• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Looks good!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Well what can i say.....WOW!

Gibson have dropped the ball selling this guitar at a ridiculous price like this, It's bloody fantastic :) :)

The satin finish is really nice and the overall satin feel is great especially on the neck making it so easy to play. It was setup nicely straight out of the box and i just lowered the action to suit my playing style and i've got it very low. I haven't adjusted the the truss rod as at this time it doesn't need it. the nut has been cut very well on this one as i normally find they're cut to high but this is perfect.

The 490R and 490T pups sound great so i decided that they will be staying if i could get the covers off and clean up the wax without too much trouble, That was an easy job and took only 20 mins to clean them up as there was hardly any wax on them. Saved myself a few quid not having to invest in new pups. I should note that it is the pcb system inside the control cavity but sounds great

60's slim neck profile feels great in the hand. Fret ends are a little sharp in places but a good setup will sort that and i've had that on all my Gibsons in the past

I will be changing the knobs to amber once i order them and will change the pickup selector knob to amber too. i will also put a poker chip on the switch to complete the Slash goldtop look i wanted

The supplied gigbag is also nice with a far deal of padding
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Gorgeous!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited May 2017
    That's really nice, like the "binding" on it, also much better without pickup covers. The only thing stopping me buy one is the fact it comes with the pickguard fitted, it's my pet hate on Les Paul's
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7104
    Can you post a pic of it from behind please?

(the guitar)
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    underdog said:
    underdog said:
    If you're worried could always use guitar polish and elbow grease? My goldtop is visibly glossy these days where I rest my hand, so should be easy enough to simply buff by hand with some polish or even a good quality car buffing polish (not t cut) but briwax so should be fine.

Edit: on Google people seem to have had good results with meguires polish.
    Many thanks I'll have a good look into that. I read to avoid anything silicone based as it will destroy it.

I though silicone was only an issue on old finishes and it also poses a problem for repairs jobs on paint work later in life if needed.

I'm gettImg mixed comments on this online. I know it's bad for nitro finishes but not sure about a standard satin finish 
    The satin finish is nitro.

I have a satin Junior,  the back and neck went completely shiny with use and I wanted the front to match so buffed it up with some guitar polish which gave it a nice semi shiny vintage look. :)

BTW I don't think silicone will "destroy" nitro,  people have used silicon waxes/polishes on old cellulosed finished furniture for years and don't forget old cars were once painted in nitro and  cleaned with silicone polishes.
  • underdog said:
    That's really nice, like the "binding" on it, also much better without pickup covers. The only thing stopping me buy one is the fact it comes with the pickguard fitted, it's my pet hate on Les Paul's

I hate Les pauls with pickguards too but i've always been used to taking them off and leaving the screws in so i doesnt bother me anymore

you'll have to buy the HP version as they don't have them on

• FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited May 2017
    tony99 said:
    Can you post a pic of it from behind please?

(the guitar)
    Incoming 

• FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited May 2017

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    underdog said:

I hate Les pauls with pickguards too but i've always been used to taking them off and leaving the screws in so i doesnt bother me anymore

you'll have to buy the HP version as they don't have them on

I will end up with a 3 grand Gibson I know how it works, oh I want no pick guard holes so have to get HP, I'm going HP may as well buy one with that fantastic case, oh I don't like the colours of the classics, I'm going to have to buy a standard HP etc etc :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324

For some bizarre reason I am starting to PREFER the aesthetic of the Tribute over a normal Les Paul Standard and especially the more bling-like HP models.

I think it is the classic look and less fuss...it is enough Les Paul to look right, and the satin is fantastic. My partner bought an SG bass a while back and she much prefers the less glossy look and went for a more natural looking version (I think it is the Special).....I think that is how I am looking at the Tribute.

The other big deal for me is the appearance of binding and the natural rear....I really don't like Les Pauls with dark paint on the back of the guitar....especially black...just NOPE!

I suppose the other thing is, the less additions to the guitar, the less you pay and there is less of a chance of Gibson mucking it up.

I'm going to have a think for a few days but I anticipate I will deposit one soon and keep it on order.