Just fitted some Glendale brass saddles to my AV52 Tele

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
edited May 2017 in Guitar

I was having an issue with the 2nd string (B) 'banjoing' on the stock brass saddle of my Fender American Vantage 52 Tele. The strings have worn grooves into the stock saddles and the B string is touching the height adjustment screw causing a horrible buzzing sound, so I bought some Glendale replacements and fitted them last night.

I'm very impressed, they are not cheap but they fit really nicely, are intonated and the height adjustment screws are flush or just below the saddle so no ripped flesh when palm muting. The strings naturally sit away from the height adjustment screws and they even come with a coupe of extra shorter height adjustment screws for the outside strings, as on a 7.25" radius neck they are set quite a bit lower than the inner saddle and the fitted screws stick out a little. That's a really nice touch.

How long with they last? Will they get grooves like the stock saddles? I don't know but this AV52 Tele has fast become my favourite of my 3 electrics and sounds glorious through my Morgan PR12. I was getting ready to write if off and move it on a few weeks ago, but now am really loving it. It's getting more play time than my R8 and CS Strat.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    Interesting range of material options. I particularly like the bevelled rod ends. Square-ended saddles can squirm about a bit until they settle under string tension.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DanDan Frets: 441
    I brought a set of these not long back. I really like them even though they are quite pricey. Had some callaham ones before and they were a bit too toppy. These have still got a zing but a bit more low end.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I would've bought the hardened steel ones. No danger of wearing a groove in them and I think they sound very slightly better.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    Sassafras said:
    I would've bought the hardened steel ones. No danger of wearing a groove in them and I think they sound very slightly better.
    Remind me to keen my chips away from you in the urinals....
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2380
    Yeah I switched to Rutters Broadcaster steel saddles this time because I got fed up with the Callaham brass ones wearing badly. Did two sets over 10 years and thought enough is enough. I'm thinking its the compensated angle that lead to the poor wear more so than the brass being too soft these days. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Strat54 said:
    Yeah I switched to Rutters Broadcaster steel saddles this time because I got fed up with the Callaham brass ones wearing badly. Did two sets over 10 years and thought enough is enough. I'm thinking its the compensated angle that lead to the poor wear more so than the brass being too soft these days. 
    I'll see how these go and try steel if and when they wear out. The stock Fender ones got grooves after minimal play really. Does steel change the tone much?