The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Would like to have seen Sturgeon's face when she found out 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Can she even legally do that? Fixed Term Parliaments Act and all that...

An early election requires a 2/3 majority in Parliament - surely Labour aren't going to be stupid enough to vote for it? Unless they just see it as a quicker way of getting rid of Corbyn - but that's risky since it resets the clock for another 5 years of Tory government and gives May carte blanche.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    At least this could be the end of Corbyn. Even his grass roots support will surely see the light if he gets slaughtered in an election.
    The problem with that is that this is effectively going to be a second referendum - hard Brexit, or something more mild. That's all people are going to be thinking.

Personally, I think I might be voting Lib Dem for the first time ever. May's Brexit plan seems choc-full of holes, and the thought of Corbyn at the top with nobody to stop the disaster leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth. A Lab/Lib coalition, though, might work.
    <space for hire>
  • Seeing as everyone seems to be sick and tired of currently 'visible' politicians, I wouldn't be surprised to see an up turn for the Lib dems. They'll be on all the voting cards cards and I can see people go 'Ahh fuck it, they can't do much worse' and scribble a cross...

Given the referredum fallout, I don't think a lot  of people put much thought into it.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    On the flip side, a kicking in a GE will force Labour to change. 
    Like hell it will.  MSM, Blairites, Peter Mandleson, the PLP, the electorate, you name your excuse now.  It won't be Corbyn's fault and that's for damn sure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    ICBM said:

An early election requires a 2/3 majority in Parliament - surely Labour aren't going to be stupid enough to vote for it? Unless they just see it as a quicker way of getting rid of Corbyn - but that's risky since it resets the clock for another 5 years of Tory government and gives May carte blanche.
    And that's why the FTP Act is a complete sham.  Any party blocking an election by refusing to sign up to the 2/3 majority vote, will just get called out as being undemocratic and cowardly.  And everybody knows that whatever May says is actually "the will of the people"...God told her so.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • I genuinely don't know what I'd vote to be honest. I really dislike all of them. 

Lib dem are oddly appealing in a way, but only really because labour and tory and knobbers. But then, so were lib dem in the coalition. 

Is there a "reset" option, where you just delete them all and randomly generate new ones? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27580

Is there a "reset" option, where you just delete them all and randomly generate new ones? 
    Like Parliamentary musical chairs. Genius.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:

Like Parliamentary musical chairs. Genius.

Yeah, you get it. 
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Jeremy Corbyn will be the source of much amusment. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    So now we have endless weeks of electioneering saturating our radios and tellies.

Thanks a lot.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Wow, I actually think she wins wither way. Can't see Lib/Lab being realistic challengers in a GE and I can't really see either party wanting to take on Brexit as 1st point of order but if she is blocked she ban point fingers and say hamstrung by the opposition.. 
    scrumhalf said:
    So now we have endless weeks of electioneering saturating our radios and tellies.

Thanks a lot.
    Well, it's 7 weeks away. I don't think that's too bad to be honest...
    <space for hire>
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    scrumhalf said:

Thanks a lot.
    You want seven weeks of it???!!!!!
    scrumhalf said:
    scrumhalf said:

Thanks a lot.
    No, but it's a vast improvement over more than seven weeks of it ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalf said:
    scrumhalf said:

Thanks a lot.
    No, but it's a vast improvement over more than seven weeks of it ;)
    like the Yanks...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Unless Labour can pull off something extraordinary, which I doubt, I'll be considering a vote for Lib Dems.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    ICBM said:

The problem is that Labour have been calling for an early general election for months; Corbyn has repeatedly challeneged May to do it. If they don't vote for it they'll look like the biggest hypocrites ever.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    edited April 2017
    Expect the right wing press machine to be gearing up hard. How many more Loony Corbyn/Anti Semite Corbyn/Train seat dodging Corbyn headlines can we stand? 

And I'm certain a photo of Tim Farron wearing Red Socks whilst in Uni will be located shortly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom