Making under-saddle pickups sound a bit less crap???

What's Hot

Any recommendations?

I've got a L6 Helix incoming... does that have some loveliness to make piezos sound a bit more like an acoustic?

Or should I buy a TC Body Rez... or something else?

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    There's a thread somewhere on here discussing using impulse responses in the Helix with acoustic guitar. It sounds like it works very well.
  • @steamabacus. Not totally sure what an IR is (but I guess it's time I learnt!)... I kind of thought they were to do with modelling a speaker cab... but I could we waaay wrong on that... would IRs help to take away the quack of a piezo?
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    Here's the thread ... http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/101246/eqing-for-piezo-quack

I'm not expert at all this digital stuff but, as I understand it, it's the same thing the Fishman Aura, Bodyrez, etc are doing. You are overlaying an acoustic response algorithm to a raw audio signal in exactly the same way as if you were overlaying a speaker response or even amp response (Kemper, etc).

Stuff to do with fourier transforms and clever maths, I think? The work of the devil, if you ask me. :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @steamabacus. Thanks for the info.
  • JJW1JJW1 Frets: 6
    Until you have tried it with the Helix, I wouldn't buy anything else. I have heard some pretty impressive acoustic tones using the Helix, even from undersadle piezo pickups. What amp are you using?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @JJW1. Thanks... good advice!

I'll be feeding the acoustic into the Helix... and outputting direct into the PA.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7413
    edited May 2017
    Yep don't buy anything else on the hardware front - the 3Sigma Audio acoustic IRs work really well - just drop one in an IR slot and you're there. Add further EQ/compression to taste.

Or you can do a manual EQ job with multiple EQ blocks
    Red ones are better. 
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308

Any recommendations?

I've got a L6 Helix incoming... does that have some loveliness to make piezos sound a bit more like an acoustic?

Or should I buy a TC Body Rez... or something else?

Thanks

Hmm, after many years of trying to get an acceptable live 'sound' from an acoustic instrument - I've come to the conclusion that it's the 'information source' that has the most influence on the outcome - so that being the case -
    DPA 4099 Guitar Microphone or similar.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423

... make piezos sound a bit more like an acoustic?

Processing the signal from your undersaddle piezo transducer may not solve the problem.

Manufacturers have tried various permutations of the undersaddle piezo, magnetic sound hole pickup and a condenser microphone, suspended inside the guitar. None is perfect.

The Taylor Expression system is pretty much plug in and play/record. I like the L.R. Baggs systems with the Pressure Zone Microphone mounted on the underside of the bridge.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.