Amps where the incessant twiddling of control knobs and settings nearly drove you mad ?

What's Hot

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    HAL9000 said:
    Fuengi said:
    Fender Mustang 3 has 99 preset amp models and they all sounded horrible to me. Spent forever trying to get a reasonable sound by twiddling. 

Now using a Yerasov GTA 15 which has volume + tone and sounds great on any setting. 

^ It seems to be a thing with solid-state amps that the manufacturers feel the need to a hundred amp models (most of which you will never use), lots of effects (which never seem to sound as good as a half-decent pedal), and then to parameterise those effects into submission. Then add USB connections for adding patches, changing firmware, etc. I'd rather the manufacturers simply spent their budget on simply building a decent quality no-nonsense, ready-to-go amp.
    Amen to that.

I spent about 45 mins in dawsons with mustang 3  tediously scrolling thru endless presets of shite trying to find something i liked, didnt find anything. The plug in and play ideology is where its at, if only all amp companies realised this.
    I did that with my mustang... Then set up a clean channel, saved it, dialed in the tone settings and haven't touched anything but the volume knob since. Everything else is done with pedals. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    I have a Mesa Express which has a lot of possible adjustments - 2 channels,  each with 2 different voicings, plus individual gain, volume, bass, Middle, treble and reverb controls for each channel. Then on top of that, you can further shape the tone of each channel before it hits the power amp with a further choice of contour tone control or 5 band graphic eq. Finally. You can choose to run each channel at 5w in class a, 15w class A/B or 25w. It can be a challenge to get what you want but it also enables you to get a good variety of tones. 
    On the other hand, the natural channel on my Orange Rocker 30 only has one dial - a volume control, so I've got both ends of the spectrum covered. 
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Closest for me would have been my Mesa F50, and it didn't really have that many controls....... Sounded great when dialed in right but it sounded different every time i plugged in. Very dependent on where it was, hence some gig sit sounded killer, others not so much. 
    Thats what frustrated me about it to be honest, so i let it go. 
    Although i do miss it from time to time.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited May 2017
    Fuengi said:
    Fender Mustang 3 has 99 preset amp models and they all sounded horrible to me. Spent forever trying to get a reasonable sound by twiddling.  
    Smashing little amp, dead easy to get good tones from - but then I'm very familiar with modelling gear.  I had a Mustang III on a trial period but only because it didn't have an extn cab out I went for something else.  Our singer/second guitarist has a nice special edition red one - it sounds great and it's a loud beast too.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Fryette Sig X

Sounded great but way too much going on for me.
  • JayBJayB Frets: 4
    Boogie MKIV. Great amp and toured with one for many years, but it almost did 'too much' and I found myself tweaking too much. Have used a Divided by 13 Sjt for around 10 years now. Just Volume, Treble, Bass and Reverb. Just need to add any pedals I need and that's it. Simples!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    timmysoft said:
    I dont ever get this, its like guys who tweak on stage, why do you need to do that?

hot sweaty audience!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Hughes and kettner switchblade 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Vox VT20+ ... my first amp and such a faff. Some of the controls doubled up and without the manual to hand it was overkill for a green fingered newbie to guitar. Spent more time experimenting with sounds than practicing and learning chords. Needless to say it lasted about 3 months before i traded it in for a far simpler but greater valve amp. Would never bother with another. Sorry Vox.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    HELIX !
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Dominic said:
    HELIX !
    That's pretty much the only reason i haven't pulled the trigger on one yet (well that and the price..) Worried i'll spend so long fiddling with it that i won't get any playing done
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    There is an inherent beauty in an amp with a volume control and tone knob isnt there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    There is an inherent beauty in an amp with a volume control and tone knob isnt there.
    No
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    timmysoft said:
    No
    One too many knobs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3741
    Mesa Boogie Mark V: 25.  So I got a Kemper  =)
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Why do people who only like a volume and a tone knob go ahead and buy amps/multifx with more options, then moan about it?
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Bidley said:
    Why do people who only like a volume and a tone knob go ahead and buy amps/multifx with more options, then moan about it?
    Cos otherwise we would all have to you know. Actually make music. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Bidley said:
    Sorry i can't really play music right now, i'm too busy achieving "bloom" and "clipped cleans".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    timmysoft said:
    Bidley said:
    Sorry i can't really play music right now, i'm too busy achieving "bloom" and "clipped cleans".
    Well.........im sitting here producing complex harmonics, chirp ,buttery treble and complex mids.