Nails

What's Hot
artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
edited April 2017 in Acoustics
right lets talk nails. Anyone trying to make an acoustic guitar do its thing knows what we are talking about . Playing ac gtr for a living I have previously used a salon to get what are effectively plecs on the end of each finger , now I do the job myself. Anyone else using false nails ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4192
    Although I've spent some time playing music full time, a lot of my playing over the years has been semi pro, working day jobs where fake nails on one hand would have been only slightly less eyebrow raising than a full spider web face tattoo.

So instead I persevered with fingerpicks. It took about 3 months of focused practice to get comfortable with them but haven't looked back since. It's either those, or no picks and flesh if I want a softer sound....
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

When I was fingerpicking I just couldn't get used to having anything attached to my fingers, be it picks or anything artificial. I used to spend a fair bit of time with a file shaping my nails with a taper, so you get both the nail and the flesh for a more rounded tone. I could just stop if I noticed my nails taking a hammering, and then reshape them (while I had enough growth to do that). I guess you're in a different situation as it's your job.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Artie, tried false nails years ago on 3 fingers - nah - not for me, sure the 'accuracy' you get from the few mm's protruding from your f/tip is welcome but they were 'cumbersome' for normal every day things.
    I only need a mil or so protruding to give the f/tip enough rigidity so I buff the nails with very fine wet / dry paper.
    I suspect this is partly why I get a smooth round tone - I'm using mostly skin, and as you say false nails can be it's like having (thin) plectrums stuck on the ends of your fingers, You can actually pick out players who use false nails on good recordings - something about the sound, it can be TO accurate / precise and kinda 'brittle' = 'n not musical
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    I'm another one with only a fraction of nail showing, generally less than a mm. I often see players with huge great long nails, and while it clearly works for them I just can't get on like that.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    They don't have to be very long. I've managed for years with these:
    Image result for false nails
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:

you see, it's this kind of nonsense that really irks me, you don't need a long nail on your pinky.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2425

I have never liked the idea of false nails. I tried the ProPik Finger-Tone picks thinking they might be a little less clumsy than regular finger picks but still could not get on with them.

https://www.guptillmusic.com/propik-finger-tone-finger-picks

The strange thing is that I spent over ten years using regular ProPiks to play lap-style Dobro without any problem but they just feel and sound wrong for acoustic guitar.

I'm perhaps lucky to have fairly strong nails that I leave slightly long on my picking hand - maybe 2mm which is enough.

Some of the Nashville hybrid pickers strengthen their nails with super glue.

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Interesting comments. I would love to get away without and did try for around a year but ended up going back to applying an acrylic  over my nails. Totally agree about not keeping them long, just enough to give a solid tone while being able to use the pad of the finger as required. Too long and they can produce a harsh tone. I also spend a lot of time playing keys, bass and electric in the studio , all of which suffer if there's too much nail. 

My own nails are quite brittle, fine for playing at home or a gig or two, but after a few days constant playing there were too many issues to avoid the pain in the ass of having to do something about it. I like the fact that I can reapply the acrylic myself whenever I need it., plus a salon will try to do a neat job where as mine is certainly less obvious. It takes about 20/30 mins to do the job and it sets rock solid. Apart from that I keep them fairly naturally square shaped rather than the typically classic pointy look.

Back in the days before using acrylic I still wince to remember playing a couple of weeks of gigs, the second last of which left my index finger nail almost non existent. It was a bit sore during the second set and afterwards. The real pain started during the night , by the next morning I could'nt bear to touch anything with it, it was red raw. I had a 150 mile drive then the last gig to play, I igot through it but it was bloody excruciating and I decided , never again :)
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Lewy said:

So instead I persevered with fingerpicks. It took about 3 months of focused practice to get comfortable with them but haven't looked back since. It's either those, or no picks and flesh if I want a softer sound....
    I tried these and a thumbpick but whilst I got used to the thumbpick I've never really got to grips with the fingerpicks. Do you find that the fingerpicks provide more attack/volume than nails?

• LewyLewy Frets: 4192
    Lewy said:

I tried these and a thumbpick but whilst I got used to the thumbpick I've never really got to grips with the fingerpicks. Do you find that the fingerpicks provide more attack/volume than nails?

Well they provide more volume and attack than my nails which seem to be made of very thin marzipan.....

I started using them when I was playing almost exclusively resonators and it's just the most effective way to access a reso's dynamic range.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I find screws hold better, and less chance of the hammer damaging the nice spruce top...
    I find screws hold better, and less chance of the hammer damaging the nice spruce top...

aren't you s'posed to be a forum break?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited April 2017
    I strengthened my nails for a few years with a clear, matt coating.
    Ultimately I concluded that I preferred the nail and flesh tone so I don't bother with that now.
    Building guitars ruins your nails anyway so you have to work around it.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    VimFuego said:

aren't you s'posed to be a forum break?
    Yeah, I am. 

But work is so bloody dull at the moment I decided to post here when I should be working and use my free time to work on my projects ;)
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Sassafras said:
    Not enough sparkle for me. :)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    VimFuego said:
    Sassafras said:

you see, it's this kind of nonsense that really irks me, you don't need a long nail on your pinky.
    Yeah, but one short nail would just look odd!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Nooooooooo real nails i find the best not too long and filed at an angle which makes like a ramp for the string to move along and release
     (thats classic playing )

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    Is it strictly necessary to use fingernails in finger picking? I ask because I've been trying to learn, but my nails are bitten to the quick (because I am goddamn intense / a nervous wreck / in thrall to bad childhood habits - take your pick) so I've only been using the pads of my fingers, reasoning that if I wanted clarity and volume I'd either plug in or pick up a pick. Am I doing it all wrong? 
    some people play acoustic without nails (I assume you're talking acoustic here, no nails is a lot more common for electrc players), I believe Justin Sandercoe is trying it, so may be worth looking at his site for that. It's something I've never managed to get on with, which is a shame as I would like to lose my nailsfor bass playing.

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Is it strictly necessary to use fingernails in finger picking? I ask because I've been trying to learn, but my nails are bitten to the quick (because I am goddamn intense / a nervous wreck / in thrall to bad childhood habits - take your pick) so I've only been using the pads of my fingers, reasoning that if I wanted clarity and volume I'd either plug in or pick up a pick. Am I doing it all wrong? 
    Tommy Emmanuel plays without nails as seen below. I think the idea is to get callouses on your right hand in order play this way for extended periods.