Ghosts in the machine... !

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Okay, so restored my network adapter. After 5 minutes:

- Current measured interrupt to process latency (μs) - Mostly between 5 and 7
    - Highest measured interrupt to process latency (μs) - 1434
    - Highest reported ISR routine execution time (μs) - 2.2 (wdf0100.sys)
    - Highest reported DPC routine execution time (μs) - 167 (ndis.sys)

... so I think we've found if not the culprit then a large factor in all this.
    It's the powerline adapter. They are notorious for ping spikes, drop outs and latency issues...
    Hmmm. I'm not 100% convinced. This all happened before with the prior setup too, which was using the WNCE adapter. Best way to check would be to get a long-ass network cable and connect directly to the router I suppose.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Okay, so restored my network adapter. After 5 minutes:

- Current measured interrupt to process latency (μs) - Mostly between 5 and 7
    - Highest measured interrupt to process latency (μs) - 1434
    - Highest reported ISR routine execution time (μs) - 2.2 (wdf0100.sys)
    - Highest reported DPC routine execution time (μs) - 167 (ndis.sys)

... so I think we've found if not the culprit then a large factor in all this.
    It's the powerline adapter. They are notorious for ping spikes, drop outs and latency issues...
    Hmmm. I'm not 100% convinced. This all happened before with the prior setup too, which was using the WNCE adapter. Best way to check would be to get a long-ass network cable and connect directly to the router I suppose.
    Yes, that would be worth a go - it's unlikely that your TCP/IP stack for windows and hackintosh is screwed ag the same time 

To be fair, some wireless adapters (not onboard) can be finicky buggers too..
    Look on the bright side tho, we are getting closer ;)
    Okay. Disabled network again, but left mouse and keyboard plugged in.

After 5 minutes:
    - Current measured interrupt to process latency (μs) - Mostly between 7 and 12
    - Highest measured interrupt to process latency (μs) - 151
    - Highest reported ISR routine execution time (μs) - 0.0 (Most odd!!)
    - Highest reported DPC routine execution time (μs) - 51 (classpnp.sys)
    You might need to leave it running a bit longer...
    You might need to leave it running a bit longer...
    Apart from the first DPC post, all these figures I've provided are 5minute windows. I'm trying to act quick coz I need to use the machine tomorrow for work and all it's guts are spilled out all over the place right now! lol. Eeks!!
    Fair enough! 

Still got got my money on that flipping network adapter!!
    Okay. Re-enabled network again but left the connection unplugged and left mouse and keyboard plugged in.

After 5 minutes:
    - Current measured interrupt to process latency (μs) - Mostly between 5 and 12
    - Highest measured interrupt to process latency (μs) - 54
    - Highest reported ISR routine execution time (μs) - 0.0 (Most odd again!!)
    - Highest reported DPC routine execution time (μs) - 91 (classpnp.sys)
    Okay. Re-enabled network and connected it directly to the router with a long ass network cable, and left mouse and keyboard plugged in.

After 5 minutes:
    - Current measured interrupt to process latency (μs) - Mostly between 8 and 14
    - Highest measured interrupt to process latency (μs) - 453
    - Highest reported ISR routine execution time (μs) - 7 (wdf01000.sys)
    - Highest reported DPC routine execution time (μs) - 192 (tcpip.sys)

So whilst the second stat isn't *as* high as with the Powerline, it's still fairly significant, and the fourth stat is actually higher.
    I think I've worked out a way to get this to happen more often. Set Thunderbird up to check my email server every minute instead of every 10minutes like it is by default. I think network/internet activity exacerbates the problem. Meaning I can do direct comparisons between connected directly to the router, and using the Powerline.
    Okay... so again, no graphics card, no audio, but mouse and keyboard plugged in now.

Thunderbird running, a Youtube 720p60 Dark Souls stream running in Firefox. Speedtest running in another tab.

Plugged into Powerline and running Speedtest at the same time as email and Youtube, I am seeing the current interrupt to process erratically jump from 8, 15, 20... all the way up to 145, 160.

Plugged into the router directly and doing the same thing I am seeing pretty much the exact same behaviour. And given it happens on Windows as well as OSX, and given it happened with my old Netgear WNCE adapter.. I am inclined to believe it's the motherboard networking implementation causing this.

What I can't explain is why I got it with the old 2600 setup. Because the network vendors are different between each motherboard. Previous one was Realtek, this one is Intel. Does that matter do you think? Maybe it's a Gigabyte BIOS thing?
    It's odd that. 

I think you are right - there's something fishy in your networking setup somewhere. 

The only other thought I had was there's something fishy in your router setup which is causing the issue.. 

Can you reset the router back to default settings at all?
    I would try to rule out the router and other networking stuff before the main board - after that, yep it's prolly the main board. It's an onboard nw controller ?
    You know what, the router has changed in all this time too!! So I think I can already rule that out! :)

Yes, it's an onboard network controller.
    Drew_TNBD said:
    You know what, the router has changed in all this time too!! So I think I can already rule that out! :)

Yes, it's an onboard network controller.
    Something in your networking chain is acting the arse. 

Either that, or you've replaced arsey bits with other arsey bits.

You've turned into one of those support issues that used to drive me to distraction when I was a support engineer ;)
    LOL. Apologies!!

Check this shit out though...

Before activating my network adapter:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/58m26ub6n3eti84/before activating network.PNG?dl=1

After activating my network adapter:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfiue29z87suj5m/immediately after activating network.PNG?dl=1

And that pattern continues even when directly plugged into the router. So something on this motherboard is actin' the foo' !!!

I reckon my order of play is this:

- Buy a cheapo PCI or PCI-E network card. Replace the onboard one with it and disable the onboard one in the BIOS.
    - If that doesn't work, replace the whole motherboard with a different manufacturer and try and get one that has a proven track record with Hackintoshes.
    - Buy a used 2011-2013 quad core i7 Mac Mini off ebay for around £600 and just bite the fucking bullet!

Thanks for your help on this, really appreciate it!!
    No worries on the help.

The PCI-E NW adapters are fine usually unless you buy odd no-name off of eBay. Stick to a PC parts place and buy a standard job. I'd be tempted to get a PCI-E wireless card as it's just the same to be honest. 

Check your manual as well - there might be a jumper on the mainboard to disable the onboard nw adapter (sometimes is, sometimes isn't)

I also agree - NW card def. worth the money. Mainboard? not sure - if you can get a cheapie with good Hackintosh history then go for it.

I think by this point I'd be getting my gums round that .45 cal Mac Mini
    Just noticed on your little screen shots - that fan shit really stinks of a process going haywire. What does task manager say is going down when that all kicks off?
    And if this was Win7/10 only I'd be firmly blaming windows autoupdate by now!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    PSUs aren't too pricey, no idea how many watts you need, but in my box of bits I went with an 850w job to ensure I had plenty headroom.

I do get occasional dropouts using Powerline between my router and  IP TV & Sky Box - both report intermittent internet connection fails. Haven't been able to work out if it's BT or the Powerline adapters - but no such service drops on the kit that's wired to the router via cheapo Gb switches
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback