The *Official* FretBoard Celebrity Fat Club Weigh In and Diet thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• ThorpyFX said:

Heres what I am after:

WEIGHT NOW: 18stone 6 lbs
    TARGET WEIGHT: 15stone (although what i really want is 10% body fat and a 32" waist.)

How I am going to do it: I'm going to try and cut out all processed sugars and carbs such as white bread, chocolate, biscuits, beer etc I will replace all of these with fruit, veg and lean protein such as chicken.

I've done this trip before and it worked for me: So I aim to run  calorie deficit of 7000 a week which equates to approximately 2lbs of fat(give or take) in caloric value. All the exercise I aim to do will be either High intensity or heavy weights. The core of this will be the Insanity fitness programme... which works a charm. the weights will be pyramid based starting heavy and working to failure.

Top Tip: The aim of the fitness side is to ensure i attain the elusive after effect of ramping my metabolism for hours so that i continue to burn calories whilst resting. Also I aim to maintain and increase muscle mass that will help burn calories throughout the day.

Much easier said than done, however I have a baby on the way and want to be energetic rather than lethargic.

Don't suppose you could elaborate on the training could you? 

I want strength. I was considering (when I've landed a job) joining the kelsey kerridge climbing thing, it's bouldering - so builds loads of strength without enormous muscles. I have stretch marks on my biceps from when I started doing weights at the gym, I build big muscles horribly fast :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:

I want strength. I was considering (when I've landed a job) joining the kelsey kerridge climbing thing, it's bouldering - so builds loads of strength without enormous muscles. I have stretch marks on my biceps from when I started doing weights at the gym, I build big muscles horribly fast :(
    So to allow me to work at an optimum level i need to avoid psychological barriers. Reps and numbers are all good for bulking but for me I work best when I train to failure. So for instance what ill do in a  session is focus on one particular body area and pair it with its opposite muscle group (chest and back, biceps triceps, back and abs etc etc).

So after warming up light at 60kg for benchpress Ill start repping at 120Kg which is just below 80% of my one rep max. I do this to failure using the smith machine if training alone or ideally the olympic bar if trading with a partner. Then after 30secs-45secs i drop 10kg and rep again to failure, rinse and repeat all the way to an empty bar at 20kg.

This ends up looking pathetic, but who cares. i then rest for a few minutes and do reverse incline press, and other such exercises before swapping to my back.

this really makes my weight sessions physically exhausting and i enjoy the endorphin rush i get from them.

is that helpful?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    edited April 2017
    Ok I'm declaring....
    Weight.13st 12 
    Target..Anything starting with 12st would be nice
    Diet..Purition shake for breakfast, more cycling and swimming. Can't do many weights due to costacondritus and don't need to build muscle.

I'm pretty good during the day anyway..no fizzy drinks or choc bars etc so it might be hard to cut back massively..I need a certain carb level or I get giddy/pissy and weak which ain't too good.

Cutting out Red wine during the week should help as well...

my best tip as always is...Don't eat yellow snow  B
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Hot tip: want to drop some scale weight in the first week?
    Drink more water than you currently are and cut back on salt.
    You could drop 4-5 lbs.

It won't be fat, but it might make you feel good to see a smaller number when you jump on the scales. :)
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    Thinking about it, kg`s are the way to go in weighing surely, after all you can shit a pound but you would struggle to shit a kilo.

• Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    I'll participate

Current Weight: 13st 12.75 lb
    Target: Be able to see my ab muscles (lose the beer belly)
    Planned diet: Cut out all crap - biscuits, cakes, pizzas etc.
    Exercise routine: Cycling 1 to 2 hrs per day
    Exercise Tips: Keep up daily momentum and persist every day whatever the weather. Remember - there is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
    edited April 2017
    ThorpyFX said:
    ThorpyFX said:

I want strength. I was considering (when I've landed a job) joining the kelsey kerridge climbing thing, it's bouldering - so builds loads of strength without enormous muscles. I have stretch marks on my biceps from when I started doing weights at the gym, I build big muscles horribly fast
    So to allow me to work at an optimum level i need to avoid psychological barriers. Reps and numbers are all good for bulking but for me I work best when I train to failure. So for instance what ill do in a  session is focus on one particular body area and pair it with its opposite muscle group (chest and back, biceps triceps, back and abs etc etc).

So after warming up light at 60kg for benchpress Ill start repping at 120Kg which is just below 80% of my one rep max. I do this to failure using the smith machine if training alone or ideally the olympic bar if trading with a partner. Then after 30secs-45secs i drop 10kg and rep again to failure, rinse and repeat all the way to an empty bar at 20kg.

This ends up looking pathetic, but who cares. i then rest for a few minutes and do reverse incline press, and other such exercises before swapping to my back.

this really makes my weight sessions physically exhausting and i enjoy the endorphin rush i get from them.

is that helpful?

