Finished Pics! Ultra Modern Bass

What's Hot

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Luminlay installed:

That's the garden chair you can see at the bottom...not the lower horn ;)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    You sir are a true craftsman! Had I a hat marking suitable breeding, I would doff it in your general direction post haste! Can't wait to see this finished! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Those Luminlays look cool, whole thing is fab, but the faux headstock shape jars a bit for me, the rest? Awesome!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 said:
    Those Luminlays look cool, whole thing is fab, but the faux headstock shape jars a bit for me, the rest? Awesome!
    Yup - it's a bit of a marmite one.  But that's the vibe the owner wants and there's still a bit of refining to finish it off.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    If thats what the customer wants.......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

•  How did you drill those angled holes? 

I used a brad point drill, .......
    So short answer "really carefully" then :)
     How did you drill those angled holes? 

I used a brad point drill, .......
    So short answer "really carefully" then :)
    Yes - indeed.  Same goes for the whole build, to be honest!

Today has been some final-ish sanding and shaping before the frets go in - hopefully in the next day or two.

First dozen frets installed :)   :

In the 'hammer them or caul them' debate, I do a bit of both. 

I put them in 4 at a time, using the 'fret radiused tighter than the fretboard, tiny bead of titebond on the tangs, then tap one side, tap the other side, tap the middle' method to make sure the tangs are properly locked in. I then clamp the appropriate radius block on the four I've just done for half an hour or so.

Note I've finished the ends on the bass side before installing. I will do that also on the upper frets where the slots are blind due to the upper horn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28035
    tiny bead of titebond on the tangs
    Dang it - you're so much smarter than me!

I spend ages injecting titebond into the slot with a syringe and blunted needle.

I feel really stupid now. Light the lamp, not the rat... :s
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    tiny bead of titebond on the tangs
    Dang it - you're so much smarter than me!

I spend ages injecting titebond into the slot with a syringe and blunted needle.

I feel really stupid now. Light the lamp, not the rat... :s
    I have those moments often - where I see how someone else does a common task and think 'Ah...hmmmm' .  

But, in my case, I then change the crazy way I've been doing things for years and simply pretend I always used to do it the better way ;)
    My way looks more cleverer though, right?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    My way looks more cleverer though, right?
    Oh absolutely...absolutely ;)
    Now it really IS starting to look like a bass

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    Now it really IS starting to look like a bass

A seductively melted bass.   Kinda like an M&S ad for some kind of white chocolate dessert
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Looks like Dali drew a Jazzmaster. Superb!
    Thanks, folks :)

Next big task is the control chamber and cover. This is a bit chicken and egg and will need me to make up some routing templates. Looking at the John East pre-amp circuit, there are optional connection points for master vol, piezo / magnetic blend, piezo tone and magnetic tone. So hang it - may as well try to get ALL of those in, if I can ;)

To get the above in full, I need one more pot - Artec do a mini concentric pot that I could use for the two tones, but in terms of footprint, this is basically how it would fit (and also these are not the final knobs):

If the concentric tones is a no go, actually the above would work with a dual gang pot, one wired to the piezo and one to the magnetic and then just use the blend to get the right vibe...

Either way, with a bit of squaring off of the two chambers, it will fit. The usability is also OK - you would just reach down and roll the knobs from their sides.

I do need to get the dividing wall quite a bit thinner - the two pots John recommends for the blend and master volume are only available in short thread. With care, though, it should be fine.

Once the shape of the chamber has been tweaked, I can then rout the rebate for the cover...

Oh - and ignore the ragged corner of the tuner block chamber - haven't got there yet! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Instead of thinning the wall, could you use threaded bushings to mount them? A bit like how tuners are mounted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    Instead of thinning the wall, could you use threaded bushings to mount them? A bit like how tuners are mounted.
    Hmmmm - that's a thought... The spindle itself might not be quite long enough, but it would be an elegant solution :). Thanks for the thought ;)
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I'm no woodworking expert but I would worry about making that wall too thin - cack handed knob twiddlers or a jolt to the cable could be a disaster waiting to happen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2017
    Gagaryn said:
    I'm no woodworking expert but I would worry about making that wall too thin - cack handed knob twiddlers or a jolt to the cable could be a disaster waiting to happen.
    I know what you mean, but the tops for many guitar control chambers are just as thin - it's simply that you don't see it.  

Having said that, I've been looking at @Sporky 's suggestion and I think it may well be a go-er.  I couldn't find M7 internally threaded bushes or inserts anywhere (M6 yes, M8 yes but M7 no) but I think there's JUST enough meat on a standard machine head threaded bush to bore out to 6.5mm (done successfully) and cut a M7 thread internally (M7 tap in the post).  It doesn't need much welly because I will use the pot tabs to prevent the pot twisting so even though the modded inserts will be super thinwall, it should still be strong enough.  I'll let you know, Sporky