String types, formulations, brands - care to share your experiences?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7389
I tend to automatically buy Elixirs (PB I think), but aware that other stuff exists :-) 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26869
    Following. I'm on Elixir Nanos but open to hearing about others for acoustics.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15482
    edited April 2017
    boringly, I always go for d'adds phos bronze. Good tone, good life span, never had any issues with them once they bed in.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7389
    Acoustic Guitar

80/20 Bronze - excellent for projecting a penetrating acoustic sound with unsurpassed tonal range. These strings lose their initial super brilliance after a few hours of use. The remaining tone, however, is still pleasant and penetrating.

Bronze - a favorite of acoustic players because of their bright, focused sound. They are bright and brassy when you want them to be, with a clear, penetrating sound.

Phosphor Bronze - longer lasting tone than the 80/20 due to the phosphorus content. These strings provide about 80% of the brilliance of a new 80/20 set for a bright, rich tone that's not excessive.

Brass (85/15 bronze) - a warm, full-bodied tone with good depth. Heavy, louder and brighter and are often chosen by flatpickers and energetic fingerpickers.

Silk & Steel - offers the driving force of steel strings and the soft tonal properties often associated with classical strings. A center wrap of silk fiber provides easier fingering and minimizes the brilliance for a sweeter more mellow tone. Popular with folk guitar enthusiasts and finger-style players.

^ from juststrings.com 

comments/thoughts/brand experiences? 

Red ones are better. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15482
    quite fancy giving those newtone heritage low tension strings a go, may help out the old arfur in the fretting hand.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• I have pretty much moved over to Martin Retro Monel (nickel alloy). I seem to kill phosphor bronze strings within a 45 minute set, but the Retros last me a whole gig! They also have less tension and feel a bit smoother under the finger somehow. More expensive than the default D'Addario EJ12 but worth it IMO.

They sound different; a bit less traditionally "acoustic" than bronze but they work well for me. If using a magnetic soundhole pickup you may find it needs the polepieces adjusting as they tend to come set up for bronze.

I have tried coated but I always chew up the coating with my plectrum.

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7761
    edited April 2017
    FWIW Elixirs are slightly highter tension than regular strings. Always a bit more banjo like rather than piano like. Were nice on a GS mini

My take:
    Daddario PB, reliable all rounder.
    Martin SP, good too, lifespan is debateable but I liked them on an OM
    Newtone masters - Excellent, awesome
    Martin Monel, Marmite and can be either dull/clangy or smooth & woody but inspiring when mated w the right guitar. 

Less impressed
    Dunlop - bad
    Curt Mangan - bland
    John Pearce - memory fails but perhaps not as good as Daddarios

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7389
    This is perhaps an embarrassingly naive question : are there any differences in the plain strings between different types and brands? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    edited April 2017
    TimmyO said:
    This is perhaps an embarrassingly naive question : are there any differences in the plain strings between different types and brands? 
    I would say yes, but much less than with the wound strings. The exact composition of the steel can vary.

At least normally. Strange but true… I tried a single string out of a set of cheap Chinese acoustic strings recently, when I broke one and was out of spare 12s - it sounded fine acoustically but the guitar had a magnetic pickup, and most bizarrely that string was very quiet compared to the others, even the wound ones! It must have been made from non-magnetic stainless steel - which does exist, but is normally quite expensive so it really surprised me to find a set of cheap strings made from it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited April 2017
    I settled on Newtone Masterclass and DR Rares decades ago, I've intermittently 'had' to use the readily available usual suspects intermittently due to running out of my usual's, which always reassures me - there's a lot of very mediocre strings out there that sell plenty - it keep's the shareholders happy.  

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9575
    Generally I like D'Addario EXPs on my Dread. It came with Elixirs but when I switched to D'Addarios it seemed to gain a lower octave. They're coated differently to Elixirs (the winding is coated before it's wrapped round the core) so don't last quite as long, but a good compromise imho.

On my Loar I've liked Martin Retro Monel very much. I think they suit a small-bodied, mahogany back/sides guitar very well, especially if you do any capoed fingerpicking. Amazingly, they seem to last as long as coated strings. Having said that, it's had Martin Lifespan on for a few months now - I think they sound better than Elixirs but last a lot longer than EXPs. I should try these on my Dread.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    The only coated strings I like are DR Dragon Skin, but still not as much as the uncoated Rares. I really dislike Elixirs and the coated D'Addarios.

I still prefer D'Addario PB over anything though - DRs can sound great but they can also be inconsistent, which is something I've never found with D'Addario.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fishfingersfishfingers Frets: 103
    Uncoated - I prefer John Pearse PBs.

Using Elixir Nanos mostly - although they don't sound quite as good as the JPs they last for ages. My finger chemistry is really bad for uncoated strings!
    ICBM said:
    The only coated strings I like are DR Dragon Skin, but still not as much as the uncoated Rares. I really dislike Elixirs and the coated D'Addarios.

