New Fender Mustang GT

What's Hot
RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
This just popped up on Youtube, the big one sounds pretty good, but I am particularly loving the way you can add effects pre and post, easy interface via the phone and stereo as well.

The little one is less than £200 too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Watched a bit of it earlier. I would have lived without Lee's jokes but there you go.

Oddly enough I'd watched a bit of an Helix LT video before and the Fender sounded much better to me. I presume in the flesh that wouldn't be the case (or maybe I just have cheap tastes) but seemed a warning on how misleading YouTube can be.

Based on the bit I watched the use of technology seems straightforward and useful and some nice sounds. They were using pedals for OD at the beginning which seems a bit of an odd thing with a modeller but shows it can take them ( often a problem with lower end digital amps).  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I watched that vid, shame they didn't show how to control it from the amp itself as it looks like it's got a useful screen. I thought the cleanish Fender tones sounded OK but the higher gain tones were pretty aweful. I guess this is pretty much the same modelling as in the current Mustangs.

Cant help feeling though that entry point of £200 is going to hurt compared with old mustang entry point of around £100 (these ar replacing the old ones I believe).

I also watched some Helix LT vids and I can't find anything that wows me outside of Paul Hindmarsh demos, and he's not to be trusted as he makes everything sound mighty fine.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1238

I'm tempted by the GT40, just to get a small stereo amp, however I'm holding of until there are some real world reviews. I'd also like to know if they'll still have ASIO functionality, but the Fender site doesn't even list the GT models yet, let alone any documentation.

the £200 entry point does seem high, and I do wonder if there are more models coming, as Lee said something that implied there may be more to come. Something about there currently being three models in the range. Having had a quick look at stock levels, lots of places still have plenty old I&IIv2's in stock, yet the bigger models have pretty much disappeared. My guess is once they've shifted that stock, there will be a cut down model appear, more in line with the old I & II with reduced on amp functionality.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    The Yamaha THR10 is £220 so I don't think £195 is that expensive relatively speaking?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    dindude said:
    I watched that vid, shame they didn't show how to control it from the amp itself as it looks like it's got a useful screen. I thought the cleanish Fender tones sounded OK but the higher gain tones were pretty aweful. I guess this is pretty much the same modelling as in the current Mustangs.

Cant help feeling though that entry point of £200 is going to hurt compared with old mustang entry point of around £100 (these ar replacing the old ones I believe).

I also watched some Helix LT vids and I can't find anything that wows me outside of Paul Hindmarsh demos, and he's not to be trusted as he makes everything sound mighty fine.
    I've had the rest of it on now,although not watching that closely TBH. Yeh, not the best for high gain sounds but that's not an issue for me - on my Mustang they only get used for two minutes of silly noises. Unless I missed it there wasn't a clear shot of the amp(s) at all, just black boxes in between their legs. 
    And, yep, at a near £200 price point I'm not sure I see the small combos flying out of the shops.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Visually IMO the new GT's are just a soul-less dull grey box...not dissimilar to the soul-less black box that are the Marshall Codes. At least the previous Mustang looked like a guitar amp.  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    edited May 2017
    The Mustang I remains, the II, III & IV are replaced by the GT (generation three) 40, 100 & 200. 

The software is totally different from the old Mustangs and thanks to the WiFi & Bluetooth it's very easy to update. 

This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    This sounds pretty good, will have to demo them at some point.
    edited May 2017
    MattFGBI said:
    The Mustang I remains, the II, III & IV are replaced by the GT (generation three) 40, 100 & 200. 

The software is totally different from the old Mustangs and thanks to the WiFi & Bluetooth it's very easy to update. 

Hi Matt,

A real plus point for the Mustang III & IV is that they had proper Celestion speakers (G12T-100 12" Speaker in III, and  2-12" Celestion G12P-80 in IV).  

What speakers are in the new 40, 100 & 200?  The 100 & 200 marketing material just refers to Celestion 'special design'.  Are these based on a stock Celestion but (as is sometimes the case for a modelling amp) with a slightly modified frequency response curve?  If so, what is the Celestion speaker it's based on and what impedance & dB sensitivity are they?  

(It's just that my experience with later generation Vox Valvetronix amps is that the quality of speaker sadly fell to save cost with each new generation).  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    The 40 has 2 6.5" full range drivers but I don't have the specs to hand. 

The 100 & 200 have Celestions designed specifically for the amps to handle the modelling plus the Bluetooth streaming. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    MattFGBI said:
    The 40 has 2 6.5" full range drivers but I don't have the specs to hand. 

The 100 & 200 have Celestions designed specifically for the amps to handle the modelling plus the Bluetooth streaming. 
    Thanks Matt - do you know the dB sensitivity & impedance ratings of the 'specially designed' Celestions?
    Voxman said:
    MattFGBI said:

Hi Matt,

A real plus point for the Mustang III & IV is that they had proper Celestion speakers (G12T-100 12" Speaker in III, and  2-12" Celestion G12P-80 in IV).  

What speakers are in the new 40, 100 & 200?  The 100 & 200 marketing material just refers to Celestion 'special design'.  Are these based on a stock Celestion but (as is sometimes the case for a modelling amp) with a slightly modified frequency response curve?  If so, what is the Celestion speaker it's based on and what impedance & dB sensitivity are they?  

(It's just that my experience with later generation Vox Valvetronix amps is that the quality of speaker sadly fell to save cost with each new generation).  

AFAIK, they are all full range speakers, meaning that it's more similar to a Monitor system than a Guitar Amp.
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    I watched the Andertons video last night. I know Pete is employed to help sell stuff, but I still think his reaction was telling. And I have to say I am interested. I will be watching this space...........
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1205
    Love that purple tele.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I loved my mustang 2  l had, it was awesome
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    Pretty impressive during the demo but didn't like the tone for the play out at the end. Lee is in need of those lessons too...
    Seems like a really good price. Wish Fender would make one to rival the size of the THR10's....in tweed please @MattFGBI  :)
    Strat54 said:
    Pretty impressive during the demo but didn't like the tone for the play out at the end. Lee is in need of those lessons too...
    Seems like a really good price. Wish Fender would make one to rival the size of the THR10's....in tweed please @MattFGBI  :)

The GT40 is not really that much bigger, I couldn't find any exact dimensions but I got an image and scaled it based on the size of the jack plug, the approximate dimensions are 370x260x200 mm (WxHxD)
    I found this Manual, answers some questions.

https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/115006900063/Mustang_GT_Advanced_Manual_ENG_7712493000_REV_A.pdf

Looks even better know that I know it has ASIO, and that you can hook up an expression pedal.
    Strat54 said:

The GT40 is not really that much bigger, I couldn't find any exact dimensions but I got an image and scaled it based on the size of the jack plug, the approximate dimensions are 370x260x200 mm (WxHxD)
    The 40 is 387x266 so you're pretty close!!

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    I watched the majority of the video and thought the amp sounded great. The app looks well thought out too. Would be interested in trying one out in person for sure.