makes sense that Boss have reused the GT-100 firmware as it takes a lot of effort to build an OS and all of the features that you require for something like a multi FX and all the FX on the GT-100 were very good anyway. I expect they have just added in the new Katana models.

I'm interested to see if anyone hacks the Blues Cube because I'm fairly convinced the Tone Capsules are just software unlocks for models that are already in the amp.
    tony99 said:

Edit:

Do we know if this hack works on the Katana 50 or is it just on the Katana 100?
    They seem to be basically identical up until the power stage (extra patches notwithstanding) so I'd be amazed if they didn't.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom