The HEAVIEST (weight) amp you ever owned and do you still have it ?

What's Hot

Comments

• jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    edited April 2017
    These are pretty heavy.  
    http://i.imgur.com/yqzsFUb.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fender Twin.  Heavy as a very heavy thing and with one handle.  
  • octatonic said:
    Fender Twin- it was a monster.
    Not as bad as this though:

Terrifying. 

Heaviest for me was a borrowed amp, a 6505 2x12 combo. But I remember watching shop staff trying to move a diddy little boogie mark 1 or 2 with graphic eq. It looked like a 1x10 it's such a small amp but they really struggled! 

Must be the ev speaker they cram into it... 
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    edited April 2017
    Mesa Nomad 45 4x10.  I had some specs for the weight of it once, but it's near 100lb from memory.  Surprisingly easy to move though as the speakers even out any weight inconsistencies in the so it stays pretty much level and you don't have to bend to lift it. I still have it.  It sounds gorgeous.

Heaviest had to be the peavey deuce though.  My back aches just thinking about it.  I think they make the Abrams' out of recycled Deuces.  Sold it after making a footpedal for it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I almost forgot... technically I still own a Peavey T-Max 1x15" 500W bass combo. It weighs 114lb, is an awkward shape and is impossible to lift on your own without risking injury.

I say 'technically' because I gave it to the owner of the practice studio we use, and he hasn't paid me for it yet. To be perfectly honest, if he never does it will still be preferable to having to take it away...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3039
    Laney VH100R, which I bought in London and then lugged across the length of the Tube and two trains before nearly dying getting it over the bridge at my home station. Didn't dare drop it for fear of putting a hole in the planet.

That amp is ultimately responsible for the nerve problems in my right arm, I think; sounded amazing, but I'm very much glad to have seen the back of it.
    I did the same thing. I bought a VH100R from Wembley Guitar Centre around when wembley was having a lot major works. 2 buses, 3 trains and a taxi with that huge thing. Should of just got it delivered but I wanted it badly 
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    SidNewton said:
    Matchless DC30. Made worse by only having one handle! Sold to @Cabicular but a great sounding amp, actually sounded better than the HC30 and cab that replaced it.

Same for me. The DC30 is a backbreaker. Strangely enough I also had a HC30 head but it was much better sounding than the combo. Should've kept it............
    I still have it (I can't move it ;) )
    also have a King Cobra head which is the heaviest head I own ... sweet baby jeebuz
    The Black Cat hotcat 1x12 is ridiculous for a 1x12
    Gibson Goldtone is not a lot of fun to move either
    (need you to take a look at that @ICBM .Its blown a couple of fuses and smells a bit 'burney' )

Cabicular said:

Gibson Goldtone is not a lot of fun to move either
    (need you to take a look at that @ICBM .Its blown a couple of fuses and smells a bit 'burney' )
    Oh dear... those do that! Sadly a Trace Failalot design that Gibson inherited. They do sound good - when they work.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• Diezel Herbert, my God the transformers in there are just enormous, and I had it in a flight case. I'm not kidding when I say it weighs as much as some heavy combo's. 

Don't have it anymore but it wasn't the weight that made me get rid of it. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Jimbro66 said:
    I had the Burman Pro 2000 for a couple of years. Great sounding amp but heavier than the moon.
    I used to have a Burman Pro 4000HD bass amp (I bought it new in the 70s); that and a pair of Marshall 4x12s helped keep my muscles toned!
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 782
    Fender twin amp. 72lb. Ok with castors & not as bad as poeple make out for transporting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MonstronautMonstronaut Frets: 193
    Fender Twin and Mark V boogie were the heaviest individual amps I've had. I used to live in a 3rd floor Tenement flat in Glasgow and would take my full Marshall stack to gigs. Nobody in the band drove. I don't know how I got to gigs.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    My rack system is heavy to the point you wouldn't attempt to lift it yourself. It's all wheels and ramps and you hope there's never any stairs in the equation

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    Danny1969 said:
    My rack system is heavy to the point you wouldn't attempt to lift it yourself. It's all wheels and ramps and you hope there's never any stairs in the equation

I assume you never dragged all that to a local bar gig in the dog and duck ?
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7145
    My pedalboard is heavier than my fender twin by a distance, for what it's worth. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    My pedalboard is heavier than my fender twin by a distance, for what it's worth. 
    https://i1.wp.com/members.shaw.ca/bigpile5/Insane_pedalboard.jpg

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7145
    ICBM said:
    https://i1.wp.com/members.shaw.ca/bigpile5/Insane_pedalboard.jpg
    Ha! Not far off
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    70's Silverface Fender Twin with JBL's - sounded glorious , weighed a metric fucktonne!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Danny1969 said:

I assume you never dragged all that to a local bar gig in the dog and duck ?
    Just hitch it up behind the car and tow it there!
  • Mesa Boogie 2 x 12 Tremoverb. 100 odd lbs of amp.  So heavy the first time I put it in my car it crushed the boarding covering the spare wheel.  Had to go...