Perfectly explained. 

I suspect that'd bulk me up a bit more than I'd like, but I can't say I've ever done it before. 

Edit: ex army. Do you really think I'm daft enough to say you look pathetic? :) 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    ThorpyFX said:
    ThorpyFX said:

I want strength. I was considering (when I've landed a job) joining the kelsey kerridge climbing thing, it's bouldering - so builds loads of strength without enormous muscles. I have stretch marks on my biceps from when I started doing weights at the gym, I build big muscles horribly fast

is that helpful?

Perfectly explained. 

I suspect that'd bulk me up a bit more than I'd like, but I can't say I've ever done it before. 

I got one of these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008TOZY32/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I followed this:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/

I couldn't do ANY pull ups back in January, and I didn't have it with me in March when I was in Japanland. So I'd guess I've been doing Scooby's process for a total of about 3 weeks, but spread out since I got it mid-Jan. I'm now up to 10 pull ups, which actually feels like a real achievement as silly as it sounds!!

I'm a weakling and always have been, and it's only been the last two years that I even took any interest in my body. It's been both depressing and revealing. I'm getting stronger, but I just have very terrible eating and drinking habits - it's basically a coping mechanism for stress and depression. I need a better solution.

tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    ThorpyFX said:

Perfectly explained. 

Fair enough, it does look hilarious especially if someone comes into your last set and sees a big bloke struggling to lift an empty bar.

btw, i wouldn't worry too much about bulking, your body can only hold so much muscle mass genetically without enhancements such as steroids. If you did want to bulk properly though, use Very high weights, low reps (4-5) 3 sets.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    tFB Trader
    Drew_TNBD said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    I got one of these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008TOZY32/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I followed this:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/

I couldn't do ANY pull ups back in January, and I didn't have it with me in March when I was in Japanland. So I'd guess I've been doing Scooby's process for a total of about 3 weeks, but spread out since I got it mid-Jan. I'm now up to 10 pull ups, which actually feels like a real achievement as silly as it sounds!!

I'm a weakling and always have been, and it's only been the last two years that I even took any interest in my body. It's been both depressing and revealing. I'm getting stronger, but I just have very terrible eating and drinking habits - it's basically a coping mechanism for stress and depression. I need a better solution.

thats a really cool programme. I like that guy, no bullshit and well explained. Btw double digits on pull-ups is awesome.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    Current weight: 19st 2lb  (fattest by a distance here!)

Target weight: Let's get down to 18st first and take it from there

Eat less crap, drink less alcohol, wank walk more,

Good luck everyone
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23964
    Current: 17st and half a pound.

Target 14.5 stone.

Stuff: MyFitnessPal and Runkeeper apps. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Chaps- CLA's are an excellent aid to dieting.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    edited April 2017
    Excuse my ignorance but what are CLA`s?

Extremely cynical I know but will it actually assist or is it just another way of making money from the overweight and keen to loose weight at any cost brigade?
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    Cornish Laxatives?  :)
  • ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited April 2017
    Now - 16 stone 2lb. 6 Foot 1 inch.
     Target - 15 stone. 5 Foot 9 inch. 
     How - HIIT on stationary bike, 3 times weekly - interspersed with a long, pacy walk twice a week. Few small tweeks to already  pretty good diet. 

http://www.self.com/story/4-ways-to-turn-the-stationary-bike-into-a-fat-burning-machine

No drugs, no gym membership, no cheating and definitely measurements in imperial...fook metric. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Tone71 said:
    Excuse my ignorance but what are CLA`s?

Extremely cynical I know but will it actually assist or is it just another way of making money from the overweight and keen to loose weight at any cost brigade?
    It is a supplement- conjugated linoleic acid and not a steroid.
    It is a fatty acid found in meat and dairy.
    It can potentially help aid weight loss, provided everything else is bang on as well.
    Some limited studies showed it aided a moderate amount of weight loss (3-4 lbs) for people who didn't change their behaviours but those results are not conclusive.

Like a lot of supplements the benefits are overstated- diet and exercise will get you 80% of the way there, imho.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JamesAshworthJamesAshworth Frets: 41
    edited April 2017
    Now 193.5 lbs, 40 inch waist

Target 170 lbs and 34 inch waist
    tFB Trader
    Some motivation from Chris Pratt. The struggle is universal, 

https://www.facebook.com/BuzzFeedObsessed/videos/446102045723647/
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I am 6' 2” and currently 16st 7lb  ( I may revise this post birthday)

I'd like to get closer to 15 stone 

The way i plan to do this is:
    Upping my runs to 2 per week and distance from 5 to 10k. 
    Stopping eating shit in the evening
    Partial fasting (no eating between 7pm and 1pm the next day)
    Cutting out booze.