Jasmine by Takamine...giggable?

What's Hot
I've been faffing around lately looking at expensive guitars for live acoustic use. Meanwhile, I have an old beater Jasmine by Takamine in the house that I've had for 20 years that we used to gig with in the 90s. Acoustically it's a bit zingy and bass shy, not hugely loud but pretty acceptable and dead easy to play. It has an onboard piezo but I recall that being really piezo-y. I guess it's laminate all round, MIK in around 94 I think. 

I'm wondering if this, with a K&K mini and a decent EQ / preamp might not be a decent live option initially, considering it's going to be open mic / amplified acoustic sessions it'll be doing? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    I wouldn't use a K&K on one of those - their main characteristic is that they represent the natural sound of the guitar quite well :).

If you can't get anything acceptable out of the onboard system, I'd probably put a magnetic soundhole pickup in - either a passive one connected to the onboard preamp (this can work quite well) or an active one bypassing it entirely.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• camfcamf Frets: 1191
    I'm just about to put a lovely Takamine EN 30C from the mid-80s up for sale. If you want to borrow it and give it a spin, you're welcome. Best, Cam
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Thanks Cam - I'm trying to rein in my spending at the moment by using what I have :) I appreciate the offer though!
    Maybe I should mount the Railhammer chisel humbucker I have in the Jasmine :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    I have heard a few jasmines, their piezo's do sound bloody awful, nothing like the hama news takamines, have you thought about a rare earth? 
    Maybe I should mount the Railhammer chisel humbucker I have in the Jasmine :)
    That would probably be an improvement over the stock pickup, at least!

I have a better idea though, I've PM'd you.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited May 2017
    I tried the Jasmine tonight direct to PA and it was barely passable. I'm sure a preamp / DI pedal would help but it'd still be very much polishing a turd  

The 00-16 with the Highlander pickup actually sounded pretty OK - still think a preamp / EQ of sorts would help but it would easily work into a desk with a decent sound man. Even strumming it came over ok. Quite pleased for now.

Singers J45 sounded like a woofy bag of shit so all in it was a mixed bag :) 
    You'll probably find the punters thought the Jasmine sounded good, if the Gibson sounded woofy...

• GassageGassage Frets: 30878
    I bought a Santa Fe on eBay last week for a steal. Superb guitar....utterly superb

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.