Which budget headphones?

I'm after a new pair of headphones and ideally need the moon on a stick option of comfort, relatively accurate/flat sounding and under £100. I'm editing video in an office so they need to be closed back and wearable for long periods of time without getting uncomfortable. I'm currently using marshall monitors which sound great but the pads aren't deep/plush enough for me and after a while the plastic ends up pushing my ear against my head and digging in, uncomfortable! Don't need to be completely perfect sounding but I want a fairly accurate representation.

HD280 Pro seems like the standard option? Anything else worth a look?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    edited May 2017
    Stuck record.. Superlux from Thomann. Their big problem is that they cost so little they can't be any good. Well they are good, too good for the prices charged. Buy a pair before they are all gone.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Beyerdynamic DT770, a little over £100 new but very comfy including when worn with glasses, the pads are soft and they go around my ears. Make sure to get an appropriate Ohm model for your setup.

They're not flat, a bit forward in the treble, but if you're editing I find that useful, at least with audio anyway (i.e. easy to hear pops/clicks/errors)
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    I've had my Samson SR950s over a year now, and they've been great.  Closed back, comfortable thick velour pads I can wear for hours, tuned to be pretty flat.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Beyer DT100's.

I've used them for years and they are a good budget headphone that doesn't hype the sound.
    They are THE industry standard for a reason.
    They ain't pretty but every part is replaceable- the cable is removable- when it breaks you buy a new one.

If you do get one (and you should) then make sure you get the 16ohm ones if you are working in your studio alone most of the time.
    The 400ohm version is used in studios where you are connecting multiple musicians to the same mix via a splitter.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    The Audio-Technica ATH-M40x are good for the price. If you can stretch a bit further, the Yamaha HPH-MT7 are excellent studio headphones.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    @Rocker which superlux ones? There's quite a selection on there! 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    If the AT M40s have the same pads as the M50s then they sit on ear, which is worth bearing in mind if you wear glasses. I personally think around ear is more comfy over multiple hours, but especially so with glasses. YMMV but I've found it to be an important consideration
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    HD 681 @TTBZ. Slightly sweaty if worn for a long time but great sound for the money.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Cheers I'll have a look! I don't always wear glasses but probably should more often!