Just had a lesson off Esmond Selwyn

What's Hot
BarneyBarney Frets: 614
Just had a skype lesson tonight ....man what a player he is...he used to do lessons in the guitarist mags years ago ....really opened my mind up..!
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 275
    I agree with you that he's a great player, and a nice guy too. I've seen him a number of times at jazz festivals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    Awesome. How did you find skype as a format? Are you going to have regular lessons?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    viz said:
    Awesome. How did you find skype as a format? Are you going to have regular lessons?
    It was ok...iv done skype before...nothing like being in the same room though....yeah im going to do 3 to start with and see how it goes :)...just monthly
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    He's bloody good!! There's nothing better as you said being in the same room and playing.  Is he still in Wales? 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    I should make an effort to listen to him sometime. His old jazz technique columns from Guitarist have given me some fun workouts over the years. Some reminded me of Gambale-style sweeping and "shredder-level" alternate picking (all the rage at the time of publication), but Selwyn was coming from a different place.
    Danji said:
    He's bloody good!! There's nothing better as you said being in the same room and playing.  Is he still in Wales? 
    Yeah he is still in wales ...a bit of a trek for me though...yeah great player ... and great way of teaching ....seems to simplify a lot of the things ...not that jazz is simple but he makes it seem more accesable and takes out all the stuff not needed.....i get the opinion hes not a great lover of modes...
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    Great stuff, hope it continues to go well
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    Great stuff, hope it continues to go well
    Thanks Viz...he has planted a few seeds that hopefully will grow :)
    Just a update ...still doing the lessons and it's going great ...its opening up a lot of different avenues for me and everything is getting simplified....hes a great teacher and shows you exactly what he sees lacking..my playing is changing for the better I think ..ages since iv had regular guitar lessons and it's proving to be very worthwhile.....
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

:sunglasses: Really cool!

• you still on Tim Miller's site @Barney ?
    you still on Tim Miller's site @Barney ?
    No ...i havnt been on it for a couple of years ...it was good and everything and he's a great player but his hands are different to mine so some of the things were awkward for me ...also I found as with all the online teaching stuff it is generical...i think with the skype  or better still face to face somebody is listening and telling what you need to work on also ..and you can ask questions and get answers ...
  • Barney said:
    No ...i havnt been on it for a couple of years ...it was good and everything and he's a great player but his hands are different to mine so some of the things were awkward for me ...also I found as with all the online teaching stuff it is generical...i think with the skype  or better still face to face somebody is listening and telling what you need to work on also ..and you can ask questions and get answers ...
    I left too, after rejoining for a second time.  He wasn't really that helpful in answering questions IMO and the lessons were getting samey.   

Im only on Troy Grady's site at the minute.  
    Barney said:
    I left too, after rejoining for a second time.  He wasn't really that helpful in answering questions IMO and the lessons were getting samey.   

Im only on Troy Grady's site at the minute.  
    Yeah i know what you mean ...i did get his course off truefire and that does me really...enough to work on ...i find some of the things my finger are to short and fat to do the things he shows so I don't really bother...however hard I practise I can't grow my hands..lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 604
    Which part of wales is he based in?

notanon said:
    Which part of wales is he based in?

I'm not sure...im only doing Skype for now