Anyone playing hybrid picking?

What's Hot
Always associated this style of picking with peeps on a Telecaster playing rootin' tootin' country stuff. However it has become somewhat mainstream. Both on electric and acoustic. Any exponents of this plectrum and 3 fingers playing style? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Yes, pretty much my default technique 
    I just started doing it one day- it felt very natural.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10397
    Yep all my playing is hybrid now, pick and 2 fingers though. For skipping across strings it's the most natural solution and it's a more expressive sound than pick only  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • octatonic said:

I like the sound of this. Hope that it feels natural when I have a go tomorrow. 
  • Danny1969 said:
    Yep all my playing is hybrid now, pick and 2 fingers though. For skipping across strings it's the most natural solution and it's a more expressive sound than pick only  
    I'm even more convinced now to give it a try. Watch out Albert Lee!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    octatonic said:

I like the sound of this. Hope that it feels natural when I have a go tomorrow. 
    I had to work on it- I don't mean that I woke up being able to do it one day, just that it felt more natural than any of the other available options.
  • I always give a new technique a fortnight octatonic. More time if I  enjoy it/think that it will make me a better player.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    I basically started out as a fingerpicker, so it was a way of making that more rocky and adaptable. I flip between hybrid and straight pick all the time. Richard Thompson's one of my main men so it probably came from playing that stuff ages ago. I'd recommend anyone to give it a go.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10397
    I was pick only but then got into Mark Knopler so spent a lot of time using fingers only to kind of ape his style. Then it was just a case of using both styles at once. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited April 2017
    octatonic said:

Same as this ^. I actually wish I could play totally with my fingers as I prefer the sound (Richie Kotzen's been doing this for a while). I'm not even sure what I'm doing and I'll need to have a good look at what fingers I'm introducing.

Also, even though I'm currently playing more bass than guitar, I even employ it there when playing octaves.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    Yeah i use hybrid quite a bit for string skipping and and a smoother sound ...i used to use legato more than anything then started using hybrid after that ....i just mix it all up really 
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 288
    It's a really useful technique, and can easily be switched in and out of during a song, eg Under The Bridge by Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Gordon Giltrap uses this technique.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    Occasionally I use the pick plus 2nd, 3rd and pinky. But I'm most fluent with the thumb, 1st and 2nd fingers, so sometimes I have to ditch the pick completely.
    It's not a competition.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited April 2017
    I find it slow going as I've done fingerstyle and pick style seperately for years. I had to start learning it after watching that epic Danny Gatton live vid that Octatonic? Posted some time back. 
  • I have just started to try hybrid picking again after years of fingers only. I associated it very much with country players but saw David Grissom, when he was with Joe Ely, around 1988. It was POW!, unbelievable. Certainly some country in there but so much more. I am determined to get it together but will have to be patient.  
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I use it more than I realised but can't do anything fancy with it - I use it a lot when picking clean chords as it is softer but also on octaves (Does Your Mother know!) and things like Fortunate Son where the riff calls for it.
    The guys who use it to great effect apart from Country dudes are Nick Johnston and Andre Nieri - they shred (very tastefully tho) using it.

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    I've somehow evolved a sort of bastardised hybrid picking approach using a thumbpick and fingers, but also using my first finger almost like a plectrum to sweep down across the strings. Not sure it's a good sound but at least it's my sound.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Yes, otherwise no fusion-y 212121 runs
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Almost. I use pick and 2 fingers a lot. It0's always felt natural, bit it does limit a bit too. Richard Thompson as awesome hybrid picking technique. He can keep palm muted 8ths going in the bass and solo over the top. It's sort of his defining sound and requires a lot of fluency to make sound good.

I can't do it. 
  • Paul_LPaul_L Frets: 52
    I can fingerpick and I can use a pick but find it difficult to strum with my fingers and use hybrid picking. I think its the process of unlearning what I am use to. 
    Maintained it for 20 years. This old guitar's had 17 new necks and 14 new bodies in its time.