Any Gretsch users out there, I think I'm getting seriously addicted to Gretschs...

What's Hot
riscadoriscado Frets: 180
edited July 2017 in Guitar
Found a nice deal on a custom shop Stephen Stern duo jet, also looking at some old gretschs... also really like the japanese built vintage series.

Anyone here using gretschs, would love hear more about them.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7846
    I'm a big Gretsch nut.  There are a few of here, such as @Bill @musicman100 ..... @Dominic has a few nice ones too.

MusicMan100's Gretsch collection is breathtaking.

I have a Steve Stern 59 Anniversary.  It's a thing of beauty :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    The Japanese made instruments are excellent and compatible in quality with any high end guitar. Mostly vintage accurate and far better than the cheaper options from Gretsch.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    Show us some Gretsch's please, convince me they've got what it takes . . .
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9527
    I've got a Black Falcon 6136 Players Edition.

It is magnificent. Stable tuning, and surprisingly versatile...

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    What is not to like??

edited May 2017

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited May 2017
    I just don't get how it took me almost 20 years to become so  interested in them... I mean I was always aware of the brand, but never considered going for one. Now, I'm in love with the sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    edited May 2017
    Duo jets are like a perfect crossbreed of a thinline telecaster & les paul. Tonally clear and acoustic like when clean but still fat with drive. They do have less sustain than a pure solidbody if thats an important part of your lead playing. Because of the higher bridges you can also use a bigsby without a tension bar (much better feel).
    Try and play one in person. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    They're brilliant guitars, if a little misunderstood by those who are used to playing straight rock on a Les Paul with everything on 10. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited July 2017
    what's the take on old 50s gretschs, I've been reading they're hit and miss, mostly due to consistency issues in manufacturing of neck joint/binding? Anyone have experience with them as well, are they worth checking?

I'm definitely leaning more towards duo-jet/fire-jet/silver-jet/penguins formats, even though 6120/falcons also look amazing.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Are we saying steer clear of the Electromatic Series? 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    Fuengi said:
    Are we saying steer clear of the Electromatic Series? 
    Not at all. I had a G5122 DC that, upgraded pickups aside, was a great guitar as it came from the factory. The latest ones are meant to be absolutely fantastic.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited July 2017
    I certainly didn't mean to say that... nothing wrong with electromatic series.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited June 2017
    My old man got himself a new Electromatic last year and is totally in love with it. I can't remember the model number but it is a double cut centre block model with bigsby and blacktop filtertrons. He's away on holiday at the moment so I borrowed it for a couple of nights and it's amazing. Not 100% convinced about the neck profile but there's nothing wrong with it either (very similar to my Epi LP Standard I'd say, but squarer than my SG faded).

It sounds amazing for anything either of us have played on it - clean to AC/DC or Led Zep - and sounds lovely unplugged too.

The whole Gretsch range has been catching my eye a lot lately, I am really keen on getting myself a Gretsch when I'm next guitar shopping. Although that's unlikely to be soon.

Edit - pretty sure it's a 5422T

Zombie Edit - it's a 5422TDC

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    Cabicular said:

WOWZERS !!! What a great line up !
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    edited May 2017
    Here are my three beauties:

We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    edited May 2017
    andyp said:
    My old man got himself a new Electromatic last year and is totally in love with it. I can't remember the model number but it is a double cut centre block model with bigsby and blacktop filtertrons. He's away on holiday at the moment so I borrowed it for a couple of nights and it's amazing. Not 100% convinced about the neck profile but there's nothing wrong with it either (very similar to my Epi LP Standard I'd say, but squarer than my SG faded).

It sounds amazing for anything either of us have played on it - clean to AC/DC or Led Zep - and sounds lovely unplugged too.

The whole Gretsch range has been catching my eye a lot lately, I am really keen on getting myself a Gretsch when I'm next guitar shopping. Although that's unlikely to be soon.

Edit - pretty sure it's a 5422T

Concur. When I was Gretsch shopping a couple months ago I spent some time on a 2017 5422 at Guitar Village, it was crazy good. Probably the finest far-east made guitar (not counting Japan) I've ever played. Bought a 6119 instead, but it was tough to put the Korean one down. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    TonyR said:
    Here are my three beauties:

Oooft very nice
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10267
    Got this G5420T a couple of months ago.Don't be put off by the Electrmatic range,my guitar is absolutely flawless.Fantastic build quality and,although I'm a tinkerer,this one is staying completely stock.It honestly,to me anyway,doesn't need anything changing.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Snared this ages ago- magnificent.

And very green

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom