High Gloss Tru-Oil trick

RabsRabs Frets: 2602

What do you guys think of this?  Seems interesting..

Basicaly if you don't wanna watch it he mixes a very small amount of mineral spirit with the oil making it go on thinner.  Looks like it does a good job..  I think this is what Crimson guitars did with their version... Made it thinner so it goes on smoother

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    I don't get the fascination with getting a mirror shine on an oil finish.  I don't deny its possible - but how long will that way?

Oils are best when they are not trying to be something they are not.  For high gloss finishes, lacquer is always preferable

I love oils, but i don't like building up layers of the stuff
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader

Yeah I hear you.. And indeed my guitars arnt high gloss and mostly I like them that way as they are usually natural or woody coloured.. So I don't even grain fill those because I want them to look like that...

BUT id maybe like a few that are nice and shiny because some people do like that... And it would just be nice to find a way that's nice and simple....

A few coats of nitro from a can on ungrainfilled wood is a million times simpler than forcing an oil to achieve a level of shine it's not really designed for.

i appreciate some people simply don't have somewhere they can spray... but anyone with any outside space can do it
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:

i appreciate some people simply don't have somewhere they can spray... but anyone with any outside space can do it

My issue exactly..  Which is why im always looking at this stuff....

I have done it a few times in my dads shed. But from what I know it cant be too cold or too wet out when you do it, so it kind of limits when I can do it throughout the year due to the silly weather in this place..  

edited April 2017
    also, if selling guitars, sometimes it pays to know what you can and cannot do.

Now my focus is not really on selling guitars, but just having fun with it, i do almost all of the work myself.   Before that when i was learning, i did it all myself.  When i was doing commissions for sale i always sent the spray work out.   I think i have tried every DIY oil and lacquer method out there along the way

My first gloss finishes where from brushed on Rustins plastic coating - i got really good at making that shiny.  Its gives off some really nasty fumes though

Then my cousin started spraying the stuff for me and it got loads better.   Then he got busy so i used a few other sprayers

I have always done my oil finishes myself - This pic shows the super thin semi gloss i get with my wet-sanded oil finishes

I have gone back to spraying myself recently, but i always did the thin skin nitro stuff along the way
    tFB Trader

Interesting..  Thanks  :)

So far ive been lucky that the people who I have spoken to about builds all want oil finishes... Seems to be a very popular finish these days.

IF (and that's a bloody HUGE if) I ever get to the point where I get a proper workshop I will want a spraying space though..

well don't let it stop you offering gloss - but i would suggest you find someone who can do the spraying for you until you get that spraying space of your own.

Its a big issue for many builders, they can't keep a clean spray room and a productive workshop - so they ship that job out.

Also, don't forget Blackmachine have never offered lacquer finishes.  The oil finish became part of the brand identity

tFB Trader

By the way for anyone who may have missed this on my Korina build thread I tried this last week...  Works a treat  :)

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    I've got a decent gloss finish with tru oil by letting it cure for over a month then polishing it up with autogleam car polish. Looks great! Don't know if it'll Matt back down with use,but we'll find out in time.