2nd Gig -after 35 years

What's Hot
gamagama Frets: 24
Hi Guys and Gals
After playing my only ever gig at a School Concert day  some 35 years ago I will in about 5 weeks be playing only my second ever gig! Help and advice would be most welcome. I have already read and laughed out aloud about the dos and donts for gigging reading this section so hopefully reasonably prepared. But a couple of questions I have which I hope you can help with ,

1. Is it a good idea to change your guitar strings for a new set before the gig ? I play in a Jam tribute type band so tend to break at least one string every 3 or 4 practices . Will have a spare guitar but not sure about whether it is worth changing  both guitars with a new set before the gig?

2. We are playing in a Labour club but apparently there could be as many as 150 people turn up so would a 50 watt head and 4 x 12 be load enough? We are going to have couple of practices at the venue in advance  to try and eliminate any epic fails on the night

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Cheers
Graham
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    Firstly, don't stress! You will enjoy it and if anything it will be over too quickly. 
    I change strings a few days before a gig and practise a few times, gets the strings bedded in properly. I'm a serial string killer so i don't take the risk...
    A 50w head (is it Valve?) through a 4x12 should be fine. I'm gigging on Saturday with a 25w head through a 4x12, first time i've gigged this rig but i'm confident it will be ok.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Wisdom for @nick79.

Graham, best of luck with the gig!
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 657
    1. Yes, maybe a day or 2 before
    2. Yes , how many in the band ?.....is there another guitarist ?
    3. Above all, get into it and enjoy it.
    4. Then get Pissed.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    I had a 30 year break between my last and last-but-one gig, so I have some understanding.

If you're going to change the strings, do it early enough that they're probably stretched in before the gig.  You really don't want to be spending time trying to tune between songs.

Try to get a warm up or two in before the actual gig.  Get a few mates along to watch a practice session, or one of your pre-gig run throughs at the venue itself (that would be ideal).

Remember to enjoy it at the time - mine was a bit wooden because I was too focused on what I was doing, rather than why I was doing it (for the fun).  Saying "relax" is one thing, doing it is another - hence me saying focus on the why (the fun) - which will make it a better gig anyway.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • gamagama Frets: 24
    edited July 2017
    Thank you for the advice much appreciated . There are 4 of us in the band  me guitar a bassist . drummer and our lead singer who also  plays guitar as well ...We are doing two sets about 30 songs in total which I sometimes fret about as almost hitting 53 years of age ! When we first started this many moons ago I knew all the songs inside out but sometimes during practice recently I seem to have guitar dementia and forget the odd chord but most of the time I get away with  it as I think we all seem to have our senior moments and forget stuff...It is all for charity anyway  and helps keep me young thinking if not looking!!!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    I play in a band that does so many Jam songs we might as well be a Jam tribute. Generally I play the chords on my own in the verses of songs like Tube station, Eton Rifles, going underground etc then the singer also plays guitar on the choruses

As you know The Jam is ALL about energy, just have fun, keep the energy up and the crowd will love it. 
    50 watts of any amp should be more than enough in a small labour club 

Have fun and enjoy it
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    We played quite a big social club supporting a Jam tribute. Their guitarist had a Fender HRD (40 watt combo)and I just had my 20 watt Lionheart combo. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Danny1969 said:
    50 watts of any amp should be more than enough in a small labour club 
    And too much if you were playing for the Greens
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Power will be more than adequate.
    Dry run throughs in the set list order give you confidence. Bonus points for short breaks and smooth links ;-)
    Be prepared with spare leads etc.
    On the day adrenalin kicks in (for all of you) so watch tempos don't creap too fast, but things will run better than you expect.

One last thing to consider:
    Amature bands practice until they get it right, professionals practice until they can't get it wrong. Things will go wrong but how you all deal with it is the secret

Break a leg Graham.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    It's one of the reasons that I have only one guitar in my band so we don't clash with each other's playing. Plus there can only be one guitar god in my band lol 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    We played quite a big social club supporting a Jam tribute. Their guitarist had a Fender HRD (40 watt combo)and I just had my 20 watt Lionheart combo. 
    http://www.maximumjam.com/

I was was racking my brains as to what they were called and eventually got it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 275
    If you do forget the odd chord, just keep playing and try not to get flustered by it - the muscle memory should cut back in quickly. Also, most of the audience are unlikely to spot a mistake, unless it's really bad, and they're unlikely to criticise you for it at a charity event. Good luck with the gig, and have fun.
    cheers guys for all the input still crapping myself but hopefully will go ok
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Just relax and enjoy it...nothing else matters.   :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    We did  it in the end dont remember much about it as you guys said it would go really quick  and it did !! 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Keep a look out for the A&R guys in the audience  =)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    More like paramedics at our age !
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2797
    Will you be doing more?  Don't go getting all Style Council on us will you?  :)
    edited July 2017
    Yes we are supporting a SKA band in a couple of weeks using a proper massive PA only playing an hour and getting paid not enough to quit the day job tho!