Jon Gomm Interview

What's Hot
Jon Gomm Interview with Guitar Interactive May 2016

"Jon Gomm, based in Leeds, West Yorkshire in the UK, is an acoustic singer-songwriter with a revolutionary virtuoso guitar style, where he uses one acoustic guitar to create drum sounds, basslines and twisting melodies all at the same time. The emphasis is still on the soulful vocals and songwriting, and his original material is influenced by everything from Robert Johnson to Radiohead.

His live shows combine deeply personal performances and a natural wit, with a once seen, never forgotten two-handed guitar style, both physical and complex, producing sounds people can barely believe are coming from a humble acoustic guitar.

Jon first laid his hands on a guitar at the age of two (actually it was a ukulele - his parents couldn’t find a guitar small enough). He wrote his first song at the age of six, and was soon accompanying his father, a music critic, to gigs in his hometown of Blackpool. Touring musicians would often stay at the Gomm household on the understanding Jon would get a guitar lesson, meaning he had one-to-one instruction from such blues legends as BB King and Jack Bruce of Cream."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133

Part one

Duration 17:58

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    edited April 2017
    He is genuinely one of the nicest people you could have the pleasure of meeting, humble and supremely talented. I was fortunate to share a gig with him many years ago and he was only too happy to sit down and have a good old natter about music and his favourite girl "Wilma" his Lowden and the artificial beer belly lump of foam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Fabulous acoustic guitar player, his song 'Passionflower' is one of my all-time acoustic favourites.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    Supremely talented, though there are only a few of his songs I genuinely enjoy. There's no denying his skill though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Interesting style and very skillful but I couldn't sit through a whole gig.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Sassafras said:
    His gigs are refreshingly diverse, the last time I caught Jon he decided to walk through the audience, covering Radiohead's High and Dry Troubador style, you could hear a pin drop.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    sweepy said:
    Sassafras said:
    His gigs are refreshingly diverse, the last time I caught Jon he decided to walk through the audience, covering Radiohead's High and Dry Troubador style, you could hear a pin drop.

Hmmm, that sounds even worse than I first feared.
     :) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1705
    He's obviously got a talent and people seem to like his style but after seeing him in a local pub a few years ago I couldn't sit through another gig of his. 

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Chris_J said:
    Supremely talented, though there are only a few of his songs I genuinely enjoy. There's no denying his skill though. 
    Same here but I really enjoyed his arrangement of Chaka Khan's "Ain't Nobody".
    Ain't Nobody (Chaka Khan)

One of my favourite Jon Gomm performances from 2012, so it's not just you @Kebabkid  :)

Jon says "This is my cover of the Chaka Khan dancefloor classic from 1982. When I was a kid, I played gigs in pubs in Blackpool, and often my audience was mostly elderly ladies spending their pension money on bacardi! Quite often they'd tolerate my original songs and blues covers for only so long, and eventually a representative would be sent over to remonstrate with me. "Excuse me young man, please can you play something we can dance to?" So this is my emergency disco song. "

Duration 3:39

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Or with vocals by Daniel Tompkins

Duration 3:38

edited April 2017

Interview ~ part 2

Duration 21:30

• Unreal guitarist, saw him on guitar star. One thing I noticed was he always had his bare feet on show.... you might be good on guitar but put the talons away mate....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 600
    Those Lowdens really do sound phenomenal! Clearly a great guitarist, though I struggle to get into percussionist acoustic music for anything more than a couple of songs.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    Is here on here?  He used to frequent the Musicradar site under the name Performing Chimp or something similar.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Dodge said:
    Is here on here?  He used to frequent the Musicradar site under the name Performing Chimp or something similar.
    Yeah, he's on here as the same ( although an infrequent visitor I think). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.