Miking Nylon Strung Guitar

What's Hot
DanjiDanji Frets: 225
Hello knowledgeable types,

I'm trying to record my Breedlove nylon acoustic but I've noticed recently the string noise when shifting positions.

I'm trying to minimise this by altering my technique, however do you know of any methods to cut the sound down a little? I'm using a Sontronic STC-1.

Is there anything that I can do from a mic perspective, for instance placement?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Try pointing the mic just behind the bridge, rather than at the neck/body join. If you have a mic with a figure-8 pickup pattern you could arrange it so your left hand is in the dead zone (which is much deeper on figure-8 mics than on cardioid mics, and at 90 degrees rather than 180 degrees to the wanted pickup).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    Thanks for this, I'm going to have a try now while the house is quiet! 
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Hope this is not too tangential to the thread but it's worth checking out the mike setup on this Jose Gonzalez video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo1zyMk1n5I

which is one of the best sounding singer+nylon-strung videos I've seen in a while. Kudos to the sound guys on this one.

@Moominpapa I'm going to have a look at this as soon as talktalk get off the phone! Cheers for the tip! 
    @Moominpapa I've done this and it sounds much better, I quite like Jose too! Thanks for this!