The HEAVIEST (weight) amp you ever owned and do you still have it ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Danny1969 said:
    My rack system is heavy to the point you wouldn't attempt to lift it yourself. It's all wheels and ramps and you hope there's never any stairs in the equation

I assume you never dragged all that to a local bar gig in the dog and duck ?
    Ha Ha, yes actually it gets used in pubs every month, I used it Sat night in The Heroes, Waterlooville. In that particular band though my gear is far from the biggest, in this picture below there's a hardcased Ampeg SVT classic and hardcased 8 x 10 Ampeg cab. Smallest amp we use is a hardcased Fender Twin :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    ^ no better argument for a helix
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    I wish I could afford a Helix, or an AxeFx  ... I've done some gigs with a Tonelab into PA so I'm not against modelling. Last night I gig'ed a 25 watt  Fender Champion 110 so I'm all for little amps too. It's just see'ing this thread is all about heavy amps I thought I would wade in with the Marshall rack
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2419
    Mesa Boogie 2 x 12 Tremoverb. 100 odd lbs of amp.  So heavy the first time I put it in my car it crushed the boarding covering the spare wheel.  Had to go...
    I had an extended trial of a Tremoverb combo courtesy of one of the Denmark Street stores. To this day it remains one of the nicest sounding and most versatile amps I have ever used but heaving it in and out of the car boot brought back painful memories of my earlier Burman so it was handed back before any serious harm was done. That amp was also available as head+cab and I've half kept an eye out for one but they rarely show.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    My Marshall artistes are on par with my fender twin reverb Silverface for weight but way cooler. 
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    Mesa Electradyne. What a splendid amp - but with a bad back, I couldn't deal with the 80 pounds so it had to go.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Danny1969 said:

Ha Ha, yes actually it gets used in pubs every month, I used it Sat night in The Heroes, Waterlooville. In that particular band though my gear is far from the biggest, in this picture below there's a hardcased Ampeg SVT classic and hardcased 8 x 10 Ampeg cab. Smallest amp we use is a hardcased Fender Twin :)

Love the 'down' arrow pointing upwards :).

My in-laws live in Denmead… I'll ask them how you sounded, I'm sure they could hear you ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• DominicDominic Frets: 16013
    Gibson SupaGoldtone combo ...............heavy,man
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    I haven't had anything in ballpark of these but I do wonder how I used to get an AC30 up and down stairs on my own (steep stairs in our 2 up 2 down we lived in when we first got married) The AC30 is long gone great amp though. I always say if an amps got wheels or casters watch out. My recently purchased pedalboard and flight case is feckin' heavy too probably heavier than my Marshall combos.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    Two early 60s AC30s... plus I'd take a third if it was a big/outdoor gig...

That was before I realised I was being a complete penis and that the look of horror from sound engineers was justified. Best quote I ever heard was "fuck me, Brian, you look very different without the poodle perm wig and the annoying bint wife"
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HalikusHalikus Frets: 59
    Heaviest combo,  by far the Mesa tremoverb combo, man do i miss that amp.... Heaviest head in both wieght and br00tal is my current amp the Diezel Herbert. 
  • HalikusHalikus Frets: 59
    Jimbro66 said:
    Mesa Boogie 2 x 12 Tremoverb. 100 odd lbs of amp.  So heavy the first time I put it in my car it crushed the boarding covering the spare wheel.  Had to go...
    I had an extended trial of a Tremoverb combo courtesy of one of the Denmark Street stores. To this day it remains one of the nicest sounding and most versatile amps I have ever used but heaving it in and out of the car boot brought back painful memories of my earlier Burman so it was handed back before any serious harm was done. That amp was also available as head+cab and I've half kept an eye out for one but they rarely show.
    There is a head and cab on the bay thats been there for a good year or so, guy wants best part of £3k for it however so its still there: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mesa-Dual-Rectifier-Tremoverb-head-amp-new-cab-Waranteed-VERY-RARE-/282438581518?hash=item41c2a6bd0e:g:EIcAAOSw~OdVW2Bz

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 610
    I still have my FSR Fender Supersonic Twin 100w that goes about 85lbs.. glad it's got castors that's for sure. That's the heaviest amp I've ever had.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    My heaviest was a Mesa F50, which I bought after liking an F30. It was a bazillion times the price and didn't sound as good. Yay for me making decisions... I don't have it any more - it needed a lot more volume to do anything useful, at home levels it hissed like a kettle full of snakes and the pop when switching channels was louder than I normally played...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1207
    edited April 2017
    I used to have a Peavey 210TX bass combo which was not only very heavy but extremely awkward to lift on my own. It had big metal handles set into each end but the width and depth were such that you had to be virtually laying on top of it before you attempted to raise it from the floor. It was nearly always a two man lift. After a near death/hernia experience on the stairs at The Hope & Anchor in Islington I all but abandoned it in favour of my Trace Eliot BLX80 which I could nearly always get miked up.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Bogner Goldfinger 1x12 combo, although lightweight by the standards set here at 66lbs.  No wheels and just one handle on the top made it really unpleasant to move around.

Absolutely brilliant amp though!
  • hoopshoops Frets: 223
    Matchless Chieftain 2x10 Great sounding amp but heavy on the chiropractor bills.
  • Matchless chieftain 2x12. Mad heavy but what an amp =)
    Also have it flightcased just to add that last kick in the nutsack !
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I used to have a Peavey 210TX bass combo which was not only very heavy but extremely awkward to lift on my own. It had big metal handles set into each end but the width and depth were such that you had to be virtually laying on top of it before you attempted to raise it from the floor. It was nearly always a two man lift.
    Very like my T-Max, other than the T-Max *always* being a two-man lift. You'd have to be a contestant on World's Strongest Man or something to seriously try to lift it on your own - you'll basically do yourself an injury.

After a near death/hernia experience on the stairs at The Hope & Anchor in Islington I all but abandoned it in favour of my Trace Eliot BLX80 which I could nearly always get miked up.
    Even those are remarkably heavy for such a small box - it's the complex baffling inside, which is made from the same thickness of MDF as the rest of it. The odd thing about them is that they don't sound at all loud or punchy when you're next to them, but the sound disperses very evenly over a wide area.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2419
    Halikus said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    There is a head and cab on the bay thats been there for a good year or so, guy wants best part of £3k for it however so its still there: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mesa-Dual-Rectifier-Tremoverb-head-amp-new-cab-Waranteed-VERY-RARE-/282438581518?hash=item41c2a6bd0e:g:EIcAAOSw~OdVW2Bz
    As usual "Very Rare" means insanely overpriced. It will still be there in another year or more.

A member here has/had one for sale that was a combo he had separated into head and speaker cabs. Reasonable price but came at the wrong time for me unfortunately.