I still prefer D'Addario PB over anything though - DRs can sound great but they can also be inconsistent, which is something I've never found with D'Addario.
    DR D/Skins ARE Rares with their propitiatory coating =) - got it from DR themselves.
    as said - I've said them for many years - never had the 'inconsistent' issues - yeah I've read about then on State forums and I think there was suppositions that somewhere along the distribution chain to a big retailer they were being left in a very damp warehouse !, just what ya don't need.

Timmy - whats missing in that 'JustStrings' description - is -
    1: quality of materials used.
    2: quality of design
    3: quality of manufacture
    just like guitars spruce and mahogany guitars can have a lot of variety between them.

on top of all that you got the issue that certain strings sound 'good' on certain guitars add to that, what sound YOU consider is 'good' - usually your listening tastes will influence this.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    I find one of the pleasurable aspects of being in ownership of a new acoustic guitar is the process to find which strings suit the instrument the best.  

Over the course I generally try out several different brands in both PB and 80/20 in several different gauges.  

John Pearse and Newtone make excellent PB's, and their 80/20's are pretty good too.  I find D'addarios to be a bit too bright but any slight reservations I have regarding their sound is offset by their long life - they definitely last a lot longer than any other brand I have used and always find myself coming back to using them on my 12 string and other guitars I don't play as much as some other guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    I tend to use bronze or phosphor bronze, either Martin or D'adarrio or Gibson. I did use Elixir at one point but found them to be too expensive. At the end of the day I'm not fussy as long as they are decent quality.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10388
    I was using the cheap HB strings from Thoman .... I could get between 10 and 15 gigs out of a set and they are only £1.40 a set. Just gone back to Rotosound though as I can easily do 25 gigs on a set of those so it's less string changing. And you get a spare top E

I would imagine there's not a lot of raw material string makers but it's the way the ends and windings are completed that differ between brands 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I was the same as you using elixirs for years.Tried many others always seemed to go back to them.Then I tried Martin Retros on both maghogany and rosewood guitars.It all I use now.Give time at first as don't sound great at first.I find they have a softer feel too.and cheaper.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4149
    edited April 2017
    It's a constant source of chopping and changing for me (partially documented on here). The few options I seemed to have settled on now:

Dreadnought: Either DR Sunbeams or Newtone Masterclass PB 13-56

OM & J45: As above but lights instead of mediums.

Also have recently been playing some ragtime on the OM and am enjoying John Pearse PB silks (like silk and steels but with PB instead of steel). They are really interesting - super warm, very playable, not much quieter than non-silk strings but they calm down the harmonics which can get in the way for the style. Not universally appealing though. 

Have enjoyed the Tony Rice Monels in the past but I think they've changed something about them - the reason I stopped using them was because they actually felt stiffer to me than other sets, and when I looked at the Martin website sure enough the overall tension was shown as being higher. Looking again, it now seems to show as a bit lower and everyone says they feel slinky. So either I'm going mad or they've changed the core/wrap ratio on some of the wound strings......maybe I'll give them another go.
    edited April 2017
    Beware the big boys marketing - they have been known to re-write history-
    viz -

the Vinci strings were STEEL - core AND wrap with a nickel plating, TR used them and exclusively, previously they were made by D'Auquisto which went outa business. Thats what he played making all those recordings so when folks talk about Tony's trademark tone - they're talking about STEEL strings - literally (with a nickel coating). He started using 'Monel' strings relatively recently. You can read between the lines - but he ‘got into’ a franchise deal with another big company who, as I say - re-wrote history - very retro - very vintage - very authentic - I suppose a guy’s got make a buck though.
    All part of the 'Monel' craze that's been manufactured over the past few years - prob something to do with the price of raw materials - ya gota admit - it's a laugh.

• LewyLewy Frets: 4149
    AliGorie said:
    Beware the big boys marketing - they have been known to re-write history-
    viz -

the Vinci strings were STEEL - core AND wrap with a nickel plating, TR used them and exclusively, previously they were made by D'Auquisto which went outa business. Thats what he played making all those recordings so when folks talk about Tony's trademark tone - they're talking about STEEL strings - literally (with a nickel coating). He started using 'Monel' strings relatively recently. You can read between the lines - but he ‘got into’ a franchise deal with another big company who, as I say - re-wrote history - very retro - very vintage - very authentic - I suppose a guy’s got make a buck though.
    All part of the 'Monel' craze that's been manufactured over the past few years - prob something to do with the price of raw materials - ya gota admit - it's a laugh.

Dismissing something because of how it's marketed is as daft as using it because of how it's marketed. if people have tried the Monels and like them who cares what the history is or what the blurb says?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom