Stacked knob Jazz

What's Hot
KoaKoa Frets: 120
Any love for Jazz basses with Stacked control knobs? I'm not sure if they're available in the current Fender range but seems to me there are some fantastic tone options you can't achieve on a VVT 3 knob configuration . 
I really like my '62 USA vintage reissue Jazz with both pickups vol full up, neck tone rolled all the way back and Bridge tone all the way up, fantastic growl!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I go the complete other way - I've got a no load tone pot on my Jazz so on 10 it's completely out of the circuit (basically making it a 2 knob bass).

The control cavity is pretty small on a Jazz making the stacked knobs necessary if you do want to do anything interesting.  I did consider getting one of the EMG stacked preamp circuits when I had a set of EMG J's in mine, but I put the stock Fender pickups back in and preferred it.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23919
    The Flea signature Jazz is a stack knob, and is a favourite on Basschat. Seems to be a very well put together instrument.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    I subscribe to the conventional wisdom on three pot Jazz Bass control circuits. One pickup turned fully up. The other rolled back a little, until a comb-filtering "honk" occurs. From this arrangement, it should be possible to achieve a wide range of tonal variations just from where the strings are picked.

In my opinion, the "one bright, one woolly" mixture described in the opening post is akin to a Rickenbacker 4001/4003 or, possibly, a Yamaha Attitude.
    Be seeing you.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    There are loads of good sounds in a Jazz bass.

I love everything on full for rock tones... gives big lows and highs that cut and leaves the midrange to other instruments. If you want to cut through more in the mids you can favour one pickup as that'll lessen the scoop, though I mostly leave everything on full and play with a pick. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953

In my opinion, the "one bright, one woolly" mixture described in the opening post is akin to a Rickenbacker 4001/4003
    That's one of the things I really like about the 4001 - two separate tone controls - although I've modded mine slightly, since I never used the bridge pickup tone… so I converted it into a variable 'vintage' bass-cut cap. Modern 4003s have a pull-switch to engage or disengage this, but that misses out on a whole range of great sounds in between the two. So now I have a standard tone on the neck pickup and a sweep from bass-cut to full on the bridge.

If you want to get this sort of arrangement on a standard Jazz without going to a lot of trouble to source stacked pots, just move the tone control to the neck pickup only - although that will need a bit of extra wire since it's connected in between the volumes and the jack normally. That way, if you back off the neck volume slightly the tone control no longer works on the bridge pickup.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Stack knobbed jazz you say? 1960 original you say? Dark Side of the Moon you say?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    Gassage said:
    Stack knobbed jazz you say? 1960 original you say? Dark Side of the Moon you say?
    I was just thinking that it was about Time that you posted that pic again :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Gassage said:
    You can Breathe easily now.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    ICBM said:

In my opinion, the "one bright, one woolly" mixture described in the opening post is akin to a Rickenbacker 4001/4003
    That's one of the things I really like about the 4001 - two separate tone controls - although I've modded mine slightly, since I never used the bridge pickup tone… so I converted it into a variable 'vintage' bass-cut cap. Modern 4003s have a pull-switch to engage or disengage this, but that misses out on a whole range of great sounds in between the two. So now I have a standard tone on the neck pickup and a sweep from bass-cut to full on the bridge.

If you want to get this sort of arrangement on a standard Jazz without going to a lot of trouble to source stacked pots, just move the tone control to the neck pickup only - although that will need a bit of extra wire since it's connected in between the volumes and the jack normally. That way, if you back off the neck volume slightly the tone control no longer works on the bridge pickup.
    I've sometimes wondered about adding a 5th (smaller) control, like some of the guitars have, to do that.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    Gassage said:
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:
    You can Breathe easily now.
    That must be worth a lot of Money.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    These terrible puns will cause Brain Damage.
    Be seeing you.
    Getting back to guitars, I believe the Jazz is available in Any Colour You Like.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    Gassage said:
    Getting back to guitars, I believe the Jazz is available in Any Colour You Like.

Oh yeah...........Speak To Me.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Stacked Knob Jazz?

https://images.talkbass.com/attachments/500full-jpg.414141/

Stacked.

Knob.

Jazz.

Adds up to me.

;)