Finished Pics! Ultra Modern Bass

What's Hot

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    WezV said:
    It's Ritter I am thinking of and after a google  I see they do similar stuff with the R8 concept.  Calling the tuners a "backside tuning system".  Snigger ;)
    Just looked at the R8 again (think I saw it on NoTreble a while ago) to make sure it wasn't a straight copy and pleased to be reminded it's quite different.  

Having said that, you are right - it is an angled tuner block.  I'd forgotten that.  Mind you, it's without the Andyjr1515 fancy fill-in wedge.  And I bet it cost more than £24.  And you can see the pickups.  

I can see that Ritter will be stealing my ideas left, right and centre...well, with any luck.  How cool would that be?  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BorkBork Frets: 255
    edited May 2017
    That looks nice
    Are your tuners at the back too?

Yes mine are through the back of the body. I had help in hacking the saddles off a set of ABM headless tuners.  The body rout also took a large amount of wood out of the back which was replaced with a screw in tone block on which the ABM anchors were mounted. The advantage of modifying the tuners was it alliwed the tuning knobs to be flush with the body so they won't get knocked or make it awkward when lying in a case. 

[This space for rent]

I also used a Moses neck which can only take a double ball head piece  I'm still thinking about a possible solution for that but it will almost definitely require modifying the end of the neck. For now i have an after market string clamp as a temporary solution.

[This space for rent]

Bork said:
    That looks nice
    Are your tuners at the back too?

Yes mine are through the back of the body. I had help in hacking the saddles off a set of ABM headless tuners.  The body rout also took a large amount of wood out of the back which was replaced with a screw in tone block on which the ABM anchors were mounted. The advantage of modifying the tuners was it alliwed the tuning knobs to be flush with the body so they won't get knocked or make it awkward when lying in a case. 
    Sounds like a good solution ref the tuner block angle.  I've no idea what kind of case Mick will use for this - the offset makes it very long and then you have the depth of the block and supporting wedge.  I think probably a large gig bad rather than a hard case. :)

Thanks for the input and explanation! :)
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    This is a fascinating build thread, love the ideas around it too.
    Garthy said:
    This is a fascinating build thread, love the ideas around it too.
    Thanks @Garthy :)
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    *cough* it's been a couple of days since the last update, do you not realise it's reading this that keeps me sane during days sat at a PC at work?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I thought I'd posted this!  Clearly forgot to 'press Go'!

Bit more progress.  I've finished the main carve and now have moved on to rounding the edges, etc..  This is a recent in progress shot:

I won't round the fretboard end until it's been glued in.  I've just had confirmation that the custom pickup coils are on their way, which is great timing because once I've got hold of those, I can make the shallow voids in the back of the fretboard and then I CAN glue it on   And then I can carve the neck!

Also good timing because I've just done the pickup cover at the back:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And a bit more progress since then.

The pickup coils have arrived!

Martin has wound them with progressive output to compensate for the stagger of the positioning.  They will be fitted from the back and have adjustable poles - again adjustable from the back

I've also fitted and capped the truss rod:

And just glued a strip of this black veneer onto the back of the fretboard to act as a demarcation line:

Here it is, between two substantial cauls.  I know it's only 0.6mm thick but "you can NEVER have too many clamps!!!!" ;)  - so 12 big beggars isn't too many:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    Looks good!

[This space for rent]

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    VERY interesting pickups... I've toyed with the idea of individual coils for various reasons over the years...
    Ravenous said:
    VERY interesting pickups... I've toyed with the idea of individual coils for various reasons over the years...
    Yes - certainly the first time I've tried them.  Martin does MM-style humbuckers too with 8 individual coils inside a standard casing.  Well worth having a peep at his website here    Interesting stuff.

My experiments in the very early design phase of this project - taking my fretless bass and doing VERY odd things to the height of the pickups and slugs led me to the conclusion that the slugs have to be close enough to the strings, but to be honest, the coils need to be too. As such, knowing I've got 3-4mm gap between the string and top of the fretboard here, I knew that an added 5-7mm of fretboard was going to be too much. So from the start, it was planned to do something like this:

The change from a standard pickup to the individual coils has made this op less scary....but scary it is nevertheless :o

I have created coil chambers in the fretboard of 3 to 4mm - and then an additional slug chamber, to allow adjustment to balance the strings, of a further 2mm:

So now I'm going to sit and think and look and think and measure and think and look again and think.....because I think this is now the time to be attaching the fretboard. And all of that pause for thought is because, to paraphrase the supermarket cliche, "Once it's on... it's bloody well on!" 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    And I sat and I thought and sat and thought again, and then glued it:

There are tonnes (literally) of force involved with those clamps.  at the back I have 3/4" marine ply lengths and on the fretboard itself I'm using radius blocks all the way down.  

I tried this on my last build and it worked quite well.  Where the fret slots are, I'm using a tighter radius of block than the fretboard itself so that the pressure is very much pressing on the sides, hopefully ensuring a tight, neat, gap free result.

This is an important (critical) glue job so I'm going to resist the temptation of unclamping before the morning....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well, bar a bit of tidying up, the fretboard's on...and in the right place!   :)

Fair bit of shaping still to do - Mick, the prospective owner, wants some of the edge radii wider - and there is the fine-blending to do now the fretboard is properly in place.

The black veneer witness line between the fretboard and neck will hopefully add a bit of class to the end result:

And now, the neck carve has begun.  Yes - spokeshaving rock maple and ebony is knackering!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24204
    WezV said:
    It's Ritter I am thinking of and after a google  I see they do similar stuff with the R8 concept.  Calling the tuners a "backside tuning system".  Snigger ;)
    Ritter would charge between £7000 and £12000 for something like this.

I got a quote a little while ago before I decided to have an extension built instead.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    Ritter would charge between £7000 and £12000 for something like this.

I got a quote a little while ago before I decided to have an extension built instead.
    Well - there's my price quotes completely up the Swanee again!

Started on the neck and a bit more body carving.  The scooped back and thin body wings is something I've been progressing and developing over a few builds.  There are two major benefits as far as I am concerned:

1.  You get an ultra-slim transition of neck to body - these are great to play at the upper frets:

Also,
    2.  You end up with a VERY light instrument - this approach seems to have significantly greater impact than 'normal' chambering.  This is a large-bodied single cut long-scale bass and is using pretty heavy woods - rock maple, sycamore, ebony.  And it's going to end up pretty much spot on 7lbs...

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    What about pot and pickup depths? It sounds like they'll need to be finely judged

[This space for rent]

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Wow! It's more like sculpture than a guitar, so organic looking, fantastic, another cracker Andy!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Bork said:
    What about pot and pickup depths? It sounds like they'll need to be finely judged
    Very finely judged.  Sub-mm in places...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28035

That's amazing - it looks like a space-ship!

Stunning work.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."