The HEAVIEST (weight) amp you ever owned and do you still have it ?

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Not counting cabs, the heaviest combo's I've had back in the 70's was a 6-input Vox AC30 Top Boost with Alnico Blues, that weighed around 76lbs, but prior to that I had a Fender 2x12 Blackface dual reverb and then a 2x12 Silverface twin reverb.  I can't honestly remember the weight of these - I'm sure they were a fair bit heavier than the current re-issues.  But in those days the standard combo was an all-valve 2x12 & they were all bloody heavy!! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have owned both the Mesa OS and Blackstar S1 (also OS) straight 412s, which are about 50kg IIRC. I no longer own either as I prefer standard sized 412s or 212s
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Fender Twin- it was a monster.
    Not as bad as this though:

2reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Bad Cat 30w 2x12 combo, at 95lbs I thought I might just beat @ICBM ;'s legendary Trem-o-Verbs, but then he had wheels, WHEELS FFS ! and side handles !  I think that more than cancels out the mere 3lb extra.  No wheels and an admittedly rather nice single leather strap handle makes it a bastard to move around.  Back injuries and a past dislocated and broken shoulder makes me think that it was not my smartest choice, but it does sound like the combined choirs of heaven  :)

Seems like a complete wimp out compared to @fretmeister 's Ampeg 8x10s though !

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited April 2017
    Matchless DC30. Made worse by only having one handle! Sold to @Cabicular but a great sounding amp, actually sounded better than the HC30 and cab that replaced it.

i used that in a band that also carted an Ampeg SVT in flight case, with matching 8x10 cab, and a full size Hammond with Leslie....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Bad Cat 30w 2x12 combo, at 95lbs I thought I might just beat @ICBM 's legendary Trem-o-Verbs, but then he had wheels, WHEELS FFS ! and side handles !  I think that more than cancels out the mere 3lb extra.
    It certainly does. Making an amp that heavy with only a top handle is just plain stupid. The only possible excuse is that they assumed it would be flightcased.

@Moe_Zambeek had a Matchless which was very similar.

I really didn't think the Trem-o-verbs were *that* hard to move, to be honest. Even a straight lift into the back of a car wasn't too bad because the handles were in the right place (unlike on an AC30!). I also once carried one into a downstairs bar on my own without it feeling too risky, although I think I had help on the way out.

Ampeg 8x10 cabs are simply not designed to be lifted - they intentionally don't even have handles for it. They have a built-in sack trolley, effectively - and slide strips on the back, so you just wheel them up to the back of the van and tip them over the sill. If you need to take one upstairs you use the service lift...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RigsbyRigsby Frets: 62
    CarpeDiem said:
    I'm sure others may come up with heavier amps, but for me it was a Mesa Boogie Lonestar 2x12. Great amp, but felt too heavy carrying up and down stairs, and I go to the gym regularly!

+ 1. I'm sure mine was 80lbs+ Great amp but don't have it any more!
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    Laney VC50. It put my back out often. No longer have it but it did sound great though 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    My former Blackstar Artisan 30 makes my twin feel light. Shit a kidney every time I moved it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3839
    Silverface Pro Reverb. Sold it and gave up on 2x12's. Until i get a roadie... :0)
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    Mark IV boogie with flight case, I don't have it anymore.  I have enough trouble with my back carrying an AER!
  • Silver face twin reverb. However it was a US model and someone had converted it to use in the UK. But they didn't take out the old PT, they just added another one...

that was quite heavy.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    edited April 2017
    For size/weight ratio. The 1x12 boogie combos. Silly heavy.

The heaviest I've ever Seen was on a US Craigslist ad. Some dude in Colorado had put a twin reverb into a custom 2 & half inch thick maple cab with 2xD120 JBLs. The mind boggles. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4778
    edited April 2017
    Had a late 70s Silverface Twin which was heavy enough, bought a Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 2x12 after that. 70lbs with no casters and one handle, easy enough to move around if you lift and carry it though. 

Love it and will never part with it......

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    Matchless DC30. Made worse by only having one handle! Sold to @Cabicular but a great sounding amp, actually sounded better than the HC30 and cab that replaced it.

Same for me. The DC30 is a backbreaker. Strangely enough I also had a HC30 head but it was much better sounding than the combo. Should've kept it............
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    My Egnater Rebel 30 2x12 is 40kg/88lbs. I have put casters on it and the side handles are in a decent place for lifting. However, with a very dodgy back, I'm moving it on for a lightweight 50W DV Mark head and a neodymium 2x12 cab. Age catches up with us all.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26573
    Laney VH100R, which I bought in London and then lugged across the length of the Tube and two trains before nearly dying getting it over the bridge at my home station. Didn't dare drop it for fear of putting a hole in the planet.

That amp is ultimately responsible for the nerve problems in my right arm, I think; sounded amazing, but I'm very much glad to have seen the back of it.
    <space for hire>
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    edited April 2017
    my Mesa Lonestar 1x12 is 72lbs hence me having a head shell made for it.

I remember lifting an Ampeg SVT head in a flight case onto an 8x10 cab and it was ridiculous, even between 2 skinny rockers!

• gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    Fender Twin Reverb.
    Lived on the 3rd floor with no lift.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    It's either gonna be the Diezel D-Moll that I had, which was heavy as sin. Or the Rockerverb 100 MKIII that I have, which is also heavy as sin!