Practice? Bad Rhythm when you are pissed

What's Hot
SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
My rhythm completely goes awry after 7 or 8 pints of 5% real ale in the space of an evening.  The only thing I can stick to is a simple 4:4.  Widdly and electric blues is fine, but it's the sole singer/ acoustic guitar player or only guitarist that I fall down with.

Obviously it's a lack of practice, I hardly practice at all these days.  Being that there are lots of professional musicians on here and the old adage that you play around 20% of your ability, what's the best way to practice rhythm?  Does counting the beats actually help?  I've never done that, just used my leg, but for odd timings and weirder stuff it doesn't cut it as my brain forgets how it goes.

I'd rather not stay sober as I like a drink, but still want to be able to play and sing stuff in public beyond the obvious.

Any advice?
Backdoor Children Of The Sock
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Old_SwannerOld_Swanner Frets: 24
    Sambostar said:

Any advice?
    Yes, the foot tap and the count are key.  Find a speed you can get them both going while you play.  This will probably be a lot slower than you'd like.  Keep getting it right and it will get easier.  Keep making mistakes and it may not!
    When other sites and teachers leave you frustrated: https://www.taplature.com/ 100% Unique, 100% Effective, 100% Free!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    I was in a band years ago who were all pretty heavy drinkers (me included at the time) and the first couple of gigs I did with them were pretty awful so I insisted on playing stuff again and again in rehearsal. 

A few of the other band members started to complain "Why? That was OK". I'd respond by saying that fine now will turn into shite everyone's pissed. Rehearsal should be should absolutely perfect then by the time everyone is pissed that will turn into merely very good.

The repetition means that the actual playing part should require no effort whatsoever. Being a lead singer and guitarist means I have to have one of my parts perfected before I can put the other one with it.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
    Sambostar said:
    My rhythm completely goes awry after 7 or 8 pints of 5% real ale in the space of an evening.  
    So does mine. I'm not talking about guitar playing.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I think playing with accuracy when you'll had several pints is a big ask.

Stick with doing something more basic, like driving would be my advice....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ibisibis Frets: 8
    Can't help, my consciousness goes after 4 pints nowadays. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    either:
    1. drink more, more often. Build up your tolerance = less woozieness after 8 pints. Wussy.

or

2. get stoned instead / at the same time

problem solved.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    metronome, but you probably already knew that
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited May 2017
    Sambostar said:
    ,,,beyond the obvious.

Any advice?
    I'd be inclined to stick with the obvious.
    Can you actually play the song when you're sober?
    Cos if you can't do it sober...

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    I play loads of weird time stuff and I find counting makrs it harder. In fact if im writing during rehearsal  I usually ha e to get someone else to count the riff for me while im playing it as otherwise i fuck up the playing. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 776
     PolarityMan said:
    I play loads of weird time stuff and I find counting makrs it harder. In fact if im writing during rehearsal  I usually ha e to get someone else to count the riff for me while im playing it as otherwise i fuck up the playing. 

Did you start early today ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom