SOLO of the Month #26 - Voting (Until 1st May)

Howdy fretboarders!

Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month #26

Voting closes on the 1st May at 11.50 pm.

Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Same deal as the main Fretboard Challenge, vote for your top 3 entries!

1st choice gets 5 points

2nd choice gets 3 points

3rd choice gets 1 point

You can find all the entries on this playlist

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm-26-2017-04
Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Soundcloud keeps crashing and won't play the last two entries, so will vote later.
  • Let me know if anyone else has that issue and I shall reply upload later 
    Old Is Gold
  • All working fine here, @Antique_Guitars and @Teetonetal - and pleased to get onto it early so I can't be accused of any Eurovision-style vote rigging :)

@Bellycaster  ;- 5 points - I liked the overlapping parts and it kept my interest throughout;
    @stratman3142 ;- 3 points - Didn't have the same opening impact as my first choice but very smoothly played - and the Bb at around 30 seconds is gorgeous;
    @jaytmon - 1 point - although a bit untidy in places, some really interesting note choices.

There 
    genuinely wasn't a single one I didn't feel captured something that the others didn't, so this was a very difficult choice.  Although admittedly I took as little time as possible and went with instinct, much like my playing.

Good luck, y'all.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Yup @Antique_Guitars working for me now too - I guess the issue was on the sound cloud side, I tried a few devices and it was always the same. Now fixed.

I found this track really, really difficult to get something I was happy with, eventually ran out of time and didn't enter, so kudos to all for actually getting something down. Listening through, it strikes me that no one really nailed playing over the changes and these are all quite meandering solos. IMO at least, one of the more challenging tracks to solo over.

5 points @imalrightjack ;
    3 points @ChrisRG ;
    1 point @stratman3142 ;
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    All working fine for me! Some nice work all round chaps.

5 points @imalrightjack - clean tone worked really nicely and some great runs. The double stops starting at 21s were lovely.
    3 points @Bellycaster - different guitar sounds adds interest
    1 point @jaytmon - bit scrappy at the end, but a nice tone throughout
  • @Teetonetal - totally agree. Once the ascent began, I was in fumblesville.

It has, however, made me determined to try and have a go every month as, after my first attempt two months back, I skipped the next one because it was 'too hard'. I don't play guitar often enough or meaningfully, so this is a really helpful exercise to force me to. Even if it's only half an hour. 

Thanks for the votes :)
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    Great solos as usual.  I'm going with

5 points @stratman3142 ;
    3 points @imalrightjack ;
    1 point @Bellycaster ;

I too struggled with the changes @Teetonetal.  I knew I was miles away from what could be done with it but I just couldn't seem to get close.  There are huge holes in my theory knowledge too so when Bellycaster kindly posted the chords i still didn't "see" possibilities.

I always learn something from entering though. 
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 167
    I apologise for the ending - ran out of time to submit a tidier entry so I went with something is better than nothing...!

Difficult to split them as there were good bits to all but:

5 points @stratman3142 - tight, clear and precise, good use of notes. Occasionally verging on too clinical but my favourite ending of the lot.
    3 points @imalrightjack - enjoyable, relaxed flow overall and I liked the octaves. Some possible uncertainty over the last few changes but a nice run at the end too.
    1 point @Bellycaster - Nice tone, good loose feel just a bit too loose a times and not quite in time (I'm aware I do this too!) A good energy though and I liked the note choice. 

Tough call all round. 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    edited April 2017
    Great stuff, every entry did it justice.

5 Points @stratman3142  Loved this straight away, very smooth and silky, wonderful bends and note choices.

3 Points @markv  This approach never occurred to me and it was a pleasant surprise, you did a wonderful Ernie there, got the tone nailed and solo really suited it.

1 Point @imalrightjack Nice and smooth again, like the octaves and some lovely phrases and runs.

Tough to leave out Chris and Jaytmon as they were both pretty nifty too.

You are right @jaytmon a bit scrappy in places timing wise from me, heard it myself and in some of my others. I'm an impatient bugger I have to admit, sometimes I start something and then can't wait to finish it. A habit I'll have to address  B
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    Good entries all round. I'll go for 

5 points @imalrightjack The tone and style suited the track. Lots of nice lines
    3 points @ChrisRG Melodic playing
    1 point @Bellycaster Lots of variety and invention

I did a bit of planning for this one. I was thinking Dmaj (or E Dorian during the first bit). Then Amaj (or B Dorian) for the second bit, with a bit of a tweak for the F#7 chord. @imalrightjack: well spotted on the Bb, which is the 3rd of the F#7 chord.
    I targeted certain notes, but then tried to bury them into phrases, so it didn't sound too calculating. Maybe I overthought it a bit :)

Thanks to @Antique_Guitars for organising this and @Bellycaster for providing an interest backing track.
    It's not a competition.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Was on holiday for this one so no time to come up with anything.  However I've enjoyed listening, here are my thoughts...

5 points @Markv - love the fuzztone, really '70s-sounding, which is great in my book.  I like the legato style and the composition is strong throughout.  Nicely done.

3 points @jaytmon - kicks off really strongly, keeps the excitement going, strikes a nice balance between melodicity (is that a thing?!) and flash.  As mentioned above, it could do with a little more polish here and there, but otherwise excellent.  Love the ending.

1 point @ChrisRG - some really good ideas in there - love the octaves particularly.

• voting closed
    Old Is Gold