I fancy an analogue synth.

What's Hot

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6146
    KDS said:
    Thanks GilgaFrank. I've looking at the options. Don't want to hijack thread (I can start new thread if that is preference), I've been looking at either Nord A1 (2x is discontinued) or Moog sub 37. Both look ace, but quite different. Anybody got any comments? What about amplification? Studio monitors?
    Start a new thread, because you've chosen chalk (virtual analogue polyphonic) with cheese (analogue monophonic). You also need to decide on what interests you: the means (sound design) or the ends (making music). Every synth owner finds these are two connected - but somehow opposing - aims.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GilgaFrankGilgaFrank Frets: 23
    edited June 2017
    EDIT: That's weird, I typed this post then the post disappeared, then it came back ... what's going on here?
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    In case anyone curious to know how I get on...... I just ordered a Nord A1 :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think you made a good choice, the Nord is a quality piece of hardware. Have fun sending it MIDI clock to sync the LFOs and delay effects to tempo.
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    edited June 2017
    There is a nice modular set-up on ebay right now that might make a good starting point for someone.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162542738648?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

I don't have any background in keyboards or synthy stuff at all but I bought a Korg Minilogue at the tail end of last year. Still amazes me the sounds this thing can produce. I would love a Minimoog but just can't justify that kind of spend. Maybe one day.

Junkie XL is doing a wee series on modular stuff on YouTube just now. Quite interesting for folk like me who don't know the ins and outs.

I like Junkiexl's videos. But I wish he's turn the reverb down. :) I think it's a 224, and whatever it is, it makes everything sound great but a bit samey.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    Arturia.   very affordable.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    Moog Sub 37. Treat yo'self. Modulation on it is so intuitive. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Ro_S said:
    Just so badly made. Or at least the keylab series is. 
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    Ro_S said:
    I was thinking of the Arturia Microbrute anakogue synth.   I thought it a good choice for an affordable analog synth.,
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Ro_S said:
    Ro_S said:
    I was thinking of the Arturia Microbrute anakogue synth.   I thought it a good choice for an affordable analog synth.,
    Don't get me wrong - I think the Arturia stuff sounds great and looks good on paper. But my experience with the build quality of the Key lab series is shocking. Really, Really cheaply made and very breakable. They were so bad that I ended up getting mine for free from the distributor as we went through so many. All broke in delivery.

Shame as I'd love a drumbrute but I can't bring myself to go there again.
    I agree on some Arturia stuff. I had the Beatstep Pro, which is great, but the micro-USB socket is a very common point of failure (just 4 SMT solder pads leading to your typical stress breakages) and Arturia didn't want to acknowledge or fix the design problem, so I sold mine before the inevitable happened.
    My Beatstep is still going strong but it's in a fixed place, never moves. So maybe that's saved the USB socket!
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    +1 on the Korg Arp Odissey.
    For me the Odissey is one of the best sounding if not the best mono synth ever made - I prefer it to the Minimoog even.
    The slim keys are fine, very playable. Can be bought for £400 ish second hand.

If you fancy a real beast then the Arturia Matrixbrute is a-mazing. Build quality is excellent. Sound is mind blowing.
    Not a beginner synth however as it takes a lot of finesse to dial in.
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Also, don't get into Eurorack. Been there, done that, you'll end up selling most of your guitars, have a wall of modules and never make any music.
    It's great fun and can sound great but not at all productive, and a bottomless money pit.
    lysander said:
    Also, don't get into Eurorack. Been there, done that, you'll end up selling most of your guitars, have a wall of modules and never make any music.
    It's great fun and can sound great but not at all productive, and a bottomless money pit.
    I built my Eurorack modular without selling any guitars, it was expensive but it's in constant use. Plus I learned a lot about electronics by making the modules. But yes, it is a black hole to throw money into.
    The meanest sounds I ever heard from a synth came from a modular; one of the performers at last year's Leeds Modular Meet. If LotR's orcs ever went had tecno parties, that was the sort of evil music that would be playing.

Me... I won an empty eurorack cabinet with a £5 raffle ticket and sold it for £99. That's the extent of my interest! :)
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    edited June 2017
    I'm not sure if all these suggestions are for me, but I'm very happy with the Mother 32. I'll be ordering a couple of Werkstatts to go with it if I can get my head around what it'll take to add a proper gate in to them.
    Dodge said:
    ...if I can get my head around what it'll take to add a proper gate in to them.
    Just get one of those Werkstatt CV expanders, adds 3.5mm ins and outs so it'll interface to Euyrorack. Bit pricey but it'll let you run the Werkstatt from any CV sequencer like a Beatstep Pro or the Mother 32's CV and gate outs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moog-3-5mm-CV-Expansion-Header-for-Werkstatt-01-NEW-/272638776078?hash=item3f7a89930e:g:QV8AAOSwN6JY-N~Z

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    Dodge said:
    ...if I can get my head around what it'll take to add a proper gate in to them.
    Just get one of those Werkstatt CV expanders, adds 3.5mm ins and outs so it'll interface to Euyrorack. Bit pricey but it'll let you run the Werkstatt from any CV sequencer like a Beatstep Pro or the Mother 32's CV and gate outs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moog-3-5mm-CV-Expansion-Header-for-Werkstatt-01-NEW-/272638776078?hash=item3f7a89930e:g:QV8AAOSwN6JY-N~Z

No gate in on the expander.