looking for guitar software

hi all , I recently completed a new windows 10 PC build. I'm looking to upgrade my guitar software to something newer. I used to have the old guitar port line 6 (circa 2003)  obviously times have changed, and looking for something simple, ie plug and play but really effective.  what are you guys using and recommend?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited April 2017
    As you're linking it to your computer, I assume you're requiring something for recording with a DAW.

I've still got my old Line 6 Guitar Port which I use with a old netbook as part of a portable recording set up that I take on holidays.

The Line 6 Guitar Port performs the dual function of an audio interface and amp/effect modelling. If you want something equivalent, then you need to look at practice amps or guitar multi Fx units that provide the sounds and which also function as an audio interface. I haven't really tried that route although now I've got a Helix LT, I could use it for that purpose.

The other alternative is an ampsim. S-Gear 2 is a good option. However, you'll then need a low latency audio interface. I need less that 10ms latency otherwise I start to feel it. And I need to subtract 3ms of that figure if I'm listening through my monitors instead of headphones, because my monitors are 3 feet from where I sit (it's ~1ms per foot).

There's a good resource on the latency of various audio interfaces at the link below

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=174445

I happen to use a Zoom UAC-2 which gives excellent low latency performance for an external unit, but it requires a USB 3.0 port to get the really low figures.

It's not a competition.
  • I think the Helix plugin based on the current Line 6 modelling is due out soon. It won't be super cheap (IIRC it will be $399) but I think it will be the best sounding plugin available when it is released