SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS FT - Prs custom 24 - 1991 Opaque gold

What's Hot
vettaheadvettahead Frets: 236
edited May 2017 in Guitars £

Make and Model: Cutom 24
Year of Manufacture: 1991
Colour: opaque gold
Pickups: 59/09
Neck Profile: Wide/thin
Fretboard inlays: Split moons
Condition: Very good
Details of any mods: Pickups/mcarty switchingSee post below
What is included: guitar/case/soul
Price: 

Well, i cant belive im having to do this  Up for sale is my 91 PRS gold top. I've owned a few American PRS’s including a Private Stock, this is up there with my favourites of all of them It’s under-stated and harks back to a time before PRS went into mass-CNC production for lawyers and dentists.

It's a 'Special Order' gold-top guitar from 1991, with a small neck-heel giving great access to the higher frets. The neck is wide/thin and very comfortable. As a special order this guitar has extended factory trem-routing. There are very few gold-tops around from around this time, but those that I have seen tend to be DGT's, whereas this is a Custom 24 with very pretty moons.
She has a very clearly defined maple top beneath the gold which shows through in waves of flame. A number of my friends have suggested removing the gold finish and having what may well be a ’10-top’ refinished. I’ve avoided this as I think the world can do without yet another flameyPRS.
She's in excellent condition (one tiny dink on the top  and a couple on the back) with the original case which is also in excellent condition. There's just the lightest amount of worming and buckle-rash, but much less than one would expect for a 25 year old guitar. There's minimal fret-wear and she's set up to perfection. Tuning stability is spot on.
I’ve made two modifications to the guitar, both of which have been professionally undertaken and can be ‘wound-back’ by the new owner:

1. The original HFS and Vintage Bass pickups - whilst perfect for some - were not to my liking, as I was looking for a warmer ‘Les Paul’ sound, so these have been swapped out in favour of PRS ’59/09’s’ (around £320 new through PRS). The new pickups have been wound using the same old winding machine and using the same copper wire that Gibson used during their golden era of Les Paul ‘bursts’. They sound fabulous, but I still have the originals and these can be swapped if required.

2. The original pick-up selection was via a rotary-knob, like many PRSplayers its been changed to McCarty-switching, which means that the pickups can be selected by a toggle and coils split by a push-pull on the tone control. I have the original wiring, pot and circuit diagrams, so this too can be taken back to the original layout.

This is a wonderfully versatile and beautifully balanced guitar. The way that it’s currently configured can give you the sounds of a Les Paul, with the added advantage of two more frets and a rock-solid trem. She deserves to go to someone who will cherish and appreciate her versatility rather than keep her in a locked case under their bed. its a real heart string puller to let her go. Id accept trades on this for something thats saleable. Also open to offers, ill  be very sad to see her go and when she does it needs to be a good home.

https://photos.smugmug.com/TTPGP/Guitars/PRS---Goldtop---1991/i-Psqgctc/0/5a4e8e9e/L/untitled shoot-9165-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/TTPGP/Guitars/PRS---Goldtop---1991/i-r3G4kCf/0/4baa6c4e/L/untitled shoot-9184-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/TTPGP/Guitars/PRS---Goldtop---1991/i-MLL4Pg6/0/7b31b305/L/untitled shoot-9199-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/TTPGP/Guitars/PRS---Goldtop---1991/i-cps2RBL/0/3136ffc5/L/untitled shoot-9214-L.jpg

more very high images here http://proof.ttpgp.co.uk/TTPGP/Guitars/PRS---Goldtop---1991/

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    My old PRS :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vettaheadvettahead Frets: 236
    hope i did a good job describing her :)

Up! 
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1286
    edited May 2017
    That is gorgeous, have a wow.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    That's gorgeous! Love a goldtop. Truly exceptional man.
  • reece01204reece01204 Frets: 58
    Wow right there 
    up she goes!
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    Pics not working.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited May 2017
    Dodge said:
    Pics not working.
    They are and they're bloody lovely ! B
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    are the working for everyone else? fine here?
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    vettahead said:
    are the working for everyone else? fine here?
    It's a Firefox thing.  It's getting pissy about Smugmug's SSL, works fine on Chrome.
    I'll raise a ticket with smugmug. Thanks for the heads up
    up :)
    up

bumpy - no one ?
  • andyg_prsandyg_prs Frets: 57
    Hmm, any interest in this?

Bengal Burst, amazing neck, 24 SS frets, Gotoh 1996NE Floyd, Suhr Aldrich and Mama Supernatural Omnia pickups (can put original Aldrich back) Blower switch, tremol-no.....

edited May 2017
    Sorry, technology is driving me mad today...I sign in via Facebook but IE won't let me sign in....Chrome will....but I can't seem to attach pics....and tinypic where I host the pics....is telling me I can't access the pics I just uploaded :(  I have lots of lovely pics if I can only find a way to display them!
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    andyg_prs said:
    Sorry, technology is driving me mad today...I sign in via Facebook but IE won't let me sign in....Chrome will....but I can't seem to attach pics....and tinypic where I host the pics....is telling me I can't access the pics I just uploaded :(  I have lots of lovely pics if I can only find a way to display them!