P90 recommendations

What's Hot

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Bucket said:
    Oil City Firewatch.

Had a Jin-Go and it was cool, but a bit shouty for me. The Firewatch is a bit more cultured and has more of that quintessential P-90 character.
    The Jin-Go recipe has been changed since yours @Bucket, it was one of the first five produced and we took onboard the comments you made :-)

Oh wow - fair enough!
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3132
    edited April 2017
    @Alegree ;Murky Horizons are definitely worth considering, has solved the lack of p90 bite for me and has decent ooomph in the bridge.
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    Oil city Jin-go. Best sounding P90 I've ever heard. Crunch & clarity, just brilliant. 
    Work a treat in my McCarty Std.  Somehow makes the guitar more versatile.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    Mojos - A3 magnet with a vintage wind. Sound great clean and dirty. 

I'm also not a fan of Seymour's P90s. I had a pair in a LP Special and they were muddy in comparison. Great with dollops of gain (especially with Marshall style fizzy grit) but lacked the clarity of a good P90. Also sounded flat and a bit generic clean.

All of these things are so subjective though!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledick said:
    Oil city Jin-go. Best sounding P90 I've ever heard. Crunch & clarity, just brilliant. 
    I was lucky enough to be able to do a direct comparison of the Jin-go and a (pretty decent) Wilkinson P90 in two otherwise identical SG Jrs. The difference was subtle, but definitely there. 
    The best I can explain it is to say it's like the difference between an MP3 at 192k compared to the CD you ripped it from. The Wilkinson sounded good, but the Jin-go had more quality, clarity & detail. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9986
    tFB Trader
    uncledick said:
    I was lucky enough to be able to do a direct comparison of the Jin-go and a (pretty decent) Wilkinson P90 in two otherwise identical SG Jrs. The difference was subtle, but definitely there. 
    The best I can explain it is to say it's like the difference between an MP3 at 192k compared to the CD you ripped it from. The Wilkinson sounded good, but the Jin-go had more quality, clarity & detail. 
    A few of you may remember when Jonathan @FelineGuitars had a couple of identical 50s Juniors in for some work ... he took measurements from the pickups and passed those to me. The results were interesting, and fed into what I'd found by rewinding and repairing other 50s P90s. Just as with PAFs, there was a huge variation in DCR, and almost certainly they used whichever alnico was in the 'bins' at time of production. There is no 'one, right' 50s P90 sound, but a whole range, some were more mellow and jazzy, others more brash and rocky ... production tolerances and specs were all over the place. This is why I make more than one flavour of P90 ... and offer alnico 2, 3, 4, and 5 as options (and alnico 8 on the Void ... but that's hardly vintage :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    Hi Ash
    As you commented here thought I would trouble you for a bit more info on the Diesel Tap says to order but not much else in the way of info. Have you gone off the idea a bit as there seems to be a few of us looking for P90 at the moment and there are an endless choice these days. So does the tap take if from classic to something a bit hotter. 

regards jez
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    uncledick said:
    I found exactly the same with an old Wilkinson in comparison to the Fralin P90 way more detailed and I could not really work out why even swapped the magnets back and forth for fun but the Fralin still sound more detailed as you say like comparing an MP3 to an original CD there is a cloudiness to the MP3 process that you dont really notice on day to day listening but by the time you get to 128k and comp to the original the loss of stuff like reverb and nuance on voice make it scary to think it became the acceptable standard. 

I am actually interested in OCP Diesel Tap might cover a bit more ground. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9986
    tFB Trader
    Hi Ash
    As you commented here thought I would trouble you for a bit more info on the Diesel Tap says to order but not much else in the way of info. Have you gone off the idea a bit as there seems to be a few of us looking for P90 at the moment and there are an endless choice these days. So does the tap take if from classic to something a bit hotter. 

regards jez
    Happy to do tapped P90s ... with that of course its easy to have a 7.6 low classic and a fire breathing 8.5 or even hotter in one package. I did a custom tap on a Void for a customer recently ... it went from classic hot to 22k at the flick of a switch!
    A bit extreme I grant you ... but fun all the same! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    +1 for Lollar true single coil P90s.

Which exact model SD pickups does the JA Telecaster have? Are the neck and bridge positions both lacklustre?

If the bridge position pickup is an SP90-1b and it lacks drive into a valve amplifier, steal an idea from PRS Guitars and replace it with the SP90-3n Custom. (Yes. You read correctly. Use a neck position pickup in the bridge position.) 
    Be seeing you.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Another Mojo fan here, just ordered H/B sized Goldfoil & Mojotron for a PRS SE refinish I've been doing forever.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    I had Toneriders and loved them .Two different  types ,warm and jazzy and hotter .take your pick .The tone was perfect .
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 219
    Ok, do apparently the following is the spec on the P90s in the Fender:
    • Bridge Pickup
      Seymour Duncan® SP90-3B Vintage P-90
    • Neck Pickup
      Seymour Duncan® SP90-1NRWRP Vintage Reverse Wound/Reverse Polarity cases
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Guitar pickups do not exist in a vacuum. How they sound will depend to some extent on height adjustment, amplification choice and individual playing style(s).

How does your JA Tele sound unplugged? This will (and should) influence your choice of replacement pickups.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well I played the JA through my 65 DRRI last and those pickups are just too much, couldn't get a clean through them at all. The seymour duncans are just too thick with no definition at all. I played my humbucker Tokai and it cleaned up nicely. 

Think I need something with a lower winding
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    Standard gibson p90's are great imho, probably the best pickup they make. No idea how they sound in a tele though...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well with this having the semi hollow top bout, it's quite open. The SD's are just....murk!
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    Mate, The oil city pickups I have in my LP sound great both clean, dirty, blues, Jazz (played horribly) and inbetween. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    which ones did you get @shaunm ;

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    Erm.... let me scroll my emails or maybe @TheGuitarWeasel  can help. 

Really they are are very good though and I love P90's. Cleaner than my BKP queens set but can handle a bit of dirt.